Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Btw

Borderlands Trio with Kris Davis, Stephen Crump & Eric McPherson is excellent

Right up my alley / I love long form abstract stuff 

4 improvised pieces over 2 CD’s - almost 2 hours of music

On Intakt 

Completely agree. Discovered it last week. Excellent recording.

8 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Very curious why you pay attention to who is visible or who isn’t? 

I'm not sure that was really the point or at least how I understood it. It was a comment that she was simply being missed on the recordings front.

Somewhat like your recent post listing particular players that you miss performing live music.

Interesting that's she's now at Mills. I guess it's inevitable that recordings will be fewer for awhile as she concentrated on new priorities. Noticeably happened with Steve Lehman when he entered academia.

9 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Well, I didn't know who James Brandon Lewis was, so I checked his Molecular album on INTAKT. I though he was extremely boring. Safe robotic playing, generic compositions. Loved Brad Jones / Chad Taylor team though.      

Nothing JBL has done has hit me at all for some reason, including Jesup Wagon. I'm impressed and very pleased with how well he is doing, but surprised that it's him that's generating such heat.

FWIW I didn't intend to imply anything was being missed if you didn't enjoy JBL. I just wanted to chime in as one who liked his playing, specifically Jesup Wagon as that's all I've heard. 

Listening to Borderlands Trio Wandersphere this morning based on the rec and endorsement above and really enjoying it. Much appreciate the tip on that one. 

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Completely agree. Discovered it last week. Excellent recording.

I'm not sure that was really the point or at least how I understood it. It was a comment that she was simply being missed on the recordings front.

Somewhat like your recent post listing particular players that you miss performing live music.

Interesting that's she's now at Mills. I guess it's inevitable that recordings will be fewer for awhile as she concentrated on new priorities. Noticeably happened with Steve Lehman when he entered academia.

Probably true. For years I’ve been upset that Mat Maneri’s various small groups that I’ve seen live never released any recordings. Overall some of these trios thru quintets were the best live sets of music I’ve seen over the past 10 to 12 years. The group with Oscar Noriega, Ed Schuller, Craig Taborn & Randy Peterson is one example. Another was the group co-led by Lucian Ban with Tony Malaby, Bob Stewart and various drummers. I saw them 4-5 times and they were incredible. Last show was with Randy Peterson and it almost imploded due to his power but it ended up being off the chain. 

Other great combo(s) that never released anything was Malaby’s group(s) with Ben Gerstein, Michael Formanek with Billy Mintz & Randy Peterson. Some other variants of that group and they all were mind blowing long form improv. Malaby’s best playing has never shown up in record. When he played with Formanek & Waits they melted the walls and yet clean feed put out a dull studio recording with William Parker. Huge missed opportunities. Plus someone should have recorded some of the live sets of the 9 piece with Kris Davis. Again all we have is a boring studio release on clean feed. 

5 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

FWIW I didn't intend to imply anything was being missed if you didn't enjoy JBL. I just wanted to chime in as one who liked his playing, specifically Jesup Wagon as that's all I've heard. 

Listening to Borderlands Trio Wandersphere this morning based on the rec and endorsement above and really enjoying it. Much appreciate the tip on that one. 

Ordered Wandersphere. Thanks!!

12 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Enjoy!

I'm wondering how Kris Davis gets some of those sounds out of her piano...and is a sampler used anywhere on here? Amazing stuff for sure. 

I’ve never seen her use anything else except the grand piano. She’s a master at getting amazing sounds from the inner works of the piano. Only one listen but this is my favorite recording I’ve heard from her. Too bad we don’t have a worthy recording of Capricorn Climber, her group with Ingrid Laubrock, Mat Maneri, Trevor Dunn & Tom Rainey. Again the only release is a substandard clean feed CD. This trio recording care of Intakt *sounds* wonderful. It’s so important with subtle musicians like Davis (and Crump) as their *sound* is so critical to the music. 

36 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ve never seen her use anything else except the grand piano. She’s a master at getting amazing sounds from the inner works of the piano. Only one listen but this is my favorite recording I’ve heard from her. Too bad we don’t have a worthy recording of Capricorn Climber, her group with Ingrid Laubrock, Mat Maneri, Trevor Dunn & Tom Rainey. Again the only release is a substandard clean feed CD. This trio recording care of Intakt *sounds* wonderful. It’s so important with subtle musicians like Davis (and Crump) as their *sound* is so critical to the music. 

The SQ struck me also in terms of how well they were recorded. I listened via apple music, so the quality carried over into streaming. 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:21 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Purple Dark Opal from Kuzu is also great. Can never have enough Kuzu. Dorji is awesome. 

Listened again to the new Kuzu tonight. Stunning.

listened again to Strandwal with Rempis, Wooley, Niggenkemper & Corsano 

it’s 2 shortish CD’s (each just over 40 minutes) - these 2 sets have a few dry spots but the peaks both softer and louder are as good as with any improvised jazz group that exists today. Wooley with Rempis is a magical combination and the bass/drum tandem is beyond words. 

I really want to know if Dave picked the best show / if they played like this on multiple nights or most nights that blows my mind. Like 99% or even 100% of Rempis’ releases it’s freely improvised so there is nothing to fall back on. That being said with live free improv I’ve always been amazed at the hit rate for these type of small groups. Speaks to their brilliance is my conclusion. Fwiw it’s always better in the small rooms. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Just to leave this here...I have a new one out today: 'Break A Vase' on Intakt Records...

There are a couple of sound samples over at the Intakt Bandcamp - would be really happy if anyone was curious to check it out..!

Thank you.

I've seen a few mentions on social media already and was planning to check this out. 

1 hour ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Just to leave this here...I have a new one out today: 'Break A Vase' on Intakt Records...

There are a couple of sound samples over at the Intakt Bandcamp - would be really happy if anyone was curious to check it out..!

Just to say I think it's a very strong recording indeed (I've been lucky to have it for a week or so). Anyone who's enjoyed the previous Ensemble albums will doubtless enjoy this.  Those new to Alex's music, this is a great place to start.  Rich and involving music, that often belies its complexity with immediacy of impact, played by some terrific musicians.

(As for the marketing team...good job AH is on the case :))

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jennifer Allum, John Butcher, Ute Kanngiesser, Eddie Prévost - Sounds of Assembly (Meenna, 2021)

a3685775303_16.jpg

This got a good review on FJB recently and, for once, I really agree. Some excellent John Butcher set off by violin, cello and percussion. 

I meant to follow that up and forgot, thanks for the reminder. Great line-up

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Just to say I think it's a very strong recording indeed (I've been lucky to have it for a week or so). Anyone who's enjoyed the previous Ensemble albums will doubtless enjoy this.  Those new to Alex's music, this is a great place to start.  Rich and involving music, that often belies its complexity with immediacy of impact, played by some terrific musicians.

(As for the marketing team...good job AH is on the case :))

I meant to follow that up and forgot, thanks for the reminder. Great line-up

Oh haha...you saw the picture! My cynical plans to manipulate the algorithm - jumping on the wild popularity of creative music as a way to draw attention to cat pictures :) Really happy you are enjoying the music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...