Miles Davis - So What: Complete 1960 Amsterdam Concerts

aurelio

Wait a minute... are these recordings actually from the Concertgebouw? If so, then- at least to my knowledge- none of this material has been issued before (the single track in the KOB box that Ubu mentioned is from the Kurhaus gig).

Pete Losin lists two concerts on April 9, one at 8.15 (Kurhaus) and one at midnight (Concertgebouw): http://www.plosin.co...s.aspx?s=600409

Yes, they are, as is the whole series, "Jazz at the Concertgebouw".

Oh, true! Thought they were from Scheveningen - even better news, then!

There was a very active jazz scene at the Concertgebouw in the 1950s. These days it's mostly classical music.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute... are these recordings actually from the Concertgebouw? If so, then- at least to my knowledge- none of this material has been issued before (the single track in the KOB box that Ubu mentioned is from the Kurhaus gig).

Pete Losin lists two concerts on April 9, one at 8.15 (Kurhaus) and one at midnight (Concertgebouw): http://www.plosin.co...s.aspx?s=600409

Yes, they are, as is the whole series, "Jazz at the Concertgebouw".

Oh, true! Thought they were from Scheveningen - even better news, then!

Wow. Me too. I thought I had this but I guess not. BTW as much as I've liked everything from this tour that's available the 1964 Copenhagen concert has made me lust for more releases from that tour too.

I have 5 of the previous 6. All are great. The only one I'm missing is the Chet Baker, which I can only assume is caught in some legal purgatory as I've never actually seen it on offer.

I only have the Chet Baker release - I remember buying it directly from the Dutch Jazz Archive & not through a linked dealer as appears to be the case now - I emailed the Archive & ordered the CD using Paypal on their advice. I'm quite sure that when the Baker CD was released you could only buy it from this site.

Here's a source for the Baker.

http://www.eastwindimport.com/product-info.asp?CategoryName=55+Records%2FOne&ProductID=1672

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any other way of ordering these Concertgebouw CDs than through the online dealer (Platomania) - tried this but shipping to Australia was obscenely expensive, so I scuttled that one

I'm sure there was a link above that enabled you to email (Jazzz Archive site?) what you wanted & someone would get back to you but that seems to have disappeared

http://www.muziekcen...order-jazz-cds/

As I have stated previously I originally bought the Baker CD directly from the DJ archive

Is there any other way of ordering these Concertgebouw CDs than through the online dealer (Platomania) - tried this but shipping to Australia was obscenely expensive, so I scuttled that one

I'm sure there was a link above that enabled you to email (Jazzz Archive site?) what you wanted & someone would get back to you but that seems to have disappeared

As I have stated previously I originally bought the Baker CD directly from the DJ archive

Sent you a PM.

From www.platomania.eu. Surely a 2 cd digipack can be shipped for €6 in a bubble mailer (what they use when shipping domestic)?

Wereld/World (outside Europe):

The fee to deliver your order outside of Europe depends on the type and amount of products you are purchasing.

1-3 cd's = € 6,-

More than 3 cd's and all lp's/dvd's, etc.: Up to 500 grams = € 10,- Between 500 grams and 2 kilos = € 20,- More than 2 kilos = € 35,-

Orders with more than one item will be send when the order is complete.

From www.platomania.eu. Surely a 2 cd digipack can be shipped for €6 in a bubble mailer (what they use when shipping domestic)?

The fee to deliver your order outside of Europe depends on the type and amount of products you are purchasing.

1-3 cd's = € 6,-

More than 3 cd's and all lp's/dvd's, etc.: Up to 500 grams = € 10,- Between 500 grams and 2 kilos = € 20,- More than 2 kilos = € 35,-

Just checked Platomania's website and saw those shipping rates. If ordered from them the total for the set including shipping to Australia would be 28.99 euros and I don't find that obscenely expensive.

Edited by J.A.W.

1-3 cd's = € 6,-

Just checked Platomania's website and saw those shipping rates. If ordered from them the total for the set including shipping to Australia would be 28.99 euros and I don't find that obscenely expensive.

I don't read German. Do you have to open an account on their website?

Do they accept PayPal?

1-3 cd's = € 6,-

Do they accept PayPal?

Creditcards: Visa, Mastercard

Registreren is Dutch for to register (upper right corner). ;)

Edited by erwbol

1-3 cd's = € 6,-

Do they accept PayPal?

And it's Dutch, not German.

1-3 cd's = € 6,-

Do they accept PayPal?

And it's Dutch, not German.

Don't read either one. :shrug[1]::tophat:

1-3 cd's = € 6,-

That's not what I got when I tried this a few weeks ago - it was much more than that plus it's also a bit difficult to navigate the site if you are not familiar with the language of the netherlands

I still can't find a U.S. source. :shrug[1]::huh:

Dusty Groove has carried MCN releases in the past. I emailed them about the Miles Davis release yesterday. One of their buyers replied that MCN has gone out of business, and that he is trying to find another contact for this release. I found it weird that MCN would release something this important and THEN go out of business. I guess this would explain why it's not even found on the Euro Amazon sites.

• 4 weeks later...

I found it weird that MCN would release something this important and THEN go out of business. I guess this would explain why it's not even found on the Euro Amazon sites.

I guess they ran out of money. Their site has the following message:

On 31 December 2012, Music Center the Netherlands has discontinued all activities; on this date the foundation has been terminated.

Leo Pot is appointed as debtor of the assets and liabilities in accordance with art. 23, with offices held at Westpoint 138, 5038 KG Tilburg: vereffenaar@mcn.nl.

I found it weird that MCN would release something this important and THEN go out of business. I guess this would explain why it's not even found on the Euro Amazon sites.

I guess they ran out of money. Their site has the following message:

On 31 December 2012, Music Center the Netherlands has discontinued all activities; on this date the foundation has been terminated.

Leo Pot is appointed as debtor of the assets and liabilities in accordance with art. 23, with offices held at Westpoint 138, 5038 KG Tilburg: vereffenaar@mcn.nl.

The MCN's state subsidies were cut by the Dutch government in an effort to reduce the national budget deficit. Pity, as the MCN used to support young musicians and all kinds of music.

Edited by J.A.W.