The great Roy Haynes

Hardbopjazz

I saw Roy and his band last night. 87 and he has so much spunk in his step, and he can still play the drums as if he's 25. It had me wondering, besides him, who is still around that payed with Charlie Parker.
Paul Bley, Horace Silver and Sonny Rollins are three more.
Not that many left. Any others?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Roy and his band last night. 87 and he has so much spunk in his step, and he can still play the drums as if he's 25. It had me wondering, besides him, who is still around that payed with Charlie Parker.

Knobby Totah-or however he spells it, Barry Harris-as a teen. Best I can do off the top.

Knobby Totah-or however he spells it, Barry Harris-as a teen. Best I can do off the top.

Mundell Lowe, very good! Recorded at the Rockland Palace. Great player ever since!

Mundell Lowe, very good! Recorded at the Rockland Palace. Great player ever since!

Lee Konitz! Lest we forget..

Knobby Totah passed earlier this year, unfortunately. There is a thread if you search.

Sorry to hear. I think we're misspelling his first name. Nobe? Nobby? Allen, help us out! I know he's foreign-born, and i bekieve the first name is not a nickname. Turkish? Aaalleen! I do remember him playing in NY a lot in the 70s, Lee Konitz Nonet and at Gregory's w/somebody or mther. Hod O'Brien would know.. Or AAALLLEENNN!!!

Sorry to hear. I think we're misspelling his first name. Nobe? Nobby? Allen, help us out! I know he's foreign-born, and i bekieve the first name is not a nickname. Turkish? Aaalleen! I do remember him playing in NY a lot in the 70s, Lee Konitz Nonet and at Gregory's w/somebody or mther. Hod O'Brien would know.. Or AAALLLEENNN!!!

"Knobby" is correct. His real name was Nabil Marshall Totah. He was born on April 5, 1930 in Ramallah, a Palestinian city on the West Bank and he died on June 7, 2012 in York, PA.

obit

Edited by J.A.W.

Nabil. Thank you. What part of the world was he from? I'm guessing Mid-East. We were at the same party once but I didn't get to meet him. He was on records and bands I liked. The '70s were happening in NY..Lee had g gig at Strykers, so he probably did that. I used to see his name at Gregory's-don't remember who. With Not Chuck Wayne.

Nabil. Thank you. What part of the world was he from? I'm guessing Mid-East. We were at the same party once but I didn't get to meet him. He was on records and bands I liked. The '70s were happening in NY..Lee had g gig at Strykers, so he probably did that. I used to see his name at Gregory's-don't remember who. With Not Chuck Wayne.

I have lowly cell phone and can't scroll enough to get every post. Why don't you just tell me where he's from?

Your wish is my command - not really, but here it is: his nickname was "Knobby", his real name was Nabil Marshall Totah. He was born on April 5, 1930 in Ramallah, a Palestinian city on the West Bank, and he died on June 7, 2012 in York, PA.

Edited by J.A.W.