Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Plus I’ll comment that Ramon Lopez is simply over the top amazing on the 2018 collection. 

What record is this?

23 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

Had a cursory listen to some of the CDs from the Barry Guy Not Two boxes. This Percy Pursglove guy is something else.

I assume this is just a CD in a CD box set, in which case it is a double no for me (technology and listening preferences), but let me know if it is also free standing as I love Pursglove.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a release but a live show last night

led by William Winant

first set good with Zeena Parkins, the amazing Dunkelman sisters & Ikue Mori

second set a trio with Winant (mostly on drums) with Ava Mendoza and the incredible, spectacular Ches Smith on drums & his genius level laptop electronics. Two 23-24 minute improvisations. I cannot explain to anyone how powerful this was. Explosive. Peak after peak. Blistering blazing hot. 

This Saturday Transatlantic Trance Map / with simultaneous playing from England 3:00 EST @ Roulette in Brooklyn, NY

U.S. contingent 

Sam Pluta 

Ned Rothenberg

Craig Taborn

Sylvie Courvoisier

Mat Maneri

Ikue Mori

England Contingent:

Evan Parker

Peter Evans

Matt Wright

Pat Thomas

Hannah Marshall

Robert Jarvis

Alex Ward

Will be in the front row 

• 2 weeks later...

Not going mention any right now but the number of great new releases I’ve heard is overwhelming this past year. Most jazz listeners are simply missing out. Seems most here (not on this thread) simply don’t give a shit about the truly exciting new music being recorded and being performed live for the past 5-10 years. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 12/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, jazzbo said:

I ordered 12. They won't make any money off this offer.

I also ordered 12: all of the Steve Lacy's, the Don Preston, the 70's one with Gunther Hampel, and three others just as curiosities.  Will see what the fill rate is, but I can't go too far wrong with $27.60 to a good cause.

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

50 years

Issue for me is that the new music of the past 5-10 or even 12/15 years is often incredibly different and of a truly new vibe and structure. Whether it is compositionally based or freely improvised, much of it is stunning in its execution and creativity. Most people who are supposed learned listeners haven’t any idea of what’s been happening. Old & new, young & fresh, new voices & instrumentation, etc. 

18 hours ago, felser said:

I also ordered 12: all of the Steve Lacy's, the Don Preston, the 70's one with Gunther Hampel, and three others just as curiosities.  Will see what the fill rate is, but I can't go too far wrong with $27.60 to a good cause.

I also went for the offer, ordered 11, most recognizable Crispell and the 6 Lol Coxhill titles. No idea about the fill rate...website implies out-of-stock items are produced on demand (CD-R?), but not sure that'll apply to the sale. Certainly no beef with CD-R at these prices.

Granted none of these really qualify as new releases, but it's a step...

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I also went for the offer, ordered 11, most recognizable Crispell and the 6 Lol Coxhill titles. No idea about the fill rate...website implies out-of-stock items are produced on demand (CD-R?), but not sure that'll apply to the sale. Certainly no beef with CD-R at these prices.

Granted none of these really qualify as new releases, but it's a step...

Website also indicated that out of stock items for this offer would be filled with "similar items".  Reminds me of the very early 70's Record Club of America scheme, where, if they were out of stock on an item you ordered, they just sent something else instead.  But in this case, hard to go too far wrong.  BTW, I also ordered the Crispell in my bunch.  Coxhill gets so weird so often, I shied away from his titles.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Website also indicated that out of stock items for this offer would be filled with "similar items".  Reminds me of the very early 70's Record Club of America scheme, where, if they were out of stock on an item you ordered, they just sent something else instead.  But in this case, hard to go too far wrong.  BTW, I also ordered the Crispell in my bunch.  Coxhill gets so weird so often, I shied away from his titles.

I figured that @$1.50 per disc I can deal with (and even expect) weirdness. 😄

For instance, went for the strange-looking Bang! by Roberto Zorzi because of the sidemen (Berne, Feldman, Robertson, Previte). The Einstein's Cosmic Messengers DVD looks interesting (I'm a science buff), but I doubted DVDs were included in the offer so didn't think to include it. 

Edited by T.D.
spelling, italics