Member group gigs

Sorry, I'm working a lot of OT these days and had to miss. When are you playing next?

AFAIK we will be back on October 16. And hopefully we will soon be there every Tuesday.

Not an ideal performance space. It is like playing in a narrow hallway.

Better than having no place to play.

Edited by Greg Waits

By the way, we will be playing on Wednesday Oct 3rd as part of Sammon's Center for the Arts jazz series in Dallas.

Sammon's is a non profit organization which schedules decent jazz programs once or twice a year. I have been fortunate to bring a group in a handful of times. It is a nice break from the lame jazz club scene. People come to these concerts to listen. What a concept. smirk.jpg

From the Sammon's website:

Opening Group: Greg Waits' Jazz Refugees swing spectacularly into the first set led by composer/arranger Greg Waits on trombone. Also on stage will be Jim Sangrey on tenor sax, Terry Hankins on guitar, Mark Wilson on bass, and Garry Granger on drums.

Second Set: Stefan Karlsson Quintet Featuring Rich Perry, Alex Sipiagin, & Donald Edwards will transport you with the straight ahead jazz piano magic of Stefan Karlsson. The band will feature Richard Perry on saxophone, Alex Sipiagin on trumpet, the great Lynn Seaton on bass, and Donald Edwards on drums.

I look forward to hearing Stefan's group. He is an excellent writer and player. And I have always been a fan of Richie Perry, having heard him with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis band years ago. And w/ Alex Sipiagin, Lynn Seaton and Donald Edwards too, it should be a nice program.

http://www.sammonsar....org/index.html

www.gregwaitsmusic.com

Had the very real privilege of meeting Mr. Sipiagin last night and hearing him play a little bit (couldn't stay the night as family matters beckoned).

I don't say this lightly or politely - the man has a sound, a pure, full, sustained energy sound - that his recordings come nowhere near close to capturing. Those of you who know me well enough will know that I'm all about having a sound first and foremost. If you play well but don't have a voice...Well, this guy definitely has one and again, the records don't come close to getting it all. Plus, he's dedicated to the whole post-Woody Shaw school of extended harmonies (which I know not everybody has an appreciation of/for, but still...), and that stuff is very taxing physically for a trumpeter. What I heard last night was pretty damn revelatory, not so much in terms of the vocabulary itself (although there was no cheapness there, none at all), but more in terms of the "voice". Strong, serious, sound. Marvelous, very very marvelous.

If you ever get a chance to hear Alex Sipiagin in person, do so. What's on the records ain't half the deal.

By the way, we will be playing on Wednesday Oct 3rd as part of Sammon's Center for the Arts jazz series in Dallas.

Sammon's is a non profit organization which schedules decent jazz programs once or twice a year. I have been fortunate to bring a group in a handful of times. It is a nice break from the lame jazz club scene. People come to these concerts to listen. What a concept. smirk.jpg

From the Sammon's website:

Opening Group: Greg Waits' Jazz Refugees swing spectacularly into the first set led by composer/arranger Greg Waits on trombone. Also on stage will be Jim Sangrey on tenor sax, Terry Hankins on guitar, Mark Wilson on bass, and Garry Granger on drums.

Second Set: Stefan Karlsson Quintet Featuring Rich Perry, Alex Sipiagin, & Donald Edwards will transport you with the straight ahead jazz piano magic of Stefan Karlsson. The band will feature Richard Perry on saxophone, Alex Sipiagin on trumpet, the great Lynn Seaton on bass, and Donald Edwards on drums.

I look forward to hearing Stefan's group. He is an excellent writer and player. And I have always been a fan of Richie Perry, having heard him with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis band years ago. And w/ Alex Sipiagin, Lynn Seaton and Donald Edwards too, it should be a nice program.

http://www.sammonsar....org/index.html

www.gregwaitsmusic.com

Had the very real privilege of meeting Mr. Sipiagin last night and hearing him play a little bit (couldn't stay the night as family matters beckoned).

I don't say this lightly or politely - the man has a sound, a pure, full, sustained energy sound - that his recordings come nowhere near close to capturing. Those of you who know me well enough will know that I'm all about having a sound first and foremost. If you play well but don't have a voice...Well, this guy definitely has one and again, the records don't come close to getting it all. Plus, he's dedicated to the whole post-Woody Shaw school of extended harmonies (which I know not everybody has an appreciation of/for, but still...), and that stuff is very taxing physically for a trumpeter. What I heard last night was pretty damn revelatory, not so much in terms of the vocabulary itself (although there was no cheapness there, none at all), but more in terms of the "voice". Strong, serious, sound. Marvelous, very very marvelous.

If you ever get a chance to hear Alex Sipiagin in person, do so. What's on the records ain't half the deal.

I wanted to come to this but became rather ill on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably next week. The problem with Meridian Room is, ironically the lack of room on stage. It looks like we are playing inside of a closet with the door open. Pretty narrow confines.

I am looking for another empathetic venue, hopefully one with a kick ass menu like the one at The Meridian Room.

• 1 month later...

My quintet has returned to an earlier club where we were playing awhile back. The Meridian Room became much too cramped. The "stage" was more like a closet. It was just too uncomfortable to play there.

I dropped in at The Free Man Cajun Cafe (2626 Commerce St Dallas TX) sometime ago and talked to the owner.

We now have an open ended engagement on Monday evenings from 7 - 10. We are marking our 6th or 7th week there now.

The crowds aren't exactly huge, but those who are showing up are pretty enthusiastic. The thing I find encouraging is that the club owner is hands off as far as what we play, etc. We can try anything. And he likes us.

Come by sometime. Sit a spell.

No cover. Great cajun menu. Friendly staff. Parking is reasonably easy and the area is safer than people might otherwise think. Deep Ellum is pretty much pedestrian and family friendly once again

http://freemandallas.com/

Edited by Greg Waits