What Things Will You Not Like In Your Jazz?

JSngry

People at jazz concerts (or any concert) who seem to need to let everyone know they are there by shouting, whooping or whistling. But that's probably my British stiff upper lip talking.

Non US vocalists trying to sound native!

Non-English speaking vocalists singing in English (especially Brazilians). Sing in your own language. I like the mystery of being clueless about what you are saying.

Even if they're making fun of all the stiff upper lips in the audience? :w

Can't understand them so they can be singing about what they like. Actually, it tends to be worse when the translate lyrics from the native language into English!

I'm sure Stacey Kent singing in French sounds awful to the French.

They probably like it - after all, a previous generation liked Petula Clark singing in heavily-accented French.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People at jazz concerts (or any concert) who seem to need to let everyone know they are there by shouting, whooping or whistling. But that's probably my British stiff upper lip talking.

No, it's because you've never seen Dr Lonnie Smith live, Bev :ph34r:

MG

Oh, I shout, whoop and whistle in the privacy of my own house (or car) to Lonnie Smith. But in public? Certainly not!

Non-English speaking vocalists singing in English (especially Brazilians). Sing in your own language. I like the mystery of being clueless about what you are saying.

Can't understand them so they can be singing about what they like. Actually, it tends to be worse when the translate lyrics from the native language into English!

They probably like it - after all, a previous generation liked Petula Clark singing in heavily-accented French.

Pet was chic!

MG

No, it's because you've never seen Dr Lonnie Smith live, Bev :ph34r:

MG

Oh, I shout, whoop and whistle in the privacy of my own house (or car) to Lonnie Smith. But in public? Certainly not!

Me too - that's the only time.

MG

Non-English speaking vocalists singing in English (especially Brazilians).

Leny Andrade, Joyce, Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil, among others, are fluent in English. Joyce sings in English almost without an accent, having lived in NY for some time.

It's not the command of English that bothers me. Maybe it's because I find the sound of the Portuguese so mellifluous that I get disappointed by an English language track.

All I'm saying is what I don't much like in my jazz; I'm sure others don't bat an eyelid, like I'm not offended by soprano saxophones.

I love the late Ann Burton's accented English.

I can accept anything used in a creative way. Still waiting on a number of things. <_<

I'm pretty much agreed with this but can be really happy with things used in a less than creative way.

Its good there are still things to be waited for too. There are times when I think I've heard everything I need to, then along comes something I've never heard and I'm off on a new search

Toy instruments. Or any toys, for that matter.

But the toy instruments subvert the elitism of Jazz. And help break down the barrier between the musicians and the audience :)

I love melodica. Does that count?