chet baker sings

Soul Stream

A lot of jazz is about virtuosity. Some is not, like Lady Day or Miles to a lesser extent. I'll put Chet in that same bag.

I know what you're saying, and we may not disagree, but I just want to add- even if we insert the word "technical" in front of "virtuosity" there, I think we'd be unfair to Chet. Like Miles, he had some amazing chops to call upon when the time was right (don't forget about the "audition" where Bird chose him...). All in all, it's not that important- Chet's style was what it was, and we needn't qualify his greatness in terms of technical ability (or our perception of his technical ability, since he wasn't a consistently "flashy" trumpeter)...

I became a fan of Chet Baker as I started picking up OOP Mosaics. I bought a couple of OOP Bakers from Scott at Mosaic a couple of years ago and have really become a fan.

The vocals are really an acquired taste. My first exposure to Baker was the song from the Round Midnight soundtrack. I could not figure out what all the fuss was about. But when I started picking up the Mosaics, his body of work really came into focus for me. I love the sound and feel of his horn and really dig his vocal style.

I have not gone too much beyond his PJ material, which I find to be outstanding.

Alexander: So maybe there is hope for me yet? I have never really been able to "get" Chet Baker. It is not that I hate him. I can more or less enjoy listening to him, especially with Russ Freeman, who I do like quite a bit.

But I don't hear the magic. Maybe it is just not my cup of tea.

Maybe. Maybe not. You may come around to Chet someday. Then again, you may *never* really enjoy his work. I used to say that the difference between Miles, Chet, and Tom (Harrell) (all of whom have a similar middle range trumpet style) was to say that Miles sounded stand-offish, Tom sounds abstracted, and Chet simpered. To a certain extent, I still think that's true. There is something almost "effeminate" about Chet's playing (not that there's anything wrong with that B) ), just as his voice is somewhat androgynous (people always ask me if that's a man or a woman singing when they hear Chet sing for the first time). That can be a bit off-putting, I'll admit, but I don't think that it stems from any preconceived notion of "manliness". Chet played the way Chet played. Either you like it, or you don't. I didn't like it, now I do. Why? I don't know.

I highly recommend Chet's Prestige albums with George Coleman. You can only get them as imports, but they're not too terribly expensive and they are usually available through Amazon.

Another Chet recommendation (also without singing)..."Chet Baker & Crew" on PJ. Great, great disc. I'm listening to it now. Chet is in top form (sounds a lot like Kenny Dorham on this disc, actually). The rest of the crew is: Phi Urso - tenor, Bobby Timmons - piano, Jimmy Bond - bass, Peter Littman -drums, Bill Loughbrough - chromatic tympani. It was recorded in July, 1956. Nice playing. Nice sound. Nice disc all around. Even if you don't like West Coast stuff, you'll like it.

Maybe. Maybe not. You may come around to Chet someday. Then again, you may *never* really enjoy his work. I used to say that the difference between Miles, Chet, and Tom (Harrell) (all of whom have a similar middle range trumpet style) was to say that Miles sounded stand-offish, Tom sounds abstracted, and Chet simpered. To a certain extent, I still think that's true. There is something almost "effeminate" about Chet's playing (not that there's anything wrong with that B) ), just as his voice is somewhat androgynous (people always ask me if that's a man or a woman singing when they hear Chet sing for the first time). That can be a bit off-putting, I'll admit, but I don't think that it stems from any preconceived notion of "manliness". Chet played the way Chet played. Either you like it, or you don't. I didn't like it, now I do. Why? I don't know.

I highly recommend Chet's Prestige albums with George Coleman. You can only get them as imports, but they're not too terribly expensive and they are usually available through Amazon.

Who was it that said Tom Harrell was just like Chet Baker, but with talent? (Hey, back off people; it wasn't me!! :o )

I agree wholeheartedly with that recommendation. Outside of the PJ material, the only Baker I have is this series of discs from the mid 60s. I find them to be excellent. The titles are "Smokin'", "Boppin' with the Chet Baker Quintet", "Comin' on with the Chet Baker Quintet", "Cool Burnin' with the Chet Baker Quintet", "Groovin' with the Chet Baker Quintet"

Chet plays mostly flugelhorn. Coleman is amazing. Lot more hard bop sounding than his PJ stuff to be sure. There are no vocals, either.

All good recommendations!

Two more: Peace (Enja)

and: Strollin' (Enja)

The latter includes one track with singing: But not for me. I absolutely love that one!

Peace has no singing. Very beatiful, introspective record.

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Anyone heard disc Chet made for Verve, with Phill Urso on tenor and small band behind? I saw it in the local store, but after Chet name there are references that he did flh and tp playing and vocals, also.

As there is talk about vocals, disc with Italian strings do much to me. You may consider that is not jazz in his core, but easy listening music... anyway I like that one very much.

Italian sessions are pretty good, too.

But, to be sincere, I don't like the personality. Too hard to understand.

Edited by mmilovan

That's sort of true and false. That is, if you want them as individual discs with original cover art, yes- they're only available as imports. However, all five albums were compiled onto 3 CD's by Fantasy a few years ago, and they're available (titles are "Lonely Star", "Stairway To The Stars" and "On A Misty Night").