Mick Taylor - The Ring of Truth

GA Russell

Back in the days when I was paying attention to rock, thought Mick Taylor was the last really worthy addition to the Stones!

Heard the band live in 1970 when they played the Palais des Sports here and MT was the best of the lot. His blues affiliations were a very welcome bonus to the overall sound of the Stones!

Back in the days when I was paying attention to rock, thought Mick Taylor was the last really worthy addition to the Stones!

Heard the band live in 1970 when they played the Palais des Sports here and MT was the best of the lot. His blues affiliations were a very welcome bonus to the overall sound of the Stones!

Yes! The Stones moved into their absolute peak years when they added Mick Taylor.

Love Mick Taylor's playing. I hunted around a lot the last few years to find some post-Stones stuff on youtube. It's patchy - but there's some good stuff out there. Looks like he became a bit of a journyman, almost like a Jazz player. Walking the earth and playing with pick-up bands - or forming loose, short lived affiliations.

On a perhaps thinly related note has anyone heard anything about Peter Green? I read a year or so ago he was trying to get it together again with a band. Like a lot of kid blues players around Brooklyn I looked up to him way back when, and his stuff probably would hold up well if I listened now. He was so pure and lyrical. I felt really bad hearing about all his troubles but also felt that what had to be a pure heart had to be at least part of what got him off track. Like he supposedly sold one of his famed guitars to a guy for like $250, reasoning that it was fair b/c that's what HE paid (40+ yrs. ago). The guitar ended up selling for around $10,000-if the story's true. Anyway, I was wondering what happened w/his band.

I often think of Taylor and Green as two sides of the same coin, playing wise. Although as I think most would agree, there was something uncanny about Peter Green's playing. I saw him only about two years ago. Stood about ten feet from him in a crowded pub gig. He was doing his old FM and John Mayall repertoire. His band kind of carried him through, but he still had a tone and instinct that set him far apart from the average Blues-Rock noodler. He was just more subdued, and, I suppose, not very dynamic. You could kind of feel the vibe of his illness, and how it was creating a barrier between him and his music, and it was hard to tell what the experience of playing was like for Green himself. But I felt it was a rewarding experience to hear him play. I spoke to some older guitar buffs after the gig who were essentially making fun of him - and saying they saw him when he was playing slide and doing his Robert Johnson tribute - and they liked that better. They then told me they had seen Joe Bonamassa the night before -and how they thought that was the best thing since sliced bread - so I guess that belies where their musical consciousness was at.