• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Such a good one!

The Long Goodbye: Chandler, Raymond: 9780394757681: Amazon.com: Books

I agree! It's become my favorite Chandler novel, it has so many layers of emotion to it, that with each read, I discover different things. Though, I can't seem to get the image of Jim Bouton as Terry Lennox out of my mind, Darn you Altman! (and I have an intense dislike of the movie).

On 9/1/2022 at 4:01 AM, Bluesnik said:

Yes it's a great book, and I was after the UK edition as opposed to the US, because of what you said some time ago. But I ordered it from my local bookshop and didn't know what I got. Specially since the cover was different. But now I know it's a reprint of the UK edition and can be calm. But it was logical they were ordering from the UK. I'm in Europe after all.

I may have posted this here previously, but just in case I didn't:

RIP IT UP AND START AGAIN: THE FOOTNOTES

“Reynolds masterfully captures the excitement of this period, when every week seemed to bring a new musical advancement”--The Tampa Tribune

That's something I remember very clearly from the period. All the times there was a new thing or current. But seriously. Every year was quite different to the one that preceded it. Maybe that's why I like so much David Bowie and his Ch, Ch, Changes.

Edited by Bluesnik

On 9/5/2022 at 7:02 AM, Matthew said:

I agree! It's become my favorite Chandler novel, it has so many layers of emotion to it, that with each read, I discover different things. Though, I can't seem to get the image of Jim Bouton as Terry Lennox out of my mind, Darn you Altman! (and I have an intense dislike of the movie).

I'm a huge Chandler fan. I think I've read everything by and about him except  his laundry lists but I'm a heretic amongst other Chanderphiles because I believe he began to deteriorate half way through The Long Goodbye.  (Playback is hardly worth mentioning.) And I think the ending of the Altman/Leigh Brackett   movie is better than the ending of the book even if the ending of the film is partially stolen from The  Third Man.   (Go ahead-- throw things at me. ) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Libro The Bandini Quartet : Wait Until Spring, Bandini ; The Road to Los  Angeles ; Ask the Dust ; Dreams From Bunker Hill, John Fante, ISBN  9781841954974. Comprar en Buscalibre

After finishing Simon Reynolds book on post-punk today I started this, which collects all of the Bandini novels by John Fante.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:19 PM, Brad said:

F44756E9-C722-4C2D-94CA-94A013E9D16C.jpeg

What is this? It reminds me of that great Iggy Pop song, inspired I think by his many train travels with Bowie in the late 70s. I listened to it once in the 80s on a walkman on a train blasting through Europe. And it was the perfect soundtrack. I remember it very vividly.

Edited by Bluesnik
typos

15 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Libro The Bandini Quartet : Wait Until Spring, Bandini ; The Road to Los  Angeles ; Ask the Dust ; Dreams From Bunker Hill, John Fante, ISBN  9781841954974. Comprar en Buscalibre

After finishing Simon Reynolds book on post-punk today I started this, which collects all of the Bandini novels by John Fante.

What is this? It reminds me of that great Iggy Pop song, inspired I think by his many train travels with Bowie in the late 70s. I listened to it once in the 80s on a walkman on a train blasting through Europe. And it was the perfect soundtrack. I remember it very vividly.

It has to do with a Jewish businessman trying to escape the Nazis after Kristallnacht and he keeps taking train after train but can’t escape them. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Matthew said:

Tom: The Unknown Tennessee Williams by Lyle Leverich

41+m4EOIo-L._AC_SY780_.jpg

Read it some time ago, together with a re-read of many of the plays. Fascinating!

Now reading:

9780330457422.jpg

Just published. My local library bought me a copy.

My verdict so far: "Good in parts".