Now reading...

8 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I'm not 100% sure (because I haven't started the new book but read a general review), but I think it would be hard to get into this "world" without at least some knowledge about how the daemons work for example (they are similar but not exactly the same as a witch's familiar).  I would recommend reading The Golden Compass at least, if not the whole trilogy.

Noted! Thank you. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really not enjoying Lavery's Sandra Beck.  It's a bit too postmodern for my taste and there is an unpleasant Lolita-like undercurrent to many of the scenes (and because it is postmodern I don't know if these will ultimately be important to the plot, such as it is, or if they could have been dropped).  I haven't decided if I am going to push pause or eject on this one, but I'll decide in the next 25 pages.

I decided to tackle Rushdie's late novels next, so I'll launch into Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights shortly.

56 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’m having a bit of a tough time getting into this, which I didn’t expect since I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility. 

3B7A0234-A20E-4213-AFD1-471D91EA9818.jpeg

That's interesting.  Many Austen scholars consider it her finest work.  I actually have not gotten around to it, but it is on my list. 

Despite its killer first line, I definitely preferred Sense and Sensibility over Pride and Prejudice. 

26 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

That's interesting.  Many Austen scholars consider it her finest work.  I actually have not gotten around to it, but it is on my list. 

Despite its killer first line, I definitely preferred Sense and Sensibility over Pride and Prejudice. 

It’s a hard choice. I think I’m the other way around as there are some very great characters in P & P, but I also love S & S. It’s like choosing between greater and great.

I try to read an Austen book yearly. 

Wrapping up Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights by Rushdie, which takes place in the intersection of the "real world" and fable with quite a few djinns crossing over and wreaking havoc.  I found quite a few similarities to his children's book Haroun and the Sea of Stories.  It's not top-notch Rushdie but it's entertaining.  I do have higher hopes for The Golden House.

I'm not entirely sure where I got the recommendation for Eugene Marten's Waste, but I just read it (it's barely over 100 pages) but I wish I hadn't.  It's a morally bankrupt piece of fiction (right up there with Blaise Cendrars's Moravagine).  I do wish I had read the rest of the reviews on Goodreads, instead of stopping after skimming the first few.

13 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Waterland by Graham Swift

871594.jpg

A bit of a slow burner, but I'm enjoying it now that some of the (many) family secrets have been revealed.

That's a beautiful book, such a feeling of place. I must reread it one day. Not sure he's surpassed it although 'Last Orders' is mighty fine.