NBA 2012 -- 2013

*excepting the fans who left Game 6 in the 4th quarter with the outcome very much in doubt. #nonbasketballbandwagonfans

Haters will look for and find the most irrelevant reasons to dislike a team they already dislike. Lebron didn't leave early. That's what matters.

How come nobody is calling Duncan a choker?

Because he isn't. The greatest players aren't great on every play. If you hate them already when they miss a big shot, they're a choker. Some guys will call a player with 1) the greatest pressure on him and 2) the best elimination game stats in playoff history.......... a choker.

I reserve the right to be totally unreasonable and hateful with regard to sports.

I'd probably be more forgiving if Devil Stern hadn't blocked the Lakers' trade for Chris Paul on the basis of "fairness," while letting this Miami Globetrotter team get built from nothing.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*excepting the fans who left Game 6 in the 4th quarter with the outcome very much in doubt. #nonbasketballbandwagonfans

Haters will look for and find the most irrelevant reasons to dislike a team they already dislike. Lebron didn't leave early. That's what matters.

How come nobody is calling Duncan a choker?

Because he isn't. The greatest players aren't great on every play. If you hate them already when they miss a big shot, they're a choker. Some guys will call a player with 1) the greatest pressure on him and 2) the best elimination game stats in playoff history.......... a choker.

I reserve the right to be totally unreasonable and hateful with regard to sports.

I'd probably be more forgiving if Devil Stern hadn't blocked the Lakers' trade for Chris Paul on the basis of "fairness," while letting this Miami Globetrotter team get built from nothing.

Touche on rooting for (or against) whoever you feel like!

But

1) I don't see how Stern could interfere with free agent signings. It's not the same thing as a giveaway trade.

2), I've never understood how it's totally Kosher for a very rich team to get richer from trades (eg. Lakers getting Paul Gasol, Celts getting Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, Malone, Dr J, Bobby Jones, George McGuiness, etc., etc.) but if a team gets great because of free agents wanting to play together, it's a travesty.

3) Wade was already on the Heat when Lebron joined them. If he hadn't been, nobody would have thought Bosh joining Wade was a case of "superstars coming together. " Bosh is good, but not as nearly good as Parish, Kareem, Moses Malone and other Centers who have played with 2 other superstars. It was the hype of the Lebron signing and the 3 coming together that made people start acting like he was. His prior team wasn't even a very good team with him. And he was outplayed by the opposing center in the last 2 playoff series.

4) Depth wise, the 2-8th best players on the Heat are not as good than the 2-8 best players on most championship teams

Edited by steve(thelil)

Congrats to LeBron and his teammates. As a longtime Cavs fan, I'll admit that I'm still a fan of his game, and find nearly all of the choker/can't finish/etc hating rather ridiculous at this point. But hey , that's sports. While I understand that Bosh does things that don't always appear on the stat sheet, I find him quite over-rated (...or at least way too much attention is paid to him). To my eyes, DWade is the one who has transformed into quite the prima donna.

Would have been great if LeBron had bothered to recruit a single high quality player to play with him in Cleveland. Or set a single pick. Or post up. But none of that happened. At least he learned to play D and shoot 3's there. Pat Riley arguably tampered while LeBron was still under contract, but he is the essence of Smooth Operator (cue the muzak) and David Stern is not going to get in the way of sizzle. LeBron's Decision fiasco (not the actual move, just the utterly classless way it went down) was so much more full throated than any of the occasional apologies that have surfaced since. But he's matured, and largely just plays [Yes some unsightly complaining about calls.].

And congrats to the Spurs. I don't follow the western conference as closely, and I thought that much of the high regard for them was based on past performance (...and the fact that experiments in LA didn't work out too well). But they played extremely well given the advanced age of some of the parts there. Kawhi Leonard is the man. Not so sure about Danny Green. And getting anything useful out of Boris Diaw? Wow! Go Popp.

I was happy to see Battier get his groove back which is kind of weird as I couldn't stand him when he was at Duke. :lol: But I've admired how he plays D and always does a little of this & that for his team. So I liked seeing an "old guy" who was in the doghouse have a great 7th game. And it's not all about points as Ray Allen had zero in game 7 too. I think he gets a pass given what he did the game before though.

Congrats to the Heat, and it's actually somewhat of a relief to see LeBron play like a monster in Game 7. Now we keep the off season drama to "What will Dwight do?" (along with the Celtics & Doc I guess).

war in chitown

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/07/03/bernstein-behind-the-bulls-conflict/

"Players began to feel so suffocated last year that they were choosing to work out by themselves at a gym less than a mile down the road. Even professional athletes who want and appreciate good coaching need room to breathe, time to let their guard down and not feel watched. Some Bulls had to sneak out to do it."