Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

2 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Saw Joe McPhee with Universal Indians (John Dikeman, Jon Rune Strøm, Tollef Østvang) last night. Very frustrating experience. I love McPhee and saw him at least 10 times over the last 20 years. Unfortunately, I never saw him in a group that would be complimentary to his immense talent - and this concert was no exception. Dikeman is a good player with extremely forceful sound on tenor - he must be the loudest tenor I saw live (louder than Brötzmann or Gustafsson and at least 1/3 louder than McPhee). I moved to the back of the room, the volume was hurting my ears. A lot of super-fast runs, a lot of wailing. Nothing we have not heard before. McPhee played tenor exclusively with gorgeous sound and beautiful ideas. BUT, he was playing probably three times less than Dikeman, and even when he was, Dikeman would insist on playing behind him (more like in front given his volume). This was extremely annoying. It was similar to Rodrigo Amado / McPhee gig I saw some time ago - there, Amado would not shut up AT ALL. What's wrong with these tenor players?! Are they trying to prove something to McPhee? They are not in their 20s, these are seasoned players who are supposed to know that more is not necessarily good... Even more annoying was a totally inept rhythm section. Tollef Østvang is a shockingly bad drummer. No swing, no ideas, no dynamics, no flow, some clumsy rock licks. Really horrible, I could not believe McPhee would tour and record with a musician of such level. Jon Rune Strøm was OK, nothing interesting but not horrible at least, thank you very much. 

So, in short, no way am I ever going to a Universal Indians gig again, and I still hope to see McPhee live in full glory.               

Unfortunate. I would say many of the same things about the DKV Trio + Joe McPhee gig I saw a few years ago. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

“Empowered” with Alan Wilkinson, N.O. Moore, John Edwards and Eddie Prevost is spectacular

best new “free jazz” recording I’ve heard in a while. Eddie Prevost plays jazz drums at almost 80 like he’s 30. Super Uber grooves throughout and Wilkinson remains as great a free jazz saxophonist as exists in the world. Alto & baritone / plus he doesn’t dominate like some are prone to do (see above). Collective improvisation throughout with a great unexpected Prevost solo before the 10 minute mark.

Reminded me of a show with Malaby, Mat Maneri, Bob Stewart, Lucien Ban & Randy Peterson from 5-6 years ago that had Randy into a solo within the first 10 or 15 minutes / like he just had to explode. And yes it was fall off one's chair stuff. The band almost imploded throughout the 2 sets due to Peterson being “almost” too much. Instead he raised the fucking bandstand and Tony & Mat took shit to another level. Miss that band. Saw them 4 times with different drummers each time. Cleaver, Rainey & Nasheet the other 3 times!!!! Best unrecorded band of the past 15 years I’ve heard. 

sorry for the tangent 

“Empowered” recorded live on 1/9/2019 in London

577 Records 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

10 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

“Empowered” with Alan Wilkinson, N.O. Moore, John Edwards and Eddie Prevost is spectacular

best new “free jazz” recording I’ve heard in a while. Eddie Prevost plays jazz drums at almost 80 like he’s 30. Super Uber grooves throughout and Wilkinson remains as great a free jazz saxophonist as exists in the world. Alto & baritone / plus he doesn’t dominate like some are prone to do (see above). Collective improvisation throughout with a great unexpected Prevost solo before the 10 minute mark.

Reminded me of a show with Malaby, Mat Maneri, Bob Stewart, Lucien Ban & Randy Peterson from 5-6 years ago that had Randy into a solo within the first 10 or 15 minutes / like he just had to explode. And yes it was fall off one's chair stuff. The band almost imploded throughout the 2 sets due to Peterson being “almost” too much. Instead he raised the fucking bandstand and Tony & Mat took shit to another level. Miss that band. Saw them 4 times with different drummers each time. Cleaver, Rainey & Nasheet the other 3 times!!!! Best unrecorded band of the past 15 years I’ve heard. 

sorry for the tangent 

577 Records 

Sounds great, shame it's on 577 rather than Matchless from a UK purchase perspective

Just now, mjazzg said:

Sounds great, shame it's on 577 rather than Matchless from a UK purchase perspective

Even for me in NJ it was over $22 delivered for the CD. Best so far of the batch of stuff I received last month. Most of the other stuff is more small form improv (erstwhile) and some of the more odd recent Relative Pitch & Astral Spirits CD’s. 

1 minute ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Even for me in NJ it was over $22 delivered for the CD. Best so far of the batch of stuff I received last month. Most of the other stuff is more small form improv (erstwhile) and some of the more odd recent Relative Pitch & Astral Spirits CD’s. 

I'm just listening to the one piece available on Bandcamp. I think a download purchase is imminent.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm just listening to the one piece available on Bandcamp. I think a download purchase is imminent.

That old dudes like Prevost & Wilkinson can play with such verve, creativity and energy is so life affirming for. Reminds me of Joe Maneri. His energy level and on the edge excitement of his playing in his late 70’s and early 70’s still astounds me. Trio Concerts with Mat & Randy again tore me up when I listened to it recently. The shows I saw him play at / if only I had better or more knowledgeable ears back then. Plus a clearer mind:)

too bad I’ve never seen Prevost, Wilkinson or John Edwards:(

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

sorry for the tangent 

577 Records 

Bought me a download as well, thanks for the nudge. 

47 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

OK, who got what on bandcamp Friday? 

Gordoa/Malfon/Edwards/Narvesen - Substantial Myths {Sluchaj]

Bourne/Karlsen - The Embalmer [Relative Pitch] by mistake!

Challenger/Tremblay - Twill [Loop Collective]

Will Guthrie - Nist nah [Black truffle]

Sara Serpa - Recognition [Biophilia]

and I'm just off to look for some Isaiah Collier having just seen he play with Kahil El 'Zabar

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Gordoa/Malfon/Edwards/Narvesen - Substantial Myths {Sluchaj]

Bourne/Karlsen - The Embalmer [Relative Pitch] by mistake!

Challenger/Tremblay - Twill [Loop Collective]

Will Guthrie - Nist nah [Black truffle]

Sara Serpa - Recognition [Biophilia]

and I'm just off to look for some Isaiah Collier having just seen he play with Kahil El 'Zabar

Get Collier: Cosmic Transitions. Now on CD too.

First I've heard of the label.

11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I thought he was excellent tonight (I was at the later show). I've never been mad on his leader records though.

Let us know if any of the others shine.

A limited haul for me. Just:

https://abbaarsighennemanwig.bandcamp.com/album/songs

Edited by Rabshakeh

8 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Bruce's Fingers is a treasure trove

13 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Both of them look interesting

On 5/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Which of these have you enjoyed recently? Relative Pitch in particular puts out so much that I have a hard time parsing it and usually only grab titles that either immediately jump out to me or are recommended from trusted sources.

Best Relative Pitch over the past few years:

I have not heard many of the very new ones except Space / with emphasis shown by !!!

Old Smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon Lopez Trio @ Roulette!!!!

We Met and Then!!!

Glass Triangle!!!

Painted!!!

Dromedaries II!!!

Memories of a Turnicate!!!

Dire Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thirty Ways to Avoid Talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mouser!!!!!!!

Bind the Hands that Feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three Stories….Soil!!!!!

The Hallowed Plant!!!!!

The Industry of Entropy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Dream of the Morning!!!

Tempe Jetz!!!

Blind Curves & Box Canyons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying this one at the moment: 

Paul Dunmall Brass Project – Maha Samadhi (Slam, 2016)

R-9586758-1483205396-3326.jpg

2016, so not really a new release.

Dunmall and Olie Brice are both very good on this. The surprise for me though is the trumpeter Percy Pursglove, who is absolutely fantastic. Does anyone know him at all?