Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, medjuck said:

Probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read The Big Sleep but this is really good.   Every facing page is reserved for annotations some of which are mini essays, almost all are interesting.  Maybe it will even explain who killed Owen Taylor. 

51PfXkNHY6L._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Gonna have to get that!

Among other things right now, two books about ECM:

Z1444640377.jpg

9781862078802_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

I just wrapped up Manguel's The Library at Night.

x11178.jpg

I haven't decided if I will read the follow-up Packing My Library, where he discusses having to leave his beloved personal book collection (35,000 volumes!) and move to a small apartment in Manhattan.  (I have to wonder if maybe there is a place between the two extremes...)

At any rate, reading The Book of Eve by Constance Beresford-Howe about an older woman getting fed up and leaving her husband of 40+ years.

That's a bit of a theme right now, as I also plan on reading Sandra Beck by John Lavery.

9216985.jpg

Then probably I'll be tackling Rushdie's last 3 novels, and then a huge box of books that I need to read (and get out of the house in preparation for spring cleaning...).

On 11/24/2019 at 3:05 AM, BillF said:

Would you recommend it, John?

Oh yes, highly recommended, Bill. I am reading it slowly and treasuring it. I am up to about 1944, when Buddy was discharged after a very controversial stint in the U.S. Armed Forces (he actually wanted to serve overseas and they wouldn't let him; of course, his famous temper finally landed him in solitary confinement before a medical discharge), and rejoined Tommy Dorsey (at least briefly). Rich's story is compelling (his relationship with Sinatra is detailed) and the coverage of the swing era is quite fascinating.     

Edited by John Tapscott

4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Oh yes, highly recommended, Bill. I am reading it slowly and treasuring it. I am up to about 1944, when Buddy was discharged after a very controversial stint in the U.S. Armed Forces (he actually wanted to serve overseas and they wouldn't let him; of course, his famous temper finally landed him in solitary confinement before a medical discharge), and rejoined Tommy Dorsey (at least briefly). Rich's story is compelling (his relationship with Sinatra is detailed) and the coverage of the swing era is quite fascinating.     

Thanks John.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, medjuck said:

Probably the 3rd or 4th time I've read The Big Sleep but this is really good.   Every facing page is reserved for annotations some of which are mini essays, almost all are interesting.  Maybe it will even explain who killed Owen Taylor. 

51PfXkNHY6L._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just started this last night, thanks to you!

3 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Anyone who knows Philip Pullman: would I be able to follow the new one without knowledge of previous books?

No spoilers please! 

I'm not 100% sure (because I haven't started the new book but read a general review), but I think it would be hard to get into this "world" without at least some knowledge about how the daemons work for example (they are similar but not exactly the same as a witch's familiar).  I would recommend reading The Golden Compass at least, if not the whole trilogy.