colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, niels said:

Mine is also underway from Alexander Hawkins, really looking forward to it!

Listened to mine now. I don't think you'll be disappointed

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

So how does one get a copy in the US?

Suspect shipping from overseas will be prohibitive.

try contacting Drake or Evans perhaps?

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Great - glad it got there in good time! Hope you enjoy it...

Enjoy it I have indeed. There's some great interplay going on there throughout the disc between varying combinations within the quintet. Evan P sounds almost funky at a couple of points:) Must be the influence of Hamid Drake....

(as he did with Black Top a couple of weeks ago......but then Pat Thomas and Orphy Robinson were hitting some grooves that night) 

Okay, so after the almost McPhee love-fest lately ... there's a seven disc set out on Paal Nilsen-Love's label, "Candy", that seems to be pretty great ... found out about it today and my order is in already!

https://pnlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/candy-4

review (and more buying options - but this is a case where I buy from the source):

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2015/11/joe-mcphee-paal-nilssen-love-candy-pnl.html

and as I'm posting here already ... the "Pomegranate" saga continues ... I gave up hopes of ever getting my backer copy, so I put in a new order with the label ... after a month or so and not receiving anything again, I got in touch and at least Ed seems to now bother ... I might after all still get a copy in 2015, wouldn't that be nice?

5 minutes ago, king ubu said:

Okay, so after the almost McPhee love-fest lately ... there's a seven disc set out on Paal Nilsen-Love's label, "Candy", that seems to be pretty great ... found out about it today and my order is in already!

https://pnlrecords.bandcamp.com/album/candy-4

review (and more buying options - but this is a case where I buy from the source):

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2015/11/joe-mcphee-paal-nilssen-love-candy-pnl.html

and as I'm posting here already ... the "Pomegranate" saga continues ... I gave up hopes of ever getting my backer copy, so I put in a new order with the label ... after a month or so and not receiving anything again, I got in touch and at least Ed seems to now bother ... I might after all still get a copy in 2015, wouldn't that be nice?

I've been flirting with that one but haven't jumped in yet. I do wonder whether 7 discs might be too much of a good thing

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the new 4CDBox set from Agusti Fernández yesterday on bandcamp, which I think is very interesting and deserves some attention (as I don't see it being widely available). In 2014 Agusti Fernández was invited to the Ad Libitum Festival in Warsaw to play four concerts. Each concert sees Agusti in a (very) different setting, so I think this box set gives a very good impression of the wide capacities of the great pianist.

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/

R-7720693-1447418695-3522.jpeg.jpg

CD01: River, Tiger, Fire
Agustí Fernández - piano, conductor 
Wacław Zimpel - alto clarinet, ukrainian trombita, khaen (laotian bamboo mouth organ) 
Ray Dickaty - soprano & tenor saxophone 
Gerard Lebik - tenor saxophone 
Artur Majewski - trumpet 
Dominik Strycharski - soprano, alto & bass recorders / blockflutes 
Patryk Zakrocki - violin 
Marcin Olak - electric, acoustic guitats 
Rafał Mazur - acoustic bass guitar 
Ksawery Wójciński - double bass 
Hubert Zemler - drums

CD02: Thunder
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Frances Marie Uitti - cello 
Joel Ryan - live electronics 

CD03: Mnemosyne's Labyrinth
Agustí Fernández - piano

CD04: Live in Warsaw 
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Barry Guy - bass 
Ramón López - drums

MI0003880267.jpg

An epic wait has ended ... two months ago I decided to, fuck, just order the disc from the label, as I never heard back from Mr. Haynes ... my order went under, it seems, and after getting in touch with Ed from New Atlantis again three weeks back, I had actually given up ever receiving a disc this very morning. And in the afternoon, what do I find in the mailbox ... Ed was kind enough to add another disc to the package, which is a nice way to make up for an epic fuck-up - truly appreciated. :tup

Actually, this morning I was of a mindset that even if the disc gets here before the year ends, I would just not listen to it, why bother ... but I guess watching a crappy Peckinpah flick in the movies tonight ("Convoy" 'twas) and having a couple of beers afterwards has mellowed my moods a bit. So I tore off the shrinkwrap, grabbed my (fairly new and wonderful beyerdynamic) headphones and popped it in ... William Parker again sounds okay here (he didn live a few weeks ago ... guess studio technique does all the tricks necessary?), but that's just a stupid aside really - this is wonderful music, warm and human if that makes sense, organic, slowly unfolding, fuzzy and sometimes whimsical on the surface but deep beneath it. Happy I finally got the disc, even I still feel like having been screwed ...

Edited by king ubu

7 hours ago, king ubu said:

MI0003880267.jpg

An epic wait has ended ... two months ago I decided to, fuck, just order the disc from the label, as I never heard back from Mr. Haynes ... my order went under, it seems, and after getting in touch with Ed from New Atlantis again three weeks back, I had actually given up ever receiving a disc this very morning. And in the afternoon, what do I find in the mailbox ... Ed was kind enough to add another disc to the package, which is a nice way to make up for an epic fuck-up - truly appreciated. :tup

Actually, this morning I was of a mindset that even if the disc gets here before the year ends, I would just not listen to it, why bother ... but I guess watching a crappy Peckinpah flick in the movies tonight ("Convoy" 'twas) and having a couple of beers afterwards has mellowed my moods a bit. So I tore off the shrinkwrap, grabbed my (fairly new and wonderful beyerdynamic) headphones and popped it in ... William Parker again sounds okay here (he didn live a few weeks ago ... guess studio technique does all the tricks necessary?), but that's just a stupid aside really - this is wonderful music, warm and human if that makes sense, organic, slowly unfolding, fuzzy and sometimes whimsical on the surface but deep beneath it. Happy I finally got the disc, even I still feel like having been screwed ...

one of the best releases of the year for me. Pleased your wait finally proved fruitful. Nice description too

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:29 PM, niels said:

Just ordered the new 4CDBox set from Agusti Fernández yesterday on bandcamp, which I think is very interesting and deserves some attention (as I don't see it being widely available). In 2014 Agusti Fernández was invited to the Ad Libitum Festival in Warsaw to play four concerts. Each concert sees Agusti in a (very) different setting, so I think this box set gives a very good impression of the wide capacities of the great pianist.

Agustí Fernández - piano, conductor 
Wacław Zimpel - alto clarinet, ukrainian trombita, khaen (laotian bamboo mouth organ) 
Ray Dickaty - soprano & tenor saxophone 
Gerard Lebik - tenor saxophone 
Artur Majewski - trumpet 
Dominik Strycharski - soprano, alto & bass recorders / blockflutes 
Patryk Zakrocki - violin 
Marcin Olak - electric, acoustic guitats 
Rafał Mazur - acoustic bass guitar 
Ksawery Wójciński - double bass 
Hubert Zemler - drums

CD02: Thunder
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Frances Marie Uitti - cello 
Joel Ryan - live electronics 

CD03: Mnemosyne's Labyrinth
Agustí Fernández - piano

CD04: Live in Warsaw 
Agustí Fernández - piano 
Barry Guy - bass 
Ramón López - drums

That does look very tempting. The Guy/Lopez trio is one of my favourite piano trios

On 12/20/2015 at 10:29 PM, niels said:

Thanks for the alert on this. I also really like the Fernandez/Guy/Ropez trio (and where I've heard him elsewhere).

Downloaded it from Bandcamp for just over £18. Bargain! 

8115zXCXtoL._SX425_.jpg

Charles Gayle - Tenor Saxophone,Piano

William Parker - Bass

Hamid Drake - Drums

Another Charles release coming Jan 21st. Semi-looking forward to this one. About half of Charles playing is on Piano, and though at times I enjoy his piano playing, in this ensemble I would prefer him on tenor. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20 December 2015 at 10:29 PM, niels said:

Agustí Fernández 

I ordered this directly from the label. It arrived here very quickly and sounds absolutely stunning so far. 

On December 24, 2015 at 6:17 AM, jcam_44 said:

51YAf17yUdL._SX425_.jpg

Charles Gayle - Tenor Saxophone

Buell Neidlinger - Bass

John Bergamo - Drums

Looks like this was released a few weeks ago. Recorded at John Bergamo's home on a tape recorder in 1965. Can't wait to hear pre-Homeless (Silkheart) Charles.

Completely underwhelming and the sound quality is subpar even for a tape recorder.I wouldn't recommend this unless you're a completist or find it for a good buy.