Whole batch of Mosaic Selects and Singles running low

I dig it for the writing and the ensemble. The solos are all fine, but (mostly) not the reason for digging the set. Back in the day, I always had minor reservations about the Akiyoshi/Tabackin band as having a little too much "studio player" tinge. But revisiting the material collectively like this finalized the realization that Toshiko had a voice, that this was it, and, really, it took players of that caliber to make those charts speak the way they did. People (including a few people I know who played in the band for a little bit) often call her writing "busy", and sometimes as a negative, and that it is, but there's a difference between "busy" and "cluttered", right? I find that in the end, it's a helluva lot of detail, none of it superfluous or gratuitous.

Or, as one of my aforementioned friends said upon hearing Monday's 4 Seasons for the first time - "Man, that's a lot of things going on all at once...she comes by it honestly, that's for sure".

It might not be for everybody, and it might not be the type of thing that hits you all a once...it's not easy music at all. But hell, buy it now, figure it out later if you have to do it like that. Because there is a "there" there, definitely.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered the Akiyoshi/Tabackin set and the Jazz Crusaders set. I've been on the fence for both of them for a while and just figured it was now or never.

Kevin (or anyone else), how is the Akiyoshi/Tabackin set?

I picked it up because I really didn't know anything about them, actually. I liked the clips and figured it would be a good way to get into them. I've only been through it once, so far. There's a diversity of music, but it all seems pretty interesting.

I'll pass the Artie Shaw, never wa much of a clarinet fan.But I might go for the Hamp before it's too late .....

You better hurry. Hesitation can be fatal when Mosaics start "running low"!

gregmo

I picked up Artie's "Self Portrait" box that he assembled several years ago and got great reviews. I still haven't listened to it much, but am glad it's in my collection.

A different seller (jazzrecordcenter, 100% rating), but here is a 'like new' Cecil Taylor Mosaic, numbered 21. Bidding starts at $75, no PayPal. Five days to go.

eBay

What's funny is that if someone reports them, their listings will be pulled. When you sell on eBay, you can't refuse to accept PayPal. eBay put this rule in place years ago, shortly after they bought Paypal.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

A different seller (jazzrecordcenter, 100% rating), but here is a 'like new' Cecil Taylor Mosaic, numbered 21. Bidding starts at $75, no PayPal. Five days to go.

eBay

What's funny is that if someone reports them, their listings will be pulled. When you sell on eBay, you can't refuse to accept PayPal. eBay put this rule in place years ago, shortly after they bought Paypal.

Maybe they accept payment in cash only, small bills, plain envelope. Sounds like a good deal all the way around...

eBay

Wonder if this will change now that they're spinning off PayPal.

Jazz Record Center has been an Ebay seller for years without offering Paypal because they don't have to. From Ebay's site: To make sure buyers on eBay have safe, convenient, online payment options, sellers are required to offer at least one of these payment methods: PayPal, credit card processing through an Internet merchant account, or ProPay.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hope that no one here who doesn't already have the Ellington Small Group Sessions misses out on it - beautiful classic music.

And the Hampton isn't in that class, but it still is wonderful music.

Right on Paul.

Mike, your thinking cap is on straight!