Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

glad you dig.

Thank you sir, I suppose one man's meat etc etc ^_^ . Not sure how or why but Rempis has elevated his game in a substantial way.

I'm totally enjoying these:

a2668698377_2.jpg

Any opinions on which volume of this series might be the most interesting?

In terms of performance, I don't think there is a significant difference between Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 (don't think I have Vol. 2). Vol. 3 might show a bit more comfort level. You might look at the track listings for each CD and see which has the more appealing Lacy composition line-up, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them NB: These albums, like Lacy's albums, need a couple of listens to start getting into them.

I like all 3.

You might also like Ideal Bread: Beating The Teens, among others.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I can't admit to having heard The Whammies-- and I'm sure I'll grab a couple of these down the line-- I will say that for whatever reason I find Ideal Bread much more commanding of my attention. Something about that dry, swinging, small group sound cuts right to the bone of Lacy's music to me. But maybe this is what I'm going out of my way to hear, as it seems like the Whammies set up is more reflective of the big sound of his Sextet.

While I can't admit to having heard The Whammies-- and I'm sure I'll grab a couple of these down the line-- I will say that for whatever reason I find Ideal Bread much more commanding of my attention. Something about that dry, swinging, small group sound cuts right to the bone of Lacy's music to me. But maybe this is what I'm going out of my way to hear, as it seems like the Whammies set up is more reflective of the big sound of his Sextet.

Agreed about The Ideal Bread. The Whammies are good but imho just don't have the level of daring that Sinton and co. bring to the music (and it's not like every IB take is my cuppa - there's just something about how they approach the music's possibilities).

Edited by clifford_thornton

In terms of the apostolic succession of Steve Lacy, Ideal Bread has Josh SInton, who studied for a couple of years with Lacy. The Whammies have Jorrit Dijkstra, who also studied with Lacy, although I think for only a short time. However, The Whammies also have Han Bennink,, who actually played with Lacy. Let's call it a draw. What I like about both groups is that they take a Lacy-like approach, somewhat against the grain of expectations. I found it easier to like the The Whammies on initial hearing than Ideal Bread. But I haven't heard Ideal Bread's latest, so that remains to be done.

Hurry your ass over to Amazon really quick to grab the Peter Kowald Discography box set for $25. 5 CDs and a full illustrated discography. It was $68 earlier this afternoon.

Thanks for the heads-up, colin.

Only £20 for delivery to the UK.... my order's in!

Thanks Colin, jumped on that. I had been looking at the Kowald, but the list was too high. I could swear there were some resellers selling it at $25 also, but when I went back to check,I didn't see their listings.

I added the vinyl "From the Regions" and Ideal Breads "Beating the Teens." I could have got "Beating the Teens" elsewhere cheaper but factoring in the free shipping, only a few dollars less. BTW, I did notice some fairly long lead times on shipping. Earliest estimated shipping for me is Oct. 20. But that's OK.

Thanks Colin, jumped on that. I had been looking at the Kowald, but the list was too high. I could swear there were some resellers selling it at $25 also, but when I went back to check,I didn't see their listings.

I added the vinyl "From the Regions" and Ideal Breads "Beating the Teens." I could have got "Beating the Teens" elsewhere cheaper but factoring in the free shipping, only a few dollars less. BTW, I did notice some fairly long lead times on shipping. Earliest estimated shipping for me is Oct. 20. But that's OK.

Mine says "preparing for shipment".

Mine says "preparing for shipment".

Mine still says October 20th :( . The product page says "ships in 10 to 12 days" but you must have caught the wave. I also have 2 other items which might have slowed it down; I think the Adasiewicz vinyl might be held up.

Good to know that Somos Agua has Steve's seal of approval. Sincerely. It's the only Tamarindo album that i have and it's nice to know that long term fans of the group dig it, especially after the controversy around the sound on their last album which caused me to skip it.

I dig Somos Agua too. Although it's not an album i spin a lot (doesn't have to be etc) i've kept it on my portable music player since release.

New releases man. I'm going to ramble for a bit, in the mood to take my mind of work... what's coming up? I'm still keen for the new Jason Moran, have been listening to it a bit on Spotify. Do i really need it though?

Things are getting tight at home, among other things we need to put our kid in to day care for an extra day per week, it's $60.00 NZD per day so about an extra $240.00 NZD per month (about $194.00 USD according to some website i just checked). I don't have a set CD budget, although lately i've been thinking about setting myself one. The annual budget i was thinking of in my head i felt was quite generous, but then i did the sums on how much i've already spent this year and i've already spent over three times my proposed annual budget. I felt disgusted with myself, i need to cut back. So i'm probably going to be at the point where i can afford 2-3 new CDs per month, max. No box sets, unless i can somehow work them in to birthdays etc or if we win lotto. So anyway, as selective as i am, i need to be even more selective as i don't want to blow my monthly budget on something i can live without and then next minute something essential gets released.

There's that fear of pulling the plug and missing out. I feel like if i'm not checking out new stuff that some how that continuum is broken. And on a tight budget i will be focusing on new releases... but holy crap there's so, so much old stuff that i really need to hear (truly a case of the more i hear the more i realise i haven't heard and need to hear). The problem is that there are so many new releases that knock me out. Until that stops, until there's a trend in my listening where i'm just encountering too many 'just okay' recordings in a row i'm not going to be able to cut the chord. There's just something about the thought of no longer following new releases that makes me feel sick to my stomach, deathly. It just feels so wrong. Maybe it's a sign that i need to do it, that i'm addicted and i need to go cold turkey for the greater good.

So anyway, i really want to get the new Halvorson on Relative Pitch, i'm actually quite keen for the new Frisell, i still want to catch up on some of Jason Adasiewicz's albums as a leader (the first Sun Rooms album and the Rolldown stuff), there's going to be a new Wayne Shorter album at some point, i should get that new The Bad Plus album, i also want to go back and get that duet album with Steve Lehman and Stephen Crump... hey, we've all got a wish list a mile long... damn it's hard to prioritise...

It's an understandable problem. But as you said, you gotta prioritize. And the constant stream of new releases isn't going to stop -- what is important is that you should not feel that you have to keep up. Let that go, and focus on the few key titles that the most interesting to you.

BTW, the Halvorson is not bad, but not great, either.