Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame - big Brotzmann fan, but I only do CD's. Second time in a day that something I wanted isn't going to be on CD. Sign of the times.....

Nice to learn there are more Brotzmann fans on the Board. Not sure why the LP format this time. Maybe "enhanced" cash flow? ^_^

New Brotzman Vinyl:

'you are there' fidelity live at chicago's hideout, a favorite venue of both artists,
bro-5-Bro-5-front-side_main.jpg
Yeah, pricey, but I think I have to have it.

the venue is stll there but the jazz no more

http://www.artsjournal.com/jazzbeyondjazz/2014/09/the-funeral-at-the-hideout-with-survival-unit-iii.html

Bummer! :rmad:

Yep. Same rigmarole.

Anything with value more than £9 I think so $13 CD would get caught because the calculable total includes the postage charge. However it is a lottery as to whether your package gets picked out at Customs so sometimes it's worth it for the extra frission of "will it, won't it" :)

Although the USPS postal rate hike is the main reason I buy so rarely from US these days this extra charge has to be factored in too. A real pain

edit: posted as David was posting. Looks like I have the total incorrect but it's still a pain!

Edited by mjazzg

Got an email from AUM Fidelity that they almost ran out of the "Wood Flute Songs" boxes, so that was the last incentive I needed to finally pull the trigger on this one. I just know I will regret it if I don't buy it now and it comes OOP (and prices rising up).

But even more greater news for me was that AUM got a few copies back from the now long OOP debut album of Farmers by Nature. That album was top 10 wishlist stuff for me, so I'm very happy right now to say the least!

Do you mean this box set:

Mad+Dogs.jpeg

?

I have this one. It comes in a 12-inch LP cover, with the CD's on a card insert. Strangely for something aping our beloved friend the Vinyl LP - it's a bit of a pain in this configuration because it doesn't fit well on my shelves alongside my other box sets.........

Do you mean this box set:

Mad+Dogs.jpeg

?

I have this one. It comes in a 12-inch LP cover, with the CD's on a card insert. Strangely for something aping our beloved friend the Vinyl LP - it's a bit of a pain in this configuration because it doesn't fit well on my shelves alongside my other box sets.........

Yes, that one. That's why I put "box" in quotes. I love the music, and I guess I respect the spirit of innovation, but what a mess as a storage device. I had to have a disc replaced because it was badly scratched on arrival (they all dislodged); a couple of others with just minor scuffs. I've heard others had the same problem. I wonder if they will go that route again? Of course, I'll buy it anyway :smirk:

Yes the original packaging is a nightmare

The music is beyond brilliant and it is simply the best sounding free jazz/improvisation recording I've ever heard.

One has not heard Tarfala unless you've heard them live (an unfulfilled dream of mine) or the first box set. My favorite section of the first Box rivaled by the Parker-Guy-Lytton-Fernandez set.

The music is beyond brilliant and it is simply the best sounding free jazz/improvisation recording I've ever heard.

One has not heard Tarfala unless you've heard them live (an unfulfilled dream of mine) or the first box set. My favorite section of the first Box rivaled by the Parker-Guy-Lytton-Fernandez set.

Topos?

Topos?

Never heard that the augmented with Agusti Fernandez Parker-Guy-Lytton group had a name. In any event, the pianist is very effective digging into the great long standing trio.