Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wife and I just joined a book club. It's a noble exercise - a monthly meeting at the member's home, potluck, drinks, followed by the discussion. This is what was chosen by the next month's host -

Kristin Hannah - The Four Winds

While in possession of the library-borrowed tome of significant Amazon repute, I observed and documented an Interesting parasympathetic phenomenon. After reading the first 25 pages, this is exactly how my lower intestinal tract heralded the cessation - by emitting four giant, Texas-sized winds. Obviously I had to comply. 

My wife is promising to soldier through the remainder of this masterpiece of socrealism.. I'll tag along for company [read - alcohol], and hopefully will keep my mouth shut. But the winds...they may still make their way.

Just now, soulpope said:

Thnx .... btw this book (as paperback) is not easily obtainable in Europe .... sigh ....

If you'd like the book, we can get you a copy.  I'll be your "American connection," order the book and then send it along to you after I receive it. 

No problem. ;)  Just ping me if you'd like to go down that path.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 9:09 AM, ghost of miles said:

The second book of Ian W. Toll’s Pacific War trilogy—an excellent counterpart to Rick Atkinson’s Liberation Trilogy, which covers the American war effort in the European Theater:

41pzb2bCDwL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finished this yesterday and am looking forward to eventually reading the conclusion of Toll’s trilogy about the Pacific Theater. For some reason I seem to favor war and cultural histories for my morning breakfast books. Started this one today—all too timely, unfortunately, given the fascist evil that Putin has unleashed against Ukraine:

41wQHnhfjoL.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 weeks later...

547x840.jpg

I am a high school teacher. The main subject I teach are social studies ( I thinks that's the English term for it). It's about politics, media, sociology and crime. This year we have started a philosophy pilot. I am one of the two teachers. Philosophy has always had my interest and I once followed a course but I really need to read stuff again to be capable to explain things clearly to my students. 

Kant is one of the philosophers that is treated a lot. It's fascinating stuff but also a difficult read. It's even more difficult to explain in an accesible way to my students. But I love it.