Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmmm...still not sure...especially after reading this review on the Mosaic site:

3note.gifDeconstructing Tony Williams When I saw that photo of Denny Zeitlin on wikipedia, you know the one, the old man wearing leather pants and a colorful blouse, I knew it was he who led young Tony astray. An admitted psychotherapist, Denny Zeitlin has been discreetly operating on the fringes of the San Francisco jazz scene since heaven knows when. Surely Miles Davis, and The Beatles had an insidious influence on the young talent, but I am convinced that it was Zeitlin himself who was the driving force behind the wasted years of what could have been one of the greatest jazz drummers in all of history.

Maybe that sleep was actually psychotheraputic subliminal hypnotics embedded in the grooves of the LPs...and if so, how do I not know that Mosaic has not transferred them to these CDs?

I do not want to end up with yellow drums. That should not be my fate in life, you know what I mean?

Look at it this way: with the LPs, you could only get 15-18 minutes of sleep at a time, whereas with the CDs, you could get an uninterrupted 60+ minutes of sleep! Worth it for that alone.

It's interesting: I've been to some pretty loud free jazz concerts, and yet any number of people will nod off before the concert is 10 minutes old. It's a pretty regular occurrence. There is one person I could swear goes for the sleep, not the music.

just sent payment last night ... had them put aside some for me ... now can hardly wait for them to get here (Hackett, Zeitlin, Handy, Mercer, Boogie Woogie and Toshiko) - will have to bribe the mis-guided self-declared "liberal" politics of monopolising imports again for sure, fegh em, but hey, the dollar is still cheap so I'm not complainin' too loudly ;)

I see you've gone for the Hackett. Good move - I've done the same.

Zeitlin appears to be gone. Mine arrived in the mail today, but I'll have to put off listening to it until tomorrow as today is :party: Dexter Gordon's birthday :party: and I'll be spinning all sorts of Dex. :party: :party: :party:

Edited by Ed Swinnich

just sent payment last night ... had them put aside some for me ... now can hardly wait for them to get here (Hackett, Zeitlin, Handy, Mercer, Boogie Woogie and Toshiko) - will have to bribe the mis-guided self-declared "liberal" politics of monopolising imports again for sure, fegh em, but hey, the dollar is still cheap so I'm not complainin' too loudly ;)

I see you've gone for the Hackett. Good move - I've done the same.

Yes, with all the Selects suddenly hitting the "running low" list (glad I got the Booby a few months ago - came back in stock and out it goes ... the end of the Selects is pretty near now, alas!) I figured I'll just put in another big order. I'm nearing - for the very first time after nearly 20 years of collecting Mosaic boxes - the state of having almost all I want (missing the Luncerford, Artie Shaw, not sure about the Crosby and the Goodman ... skipping the Satchmo, not sure about Ella and Woody Shaw either yet ... and the new Satchmo will go to the wantlist immediately although probably I won't pre-order. I kinda feel ... saturated ;)

Seriously now, I enjoy Hackett's playing where he popped up so far (including the two albums he made with Teagarden) and even though it will probably not turn out a real "must have", it would be one of those cases where I'd be angry at myself for missing it (there are a few of those, but I've found a dozen or so OOP sets in the meantime, although usually not at crazily cheap prices, but affordable and fair).

Yes, the quality of the playing really shines through in the Hackett collection, even though classic jazz it aint. One of those I think that I would be kicking myself later on if I passed on it (Mildred Bailey comes to mind..)

I've ordered the 'Ella and Duke' LP box as well as several others of the new LP sets. With the discount this month and the pound up a bit, now is the time for those. Also snagged one of the George Wein in Mexicos. :)

As of this morning, looks like Denny Zeitlin has gone from 'Last Chance'. Andrew Hill is still in there..

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, the quality of the playing really shines through in the Hackett collection, even though classic jazz it aint. One of those I think that I would be kicking myself later on if I passed on it (Mildred Bailey comes to mind..)

I've ordered the 'Ella and Duke' LP box as well as several others of the new LP sets. With the discount this month and the pound up a bit, now is the time for those. Also snagged one of the George Wein in Mexicos. :)

As of this morning, looks like Denny Zeitlin has gone from 'Last Chance'. Andrew Hill is still in there..

The Venuti/Lang is probably the one I kick myself most ... got the JSP then - worlds apart, of course! The Bailey I got, hesitatingly - but boy is it good!

Recently got the Ella/Duke CD box, so I'll pass that vinyl set - still haven't bought any of those, not even the Monk/Coltrane ... next ones I'd be tempted would be the Coltrane and the Brownie, but in both cases I've got it all (and much more in the case of Brown/Roach) on CD.

I'm listening to the Hackett "easy listening" sides now. These have been criticized for that but I admire how he plays within the songs while subtly adding to and improving the songs with his unique sound and style. To me, they are very much like the Ella Songbooks when she sings with an appreciation for the song. And the "jazz" sides are a nice addition to those he recorded with Teagarden. I'm a fan.

Well, I started another thread about how my Hard Bop disc that just arrived has several chips along the edge of the silver backing. Worried about it further deteriorating and becoming unplayable, I requested a replacement. They just sold out and are unable to replace it. That, my friends, is why we shouldn't wait until the last minute. I can't tell you how many times I almost ordered it over the years when a replacement would've been readily available. :(

Edited by Justin V

Well, I started another thread about how my Hard Bop disc that just arrived has several chips along the edge of the silver backing. Worried about it further deteriorating and becoming unplayable, I requested a replacement. They just sold out and are unable to replace it. That, my friends, is why we shouldn't wait until the last minute. I can't tell you how many times I almost ordered it over the years when a replacement would've been readily available. :(

PM sent (yesterday).

The Chu Berry set has gone. :(

I hope we this sort of set again. Like some of the best Mosaics it brought together tracks from various labels honouring a musician previously denied "box set" patronage. The Serge Chaloff might be the best example of this sort of set.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1005

Looks to be back in stock, however temporarily.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1005

Looks to be back in stock, however temporarily.

I wonder if they haven't updated their site yet, as I was told Friday afternoon that it was sold out.