Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

7 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I understand a lot of what's being said here. OTOH, I don't need ALL of my music to be "incendiary". Other emotions work too.

Light and Dance is the exact opposite, fwiw

most of what I love is far away from “Old Smoke”. It’s just that when I first heard it I was taken aback as to the energy level. It has the classic free jazz force and power albeit with a much more modern sound and feel - and filled with mid tempo or even dirge like movement. Corsano is a master at moving the grooves around. 

Odd thing is when Cleaver was in place of Corsano (Live at Roulette) the sound of the trio changed to a much more sublime and measured approach. sometimes even minimalist. I’m a big fan of silence and quiet intense tension. These are the subtle qualities of the best improvisors. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

the vast majority of the posters on this board refuse to engage with jazz/improvised music that was recorded in the last decades (like five last decades, if you ask me). Whenever newish music is brought up it is usually the stuff that could have just as well been recorded in 1960.

I like this thread, but I do feel like sometimes it all just trundles along, with the present turning into the forgotten past.

Whatever happened between 1979 and 2020 is still a dead zone that no one mentions, whether you follow this thread or not. It is right that there is almost no "jazz/improvised music recorded in the last decades" posted on this board. But it is not like the posters on this thread are excitedly reminiscing about the great records of 1987, 1998 or 2012 or anything. It is all 2021/2022. Next year it will be all 2022/2023. And we won't hear about the 2021/2022 stuff again. Twitter is the same (but lamer): endless excitable blurb for the new releases then you generally never hear about them again.

That's a real shame. I think that period from the mid 1990s to around 2018 was a bit of a golden age for modern/avant jazz and improv, as currently practiced, and I really would like to actually see more discussion of it.

Edited by Rabshakeh

39 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I like this thread, but I do feel like sometimes it all just trundles along, with the present turning into the forgotten past.

I agree. I often restrain myself from posting here about older stuff (like super-old, 2010 or something) mindful of the thread's premise (new releases). Perhaps the discussion focus could be broadened somewhat - like "modern / avant stuff  I am enjoying at the moment".   

4 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

I agree. I often restrain myself from posting here about older stuff (like super-old, 2010 or something) mindful of the thread's premise (new releases). Perhaps the discussion focus could be broadened somewhat - like "modern / avant stuff  I am enjoying at the moment".   

I'd post in a thread like that.

48 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

I should just go for it. I don't see the inhabitants of this thread suddenly pulling you up because it's not a recent release.

That said the posts about recent releases can prove invaluable

Now listening to Lantana - Elemental from colinmce's list. This is outstanding.  Leandre writing the notes makes absolute sense.

Edited by mjazzg

34 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Now listening to Lantana - Elemental from colinmce's list. This is outstanding.  Leandre writing the notes makes absolute sense.

Cipsela is a nice little label. If you order CDs from their website directly, they ship for free worldwide. Might work out better than with bandcamp's VAT and shipping fees. 

44 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Cipsela is a nice little label. If you order CDs from their website directly, they ship for free worldwide. Might work out better than with bandcamp's VAT and shipping fees. 

Thanks, I had added it the BC cart. I have a couple of Cipsela releases but have lost touched with the label

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Whatever happened between 1979 and 2020 is still a dead zone that no one mentions, whether you follow this thread or not. It is right that there is almost no "jazz/improvised music recorded in the last decades" posted on this board. But it is not like the posters on this thread are excitedly reminiscing about the great records of 1987, 1998 or 2012 or anything. It is all 2021/2022. Next year it will be all 2022/2023. And we won't hear about the 2021/2022 stuff again. Twitter is the same (but lamer): endless excitable blurb for the new releases then you generally never hear about them again.

That's a real shame. I think that period from the mid 1990s to around 2018 was a bit of a golden age for modern/avant jazz and improv, as currently practiced, and I really would like to actually see more discussion of it.

A lot of my exploration of "modern" jazz winds up in that period. I don't have much background, buy a lot of used recordings, and often try to build up some kind of base rather than chasing after the very newest releases. Some purchases (e.g. NoBusiness) are archival-type releases of familiar names.

But my erudition is not sufficient (either depth or breadth) to post on threads, so I mainly lurk.

Edited by T.D.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Excellent post, totally agree. 

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

A lot of my exploration of "modern" jazz winds up in that period. I don't have much background, buy a lot of used recordings, and often try to build up some kind of base rather than chasing after the very newest releases. Some purchases (e.g. NoBusiness) are archival-type releases of familiar names.

But my erudition is not sufficient (either depth or breadth) to post on threads, so I mainly lurk.

I'd say all voices are welcome, it's not about deep or broad erudition but just sharing enthusiasm. We can all learn from everyone. So if ever you feel tempted please do post.

33 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'd say all voices are welcome, it's not about deep or broad erudition but just sharing enthusiasm. We can all learn from everyone. So if ever you feel tempted please do post.

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

Definitely agree!

I haven't read this thread super closely, so apologies if the following is redundant. But one younger musician I've really enjoyed over the last few years is James Brandon Lewis. Currently listening to one of the DL-only releases from Cafe Oto, a fierce trio with John Edwards and Mark Sanders. My man Stevie Rey would surely love this.

5 hours ago, Jason Bivins said:

I haven't read this thread super closely, so apologies if the following is redundant. But one younger musician I've really enjoyed over the last few years is James Brandon Lewis. Currently listening to one of the DL-only releases from Cafe Oto, a fierce trio with John Edwards and Mark Sanders. My man Stevie Rey would surely love this.

Possibly seeing a quartet on January 14th at The New School with James Brandon Lewis, Ingrid Laubrock, Chad Taylor & Tom Rainey. If I don’t see them that night I’ll be seeing Tim Berne’s quartet including Mat Maneri in Brooklyn. 

January 19 more of a sure thing at The New School. Ches Smith’s group with JBL, Nate Wooley, Shahzad Ismaily on bass (new to me) & Ches on drums & his amazing electronics. This after the previous night the 18th which is Ches, Mat Maneri, Mary Halvorson & Craig Taborn. That core trio (sans Mary) is responsible for 3-4 of the best live shows I’ve ever seen. Their first show 2 sets on a Sunday night March 2013 @ Cornelia Street Cafe remains imbedded in my head as an easy top 5 show ever. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

On 12/27/2022 at 7:17 AM, T.D. said:

I got e-mail today informing me that only 2 of 11 ordered titles were in-stock. Andrea kindly offered the option of substitution or refund. 

I went for substitution. What the heck, most of my selections were shots in the dark anyway.

I got my package today.  Seven of my 12 (including six Steve Lacy titles, plus the Don Preston) filled with original artwork intact.  Two filled with generic packaging but legit discs (and xeroxed original artwork in one case). three "substitute" CD's instead of the titles I had ordered, and two "bonus" CD's, one with original artwork, the other with generic packaging and xeroxed liner notes.  Not what I hoped for, but no complaints for $27.60, and it goes to a good cause.  Not sure how many (if any) I end up keeping, but I certainly should be able to find a new home at least for the six Lacy CD's if they aren't keepers for me.

19 hours ago, felser said:

I got my package today.  Seven of my 12 (including six Steve Lacy titles, plus the Don Preston) filled with original artwork intact.  Two filled with generic packaging but legit discs (and xeroxed original artwork in one case). three "substitute" CD's instead of the titles I had ordered, and two "bonus" CD's, one with original artwork, the other with generic packaging and xeroxed liner notes.  Not what I hoped for, but no complaints for $27.60, and it goes to a good cause.  Not sure how many (if any) I end up keeping, but I certainly should be able to find a new home at least for the six Lacy CD's if they aren't keepers for me.

I also received the package today. I ordered a few days after you, and conclude response to the offer was strong: got filled on only 1 out of 11 titles (and that was the gong meditation disc!), but received a bonus compilation. Heavier on duets than I'd prefer, but overall the substitutions are reasonable and fair. All CDs in original packaging with artwork.

Going to have fun listening, may wind up keeping nearly everything as the major option would be donating to a local library.

[Added] The one disappointment is that I didn't get filled with any Mitteleuropa Orchestra titles. Hoped to get some because I prefer the larger ensembles.

Edited by T.D.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:11 PM, Jason Bivins said:

I'll have to check that. Seen JBL many times, a very engaging, creative player and a kind, kind person.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A couple of releases from Fundacja Sluchaj in Warsaw tempted me and arrived today.

first up ….

Carrier/ von Schlippenbach/Edward’s/ Lambert ——unwalled ——-(FSR22/2022)

beautiful sound . Music is challenging as you might expect but approachable in my view 

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

A couple of releases from Fundacja Sluchaj in Warsaw tempted me and arrived today.

first up ….

Carrier/ von Schlippenbach/Edward’s/ Lambert ——unwalled ——-(FSR22/2022)

beautiful sound . Music is challenging as you might expect but approachable in my view 

Will definitely check this. Also enjoyed watching some footage on YouTube of Rodrigo Amado's new/ish group with von Schlippenbach, Flaten, Gerry Hemingway.