Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn, wanted to use a gift card on my Mosaic order but didn't see where the hell I could have entered it ... send them a mail hoping they can still make use of it. Otherwise I'm kinda pissed ... they hand out gift cards but have no place where you can actually enter the number? I see on the card it says I have to order by phone or mail, but how inconvenient is that, I know NSA has my credit card anyway, but still, and doing international calls is still rather expensive in this country ... crap!

Picked up the Tolliver Big Band Select, the Mulligan Select, and the Lloyd single.

I'm a huge Lloyd fan, so I'll know I'll enjoy that disc. The only material I already have is the earlier mono Gerry Mulligan Songbook release, so I have much to look forward to.

Was (and still am) on the fence about the Chu Berry and dropped it from my cart at the last instant.

Another vote for the Mulligan; I thoroughly enjoy it. Don't overlook the Cohn, Newman and Green if you like Basie-type small group swing. I wish I could love the Bechet more, but there are too many alternates for my tastes. And a big thumbs up for Art Blakey - Hard Bop; probably the best of the Jackie McLean sessions, with beautiful sound.

Hm, I think there's better Newman (the Swingville with Frank Foster is magnificient!) and Cohn. Nothing against the Select, it's nice and all, but as so many RCAs, it's a bit on the light side (or on the side of: producer calling a very strict regiment).

You're right, this Basie-like RCA material is a bit light/samey, even though the individual musicians may be excellent.

As far as Basie-like stuff goes, my vote is for the Quinichette albums (Prestige and ... uhm, Mighty Quinn ... Capitol or where was that one from?), they really are a nice bunch, all four of them!

Cohn has done some great things, of course, but I hear those RCAs on the good rather than very good (not to mention great) side.

And again, the Joe Newman with Frank Foster is magic! This one:

MI0001984076.jpg

And a big thumbs up for Art Blakey - Hard Bop; probably the best of the Jackie McLean sessions, with beautiful sound.

One of the best of the Singles IMO - and they did a very good job with the sound. Essential..

Is it my imagination or has the Bechet returned from the dead in 'Last Chance'?

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...