Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wrapped up Farrell's Troubles.  I got about 1/3 into Hamsun's Hunger, then for complicated reasons switched over to reading (and comparing translations) of Gogol's Dead Souls.  I defer to Nabokov who thought Guerney's was the best translation, though I also like Reavey in the Norton critical edition, which has the best notes and probably the best reconstruction of Book II.  I do not care for Rayfield's recent translation, which is the one that NYRB is publishing.

51k29fHfXnL.jpg

Edited by ejp626

I finished the Guerney translation of Dead Souls and am about halfway through the Reavey translation, which has a reconstruction of Book II.  I'm also about 2/3 through Reuss's Horace Afoot.

I'm still waiting for Farrell's The Siege of Krishnapur to show up in the mail (starting to get a bit concerned...), which will probably be the next significant novel I tackle. 

I might read Kingsley Amis's Girl, 20 in the meantime.  

51aqU24NzvL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 2/6/2023 at 3:33 AM, ejp626 said:

I might read Kingsley Amis's Girl, 20 in the meantime.  

51aqU24NzvL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

👍

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

About 50 pages into Saul Bellow’s Humboldt’s Gift, which is based on his friendship with the poet Delmore Schwartz and is part of this Library of America volume that arrived yesterday:

9781598530797.jpg?1445894815

👍

Now reading:

ThoseWhoWalkAway.jpg

Edited by BillF

• 2 weeks later...

About 1/3 through Farrell's The Siege of Krishnapur.  I was lucky enough to score a Folio Society edition, which has some great illustrations. 

md3205574412.jpg

I will say I probably should have waited until the summer to read it (not late winter) as almost every chapter has some comment on the brutal heat and how people are nearly fainting.  I do find Troubles was a bit more amusing starting out, but this has many droll passages.  I've just hit the siege part, and the action is picking up.  

Will most likely tackle Baker's A Fine Madness and Percy Walker's The Moviegoer next, and then back to Farrell with The Singapore Grip rounding out his Empire Trilogy.

6 hours ago, ejp626 said:

About 1/3 through Farrell's The Siege of Krishnapur.  I was lucky enough to score a Folio Society edition, which has some great illustrations. 

md3205574412.jpg

I will say I probably should have waited until the summer to read it (not late winter) as almost every chapter has some comment on the brutal heat and how people are nearly fainting.  I do find Troubles was a bit more amusing starting out, but this has many droll passages.  I've just hit the siege part, and the action is picking up.  

Will most likely tackle Baker's A Fine Madness and Percy Walker's The Moviegoer next, and then back to Farrell with The Singapore Grip rounding out his Empire Trilogy.

Folio publishes some beautiful books. I have their David Copperfield which I’m making my way through.