NBA 2012 -- 2013

Lakers lose their opener. Dwight Howard 3-14 from the free throw line - thanks Superman. Steve Nash was looking lost running the offense and had a big turnover late in the game, Kobe was a nice 11-14 in his shooting, but no free throws even attempted, and nothing from the bench. Mike Brown should start making early vacation plans... I'm still wondering if Howard will sign with the Lakers when it's all said and done, he can walk away at the end of the season.

Just your typical NBA point guard:

tumblr_mcqki9Zqbv1qcstv7.jpg

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's early. They might figure it out, but they probably need a more effective coach. (Somebody not afraid to make Howard practice free throws for hours on end ;) )

Howard has been Shaqiriffic in his free throw futility. The Lakers may have to avoid letting Howard touch the ball at the end of games or we may hack-a-shaq part two.

It's early. They might figure it out, but they probably need a more effective coach. (Somebody not afraid to make Howard practice free throws for hours on end ;) )

Howard has been Shaqiriffic in his free throw futility. The Lakers may have to avoid letting Howard touch the ball at the end of games or we may hack-a-shaq part two.

Very true. Shaq might actually have been slightly better free throw shooter than Howard, but still pretty awful.

Big p.i.a. that the Lakers are now on Time Warner Cable and I have DirectTV, so I can't watch the games. What a rip off. Mike Brown will be leaving shortly -- I hope. Eddie Jordan is supposedly Kobe's man, and if fact, on NBA TV last night, someone was saying this whole "Princeton Offense" is Kobe's idea.

Howard shot 15/19 FT tonight (79%). Unfortunately the Lakers squandered his good night by losing by 10.

You mean "fortunately." :) LIllard looked good and is the 1st rookie since LeBron to have 20+ points & 9 assists in his debut. Not that he'll be LeBron mind you, but even with the low FG% & high TOs that rookies tend to have he looks like a good building block. The kid from Illinois (Leonard) didn't look totally lost either. I think the NW division doesn't have a totally sucky amongst the bunch, unlike other divisions.

Howard shot 15/19 FT tonight (79%). Unfortunately the Lakers squandered his good night by losing by 10.

I think the NW division doesn't have a totally sucky amongst the bunch, unlike other divisions.

The Southwest could be a sleeper, with the Mavs looking stronger-than-expected and the Rockets in a much better position after the Harden trade. The question mark is New Orleans and how much Anthony Davis improves them. Probably enough for mediocrity, but not better.

I think the NW division doesn't have a totally sucky amongst the bunch, unlike other divisions.

The Southwest could be a sleeper, with the Mavs looking stronger-than-expected and the Rockets in a much better position after the Harden trade. The question mark is New Orleans and how much Anthony Davis improves them. Probably enough for mediocrity, but not better.

I think the Rockets gave up a lot for Harden. Kevin Martin is a 20ppg scorer and Jeremy Lamb could develop into a stud. + two 1st round picks. Was it too much?? Time will tell. Regardless I don't see the Rockets making the playoffs this season unless there are an astonishing amount of injuries in the West.

I think the Rockets gave up a lot for Harden. Kevin Martin is a 20ppg scorer and Jeremy Lamb could develop into a stud. + two 1st round picks. Was it too much?? Time will tell. Regardless I don't see the Rockets making the playoffs this season unless there are an astonishing amount of injuries in the West.

Maybe not, but I think an at-worst 9th or 10th place finish is likely. That certainly doesn't qualify as "totally sucky."

Maybe not, but I think an at-worst 9th or 10th place finish is likely. That certainly doesn't qualify as "totally sucky."

Agree. I probably would have pulled the trigger on that trade. This is a trade for the future. The Rockets now have a pretty good, young backcourt under contract. They can build upon them AND they still have cap room for another max contract even though they signed Harden to big money.

Also, apparently Oklahoma & Harden were only a few million apart. I think they should have paid him.

Yes, this was the definition I was going for. Glad we all agreed. :) And it's probably best for all that qualify for this description that they don't get that 8th seed and instead fall just a little short to get another good pick for next year (assuming management knows who to draft - with Portland involved we can't assume this). That said I think both of these teams could at least be interesting and maybe get to play spoiler (I haven't looked at either team's April schedule, but I'll assume each plays somebody trying to improve its seed).

I know you shouldn't overreact after one game, (but I'm a Laker fan, so that's my speciality) but OKC does not look the same without Harden, and having to depend on Westbrook for intelligent play??? Good luck with that one, maybe that Sonics Karma is finally coming around.

The Lakers might have landed a new center and a few aging stars, but their bench is terrible, they have no shooters whatsoever, the offense they are running is stupid, and their defense is nonexistent. The Clippers, on the other hand, are DEEP. If they stay healthy, the Clips might be the team battling OKC in the WCF.

The Lakers might have landed a new center and a few aging stars, but their bench is terrible, they have no shooters whatsoever, the offense they are running is stupid, and their defense is nonexistent. The Clippers, on the other hand, are DEEP. If they stay healthy, the Clips might be the team battling OKC in the WCF.

This "Princeton Offense" flat-out sucks, but as long as Kobe is on board, nothing is going to change. I does look like a Clippers vs OKC WCF right now, The Spurs might squeeze in there somehow, but we'll have to wait and see how the Durant & Westbrook tandem works itself out, I just have a bad feeling about that combo, Westbrook seems to lose it in tight games.

I think OKC will be fine. Their core is intact and it will just be a matter of building chemistry with Kevin Martin, who can shoot the ball. Westbrook is a bit of a hothead and a head case, but they can overcome it.

Harden's loving his new, expanded role in Houston. The guy can flat out shoot. Between he and Lin, Houston's collective basketball IQ doubled.