Jump to content

Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread


colinmce
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, colinmce said:

two new Barry Guy box sets on Not Two

https://www.nottwo.com/mw1027

https://www.nottwo.com/mw1031

as well as a new trio disc on Maya

https://mayarecordings.bandcamp.com/album/acanthis

Easiest automatic order ever. As you all know I’m of the voice that all of the previous Barry Guy box sets are the ultimate in modern intense free improvisation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, colinmce said:

Mine is in!

His groups and these musicians / young & old / continue to create stunning freely improvised music. The level of improvisation and truly creative music that are on these boxes is astounding. Especially Tensegrity & Intensegrity with dudes like Agusti, Evans, Gabriel & Snekkstadt (spelling) etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 10:44 AM, colinmce said:

serpent.pl has a number of excellent Not Two items deeply discounted. Shipping rates are very favorable and USD is ~1:1 with the euro.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/serpent.pl/profile?sort=price%2Casc&limit=250&q=not+two

Received my boxes today. Starting with the 2018 5 CD box. Lots of Purcy & Rafal. Can never get enough of these musicians. Add in Snekkestad, Mette, Lytton, KV Agusti & Ramon Lopez and what you have appears to be magic music. 4 discs of improv then a new 57 minute piece with Mats Gustafsson & Liudas Mockunas (2 of the greatest saxophonists on the planet) added and I think I’m looking forward to disc 5. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Received my boxes today. Starting with the 2018 5 CD box. Lots of Purcy & Rafal. Can never get enough of these musicians. Add in Snekkestad, Mette, Lytton, KV Agusti & Ramon Lopez and what you have appears to be magic music. 4 discs of improv then a new 57 minute piece with Mats Gustafsson & Liudas Mockunas (2 of the greatest saxophonists on the planet) added and I think I’m looking forward to disc 5. 

 

Wow, great. I ordered mine the day they were posted and there seems to be a problem in the mail. Hoping they will show up eventually. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disorder at the Border plus Tobias Delius

Kataklisma

fundacja sluchaj

Daniele D’Agaro, Giovanni Maier & Zlatko Kaucic

no Ornette covers like the astounding Not Two release but the addition of the great Delius makes this a great show/release / all fully improvised. Maier is a great great bassist. 

recorded live on 9/15/2017

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Disorder at the Border plus Tobias Delius

Kataklisma

fundacja sluchaj

Daniele D’Agaro, Giovanni Maier & Zlatko Kaucic

no Ornette covers like the astounding Not Two release but the addition of the great Delius makes this a great show/release / all fully improvised. Maier is a great great bassist. 

recorded live on 9/15/2017

 

new batch looks especially promising.

& spoke too soon on the Barry Guy sets, they were in the mailbox yesterday! I'll start digging in tomorrow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, colinmce said:

new batch looks especially promising.

& spoke too soon on the Barry Guy sets, they were in the mailbox yesterday! I'll start digging in tomorrow. 

Listening to the 18 minute piece from the quartet with Picard, Niesemann, Guy & Niggli

It’s incredible how fresh this “old school” improv sounds. These “small formation” improvisations always stun me with their vibrancy. Niggli is a powerhouse. Guy is as great as ever at over 70. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2022 at 12:36 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Listening to the 18 minute piece from the quartet with Picard, Niesemann, Guy & Niggli

It’s incredible how fresh this “old school” improv sounds. These “small formation” improvisations always stun me with their vibrancy. Niggli is a powerhouse. Guy is as great as ever at over 70. 

Skipping to the 41 minute version of Harmos. Listened to good portions of each box. All great so far. Couldn’t resist. Imagining seeing and hearing this awe inspiring ensemble live.

they are killing it. Niggli is a monster. The recording as always with Not Two is stunning. Never heard a large ensemble recorded so well. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Skipping to the 41 minute version of Harmos. Listened to good portions of each box. All great so far. Couldn’t resist. Imagining seeing and hearing this awe inspiring ensemble live.

they are killing it. Niggli is a monster. The recording as always with Not Two is stunning. Never heard a large ensemble recorded so well. 

The 3 shortish tracks from the 2018 concerts with Guy, Mazur & Lopez are all-time heavy energy improvisations. Stunning. 21 minutes combined. The combination of the 2 bassists and the *great* Ramon Lopez on drums would seem to be unusual but it’s incredible. Glad I was able to see him live with Turbine a few years ago.

Edited by Steve Reynolds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mailbox is begging for mercy on this bandcamp Friday... 

Meanwhile, a November best-of-jazz bandcamp write-up. Except for a few well familiar operators, I barely know anybody from the list - which is good. Plan to skim through these tonight.

Had a cursory listen to some of the CDs from the Barry Guy Not Two boxes. This Percy Pursglove guy is something else. Curious about the Barry Guy / Vandermark combination - avoided Vandermark for decades (I guess the last thing of his I enjoyed were AALY Trio discs - and these are 20-25 (!) years old now).   

 

On 11/28/2022 at 9:51 PM, colinmce said:

This [ https://mayarecordings.bandcamp.com/album/acanthis ] showed up the other day with a lovely postcard from Barry. Only once through so far, but it's very, very impressive work. 

Yes, streamed it a couple of times, great stuff. 

a0209651421_10.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just noticed a note on the EMANEM website (my emphasis):

This web site is closed for sales during the winter.
Unfortunately, the local post office (really a sorting office) closes at 10 AM. This means that, in order to post something, I have to get up and go out early before the day has warmed up. I am feeling too old for such a routine, so I am hibernating until the spring and then will see how I feel. (I always wanted a long life, but did not want the limitations and frustrations of old age!)
During my hibernation, I hope to be able to investigate that possibilities of putting downloads on Bandcamp, and also reduce the prices of much of the existing stock for sale after the winter. I am not expecting to issue any new CDs, nor to reissue or repress any CDs.
M.D.

Not surprising, Mr. Davidson (one-man-Emanem) turned 80 this year.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

My mailbox is begging for mercy on this bandcamp Friday... 

Meanwhile, a November best-of-jazz bandcamp write-up. Except for a few well familiar operators, I barely know anybody from the list - which is good. Plan to skim through these our tonight.

These lists are absolutely terrible. I take the time to give a cursory skim to each one every month and the music is almost uniformly boring, bland, warmed over, corny, you name it. I also can't stand the writing style. Very unserious stuff. 

1 minute ago, Д.Д. said:

Just noticed a note on the EMANEM website (my emphasis):

This web site is closed for sales during the winter.
Unfortunately, the local post office (really a sorting office) closes at 10 AM. This means that, in order to post something, I have to get up and go out early before the day has warmed up. I am feeling too old for such a routine, so I am hibernating until the spring and then will see how I feel. (I always wanted a long life, but did not want the limitations and frustrations of old age!)
During my hibernation, I hope to be able to investigate that possibilities of putting downloads on Bandcamp, and also reduce the prices of much of the existing stock for sale after the winter. I am not expecting to issue any new CDs, nor to reissue or repress any CDs.
M.D.

Not surprising, Mr. Davidson (one-man-Emanem) turned 80 this year.   

Personally I would love to see him hand over his inventory to another party, or parties-- preferably in both the US and Europe. I have had only great experiences ordering directly from him, but it would be nice to have some more options, and I would hate to see the catalog fall out of circulation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Personally I would love to see him [Martin Davidson of EMANEM] hand over his inventory to another party, or parties-- preferably in both the US and Europe. I have had only great experiences ordering directly from him, but it would be nice to have some more options, and I would hate to see the catalog fall out of circulation. 

Well, having a distributor for CDs does not make sense economically for anybody involved. Bandcamp probably does, I hope Mr Davidson finds strength, enthusiasm and resources to set it up (and I am sure he's sitting on potentially releasable treasure trove of stuff that never saw the light of the day).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

My mailbox is begging for mercy on this bandcamp Friday... 

Meanwhile, a November best-of-jazz bandcamp write-up. Except for a few well familiar operators, I barely know anybody from the list - which is good. Plan to skim through these tonight.

Had a cursory listen to some of the CDs from the Barry Guy Not Two boxes. This Percy Pursglove guy is something else. Curious about the Barry Guy / Vandermark combination - avoided Vandermark for decades (I guess the last thing of his I enjoyed were AALY Trio discs - and these are 20-25 (!) years old now).   

 

Yes, streamed it a couple of times, great stuff. 

a0209651421_10.jpg

Yeah this dude Pursglove is right there with me next to Wooley & Evans. Maybe even a more natural improvisor than the Americans. 
 

fwiw KV will never be a natural. He’s a grinder but he gets to better places these days. I’m a big fan of some or even most of his large group stuff. Some of his experimental stuff with younger musicians and electronics is very strong as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plus I’ll comment that Ramon Lopez is simply over the top amazing on the 2018 collection. Me loves me some Paul Lytton but the improvs with Lopez have such a bouncy swinging energy. Trios with Mazur & Purcy and then the aforementioned trios with Guy & Mazur. As far as Rafal Mazur I’ve been screaming about him here and anywhere for 6-7 years now. He’s a genius level player on his custom bass. He demands to be heard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...