Am I the only one who finds Fred Hersch......

AllenLowe

All this love hate of Hersch has me rethinking whether I will try to catch Hersch when he performs at Firehouse 12 in New Haven in October. In my attempt to prioritize my outings in the effort to reduce my unforgiven absences from home, I was going to skip Hersh. But now maybe I should try to go. I have only heard a few of his recordings. Nothing bored me, but nothing made me feel like I need to hear everything he has recorded. Maybe I owe it to myself to catch him live in the wonderfully intimate venue with great acoustics for some attentive listening. I better decide quick. Advance tickets for the first set are already sold out.

Most of this thread is "extremely boring".

If I was there, I'd go to the show.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this love hate of Hersch has me rethinking whether I will try to catch Hersch when he performs at Firehouse 12 in New Haven in October. In my attempt to prioritize my outings in the effort to reduce my unforgiven absences from home, I was going to skip Hersh. But now maybe I should try to go. I have only heard a few of his recordings. Nothing bored me, but nothing made me feel like I need to hear everything he has recorded. Maybe I owe it to myself to catch him live in the wonderfully intimate venue with great acoustics for some attentive listening. I better decide quick. Advance tickets for the first set are already sold out.

Ron, go. He is worth checking out.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally decided to go tomorrow night. Any other members in Scotland and anywhere near?

Went to see Fred in Edinburgh at the Queens Hall last Friday night. My wife was out with work so just myself and had a good seat at the front but at the right side of the stage so couldn't really see Fred much since he was behind the piano to me.

The Queens Hall was far from busy and I was a little disappointed to see such a small crowd for someone who is a pretty high profile player, recording for major label, playing beautiful and accessible music. Its a lovely hall in a converted Georgian Church with good acoustics and a fine sounding Steinway.

Two short-ish 45 min sets the first playing his own tunes the second standards and a brief encore. I can honestly say that it was a lovely recital to listen to. Really enjoyable music, not out obviously, but interesting things going on. I was surprised that I preferred his compositions to most of the standards other than the Monk piece he played. He hung around to sign cds at the end and I caved and bought the solo at the vanguard disc (Lovely)

I'd have no hesitation in recommending seeing him live, beautiful music played immaculately.

I have a few of his albums although I haven't bought anything by him in a very long time. The album Dancing In the Dark was my introduction to him and I still really like that albums a lot. I saw him perform solo about five years ago and I really enjoyed his playing. My only thing I really don't care for much is his interpretation of Monk. He shaves off the bits that make the Monk tunes sound like Monk tunes. They are too polite or bland to me. At the same time, those properties in his playing that do that sound fine with his own songs or even other composer's music. His style gravitates towards a more cerebral style and less of the earth if that makes sense. So it works for me if I'm in that mood but otherwise it can sound a little sterile to me.