tonight at small's

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"

Hello My Friends:

We had a phenomenal week! Taylor Eigsti’s fantastic shows were sold out. Also, thanks to dropping our pay wall for the shows, we had a tremendous amount of viewers watch the shows worldwide. This is going to lead to a new paradigm on how we present our live video in the future. I can’t say too much today but you’ll be hearing about it in the next few months. In the meantime, we will be choosing one night per week. this week will be Wednesday, for a free live video show so that everyone can get a taste of what Smalls has to offer."

The Simona Premazzi Quartet with Melissa Aldana has just started the late night set.

This excellent set sent me immediately to CDbaby to order Simona Premazzi's two CDs. I didn't catch the name of the soprano saxophonist who sat in for two pieces, but she played beautifully.

Edited by kh1958

performing now!!see it online---------

The Yves Brouqui Quartet
11:00 PM to 2:00 AM (two sets)
Yves Brouqui - Guitar
Grant Stewart - Tenor Sax
Dmitry Baevsky - Alto Sax
Spike Wilner - Piano
Clovis Nicolas - Bass
Peter Van Nostrand - Drums

I caught most of the second set by the Ari Hoenig group. Very enjoyable.

With Tivon Pennicott on tenor sax, Gilad Hekselman on guitar, and Johannes Weidenmuller on bass.

On Wednesday, I hope to hear the Noah Preminger Quartet, and on Friday-Saturday, the Ralph Peterson Fo'Tet.

solo bass concerts are my thing-can't wait-----to heck with ncaa finals.

"That being said, as always we have a great week for you starting with an amazing double bill on Monday night. At 7:30 PM we have a rare appearance from the legendary Charnett Moffett, who will be performing a solo bass concert at the club. This will be an unusual concert and one you shouldn't miss. I'm curious to see what Charnett will bring to the table. Following Charnett is Ari Hoenig who has the truly amazing Kenny Werner on piano along with another bass virtuoso, Johannes Weidenmuller. Kenny has been a major force on the jazz scene and also a great teacher to many, including myself. He was my first real jazz piano teacher back at the conservatory days and unlocked many of the mysteries of harmony for me. Come out to hear these great musicians."

hoenig lets his guest musicians go wherever they wish. this should be awesome with kenny.

The best thing i ever heard at Smalls was the Eyetalian alto sax player, Luigi Grasso. Do you know if he's playing there anytime soon, regularpepsicola? I know his bro played there recently.

the smalls audio archives have 5 performance dates ranging from late 2008 to dec. 29, 2011. i didn't see any performances scheduled for the next few months.

I felt like a robber, getting the Moffett sets and the Ari Hoenig/Kenny Werner sets that followed for a daily charge of 16 cents.

A few years ago, Charnett put on two concerts in Dallas, which were partly solo and partly he was backed up by his kids (on drums and keyboards). He played three different basses (accoustic, electric and piccolo). The variety of the concert performance, which was essentially a solo bass concert, was pretty astounding.

Now that was fantastic; a disappointingly small crowd though; either the whole world doesn't love solo bass concerts, or it was too early.

moffett kept the selections short, and focused, and provided variety.

the monday moffett sets followed by the hoenig trio featuring ken werner made one of the finest musical evenings i've heard in several years. ari just lets them go. hoenig's trio sessions with werner, pilc, or uri caine are NEVER to be missed.

moffett's deep emotional flights remind me often of an early 70s miroslav vitous.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

free live video tonight!!!!!
The Brian Charette Sextet
($20 cover)
9:30 PM to 12:00 AM
Jay Collins - Flute
Mike DiRubbo - Alto Sax
Kenny Brooks - Tenor Sax
John Ellis - Clarinet
Brian Charette - Organ
Jochen Rueckert - Drums

Finally catching the last set by this group; they sound pretty good.