Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's definitely carrying the Grachan Moncur III "slow trombone" torch. I'm almost having trouble thinking of anyone else who plays in a more subtle style. George Lewis, for sure ... Bill Lowe & Frank Lacy also come to mind. But I agree that Blaser is doing the most exciting work on the instrument these days.

Edited by colinmce

Two I'm very excited about:

Benoit Delbecq/Samuel Blaser/Gerry Hemingway - Fourth Landscape (nuscope)

Kidd Jordan/Peter Kowald/Alvin Fielder - Live in New Orleans (NoBusiness)

Two more recent Kidd Jordan releases I've come across:

A Night in November w/ Hamid Drake (Valid)

http://www.amazon.com/Night-November-Live-New-Orleans/dp/B00F4B2PMQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384396870&sr=1-1&keywords=kidd+jordan

Vita Brevis w/ Borah Bergman, William Parker & Michael Wimberly (Some Real Music)

http://www.amazon.com/vita-brevis-Borah-Bergman/dp/B00EOVUFL0/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384396895&sr=1-6&keywords=kidd+jordan

I've posted about this on the 'What are you listening to' thread, but I've been enjoying this one that came out last month:

a1617418980_2.jpg

Luke Polipnick Group - Episodes, with guitarist Luke Polipnick, saxophonist Brandon Wozniak, bassist Adam Linz and drummer Mike Pride. I was a Kickstarter backer for it, and it is one of those albums that reminds me why I love Kickstarter. You can stream all of the tracks on Polipnick's bandcamp page.

Ehrlich doesn't play on this apparently.

marty+erlich.jpg

Yeah, but with this lineup there's little room for complaints:

Marty Ehrlich Large Ensemble:

E.J. Allen, trumpet; Ray Anderson, trombone; Uri Caine, piano; John Clark, French horn; Joseph Daley, tuba; Robert DeBellis, alto and soprano sax, clarinet; Michael Dessen, trombone; Curtis Fowlkes, trombone; Drew Gress, bass; Jerome Harris, guitar, slide guitar; Miki Hirose, trumpet; Ron Horton, trumpet; Howard Johnson, baritone sax; Brad Jones, bass; Adam Kolker, tenor sax, clarinet; Andy Laster, alto sax; Eric McPherson, drums; J.D. Parran, narrator, soprano and bass sax; Lisa Parrott, baritone sax, bass clarinet; Jason Robinson, tenor sax; Warren Smith, vibraphone, percussion; James Weidman, piano; Matt Wilson, drums; James Zollar, trumpet; Marty Ehrlich, conductor.

I've got to say - the new Taylor Ho Bynum thing is completely remarkable...would unreservedly recommend to anyone even remotely interested!

I caught the performance by the sextet last week in Hartford. I also picked up the new disc. It was interesting to experience this live as individual members of the ensemble would hold up signs with the names of the various parts of Navigation - seemingly to cue what they would play next. Very democratic approach to performance for sure.

Just ordered two great-looking cross-pollinated releases: Aquarius by Nicole Mitchell on Delmark and Unknown Known by Josh Abrams on Rogue Art. Both feature the core trio of Abrams, Adasiewicz, and Frank Rosaly with Mitchell and David Boykin respectively.

I've had the Mitchell for a couple of days and I'm thoroughly enjoying it however it's almost designed for me as flute/vibes is a line up that would be close to the top of my list and Mitchell and Adasiewicz top of each instrumnets' 'must hear' players. There's some strong writing on the album and the playing's as good as you'd expect. I doubt you'll be disappointed

I was blown away by Nicole Mitchell's performance on Harris Eisenstadt's Golden State album and made a mental note to check her music out further but kind of forgot about it. Stumbled across this album and just about couldn't think of a more perfect line up. Couldn't resist ordering it; had to divert some money i'd put aside for pre-orders for albums coming out in December but i've still got time to skip some meals between now and then.

I need to pick up Golden State. I caught the group live in September and enjoyed the performance. I think I was low on cash that night, otherwise I would have picked it up then. Count me as a huge Nicole Mitchell fan, but I have also enjoyed all of Eisenstadt's music that I have heard.

Edited by relyles

Ehrlich doesn't play on this apparently.

marty+erlich.jpg

Yeah, but with this lineup there's little room for complaints:

Marty Ehrlich Large Ensemble:

E.J. Allen, trumpet; Ray Anderson, trombone; Uri Caine, piano; John Clark, French horn; Joseph Daley, tuba; Robert DeBellis, alto and soprano sax, clarinet; Michael Dessen, trombone; Curtis Fowlkes, trombone; Drew Gress, bass; Jerome Harris, guitar, slide guitar; Miki Hirose, trumpet; Ron Horton, trumpet; Howard Johnson, baritone sax; Brad Jones, bass; Adam Kolker, tenor sax, clarinet; Andy Laster, alto sax; Eric McPherson, drums; J.D. Parran, narrator, soprano and bass sax; Lisa Parrott, baritone sax, bass clarinet; Jason Robinson, tenor sax; Warren Smith, vibraphone, percussion; James Weidman, piano; Matt Wilson, drums; James Zollar, trumpet; Marty Ehrlich, conductor.

Not complaining and already ordered it....was just pointing it out for anyone interested in him. Yes, that is an amazing lineup.

I need to pick up Golden State. I caught the group live in September and enjoyed the performance. I think I was low on cash that night, otherwise I would have picked it up then. Count me as a huge Nicole Mitchell fan, but I have also enjoyed all of Eisenstadt's music that I have heard.

Even as an Eisenstadt fan I was surprised by how much i enjoyed Golden State. Was fully prepared for some slightly quirky but ultimately dull 'chamber jazz'. It's not. The bassoon/flute front line is amazing and the bass/drums rhythm section... it's just 'golden'. One of those albums that goes everywhere but nothing outstays it's welcome; it swings when it needs to etc. Anyway, you've heard them live so i'm sure you know what i'm on about!

Cross posting from the what I am listening to

bac8ef553e7f9a197887c454dd47bf79.jpg

aka, Steve Reynolds....stat!

Who is Ramon Lopez?

Btw listening now again to disc 4 of Mad Dogs box with Parker Guy Lytton with Fernandez

Mind bending

Best Evan Parker tenor on record in quite some time - the ending to the first 24 minute section is beyond what should be possible. Even more than his standard casual brilliance.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

A drummer on several recordings you should have....and to put it in a better way....Agusti Fernandez & and your man Barry Guy think enough of him that's it's now their third and latest trio recording together.

P.S. Something about me introducing someone to "The Preacher" makes it a good day. ;)

Edited by Blue Train

Cross posting from the what I am listening to

bac8ef553e7f9a197887c454dd47bf79.jpg

aka, Steve Reynolds....stat!

Who is Ramon Lopez?

Btw listening now again to disc 4 of Mad Dogs box with Parker Guy Lytton with Fernandez

Mind bending

Best Evan Parker tenor on record in quite some time - the ending to the first 24 minute section is beyond what should be possible. Even more than his standard casual brilliance.

Lopez? a fantastic drummer who you will enjoy investigating. http://www.ramonlopez.net/

This trio is amazing, not as out there as some may imagine but with a shared understanding that can take breath away (yes that good) - check out Morning Glory on Maya. Big thanks to Blue Train for highlighting what I guess is their new release - I'm straight off to track it down

The new Ehrlich arrived for me yesterday... i started listening to it quite late at night and got about two thirds of the way through before i had to call it a night out of necessity. First impressions are that it's really good, i'm certainly going to get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I only heard 'narration' on one track, and it's not overdone at all. YMMV but i can't see it being an issue unless it really particularly rubs you the wrong way. Quite often with this type of semi-spoken word/preacher-ish vocal it neither adds nor detracts from the music for me; it doesn't ruin albums but i could definitely live without it. It can be nice but it rarely moves me. At it's worst it can be totally cringe worthy. On this album however I actually found the vocal to be oddly invigorating, the lines about "you can bury me in the morning, bury me in the evening, but i'll rise up and be a trumpet tomorrow, don't touch my shoe..." actually made me feel really good, comforted and strengthened even.