Mingus Ah Um 80's Columbia CD

romualdo

Did the 80's Columbia CD version of Ah Um (Columbia Jazz Masterpieces) contain the edited LP versions?

I've listed the unedited times from the later remastered Ah Um CD releases

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - 5:44 (unedited)

Boogie Stop Shuffle - 5:03 (unedited)

Open Letter to Duke - 5:51 (unedited)

Bird Calls - 6:18 (unedited)

Pussy Cat Dues - 9:15 (unedited)

Jelly Roll - 6:17 (unedited)

Yes. Worth having (or the LP obviously) for that reason, in addition (obviously) to the Legacy edition.

thanks

Can't imagine this CD will be hard to track down

In the liner notes to the Mingus CD "Alternate Takes", Brian Priestley notes that the edited versions should have also been rereleased

"It might be instructive - if perhaps uneconomic - to have a fourth CD comprising the originally issued edits, just to remind us how creatively they too were achieved by Mingus"

The original Ah Um still sounds great and more or less perfect. So many plays over the years that listening to the unedited versions always sound rather strange.

Bought the RCA and Columbia box last week and played Ah Um for the first time in ages. It was one of the first CDs I bought (in the 80s with the Blue background). The unedited version of Goodbye Porkpie Hat really threw me since the edited version was so familiar. I loved it though.

I have a question though, I've given up on re-buying music I already have but I bought Monk's Dream on the same day and presume its similarly extended in the latest issue having bought the reissue of Straight no Chaser. I'm going to have to get this too...?

Edited by fent99