Wayne Shorter's Without A Net on the Blue Note label

EyeSpeech

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find most strange about the cover is that it appears to be a nude woman & young girl falling from the sky. Considering what happened to Wayne's wife & neice... well, could it be that this is what Wayne was doing here or does he actually not see the connection?

Wayne not only lost his wife and niece, he also lost his young daughter decades ago.

What I find most strange about the cover is that it appears to be a nude woman & young girl falling from the sky. Considering what happened to Wayne's wife & neice... well, could it be that this is what Wayne was doing here or does he actually not see the connection?

Wayne not only lost his wife and niece, he also lost his young daughter decades ago.

There was never a good explanation put forth as to why the plane crashed, and I recall folks saying that they had seen something hit the plane.

There was never a good explanation put forth as to why the plane crashed, and I recall folks saying that they had seen something hit the plane.

Pretty sure there was a good explanation, something to do with vapors igniting from a fuel tank (or maybe it was oxygen?)

Pretty sure there was a good explanation, something to do with vapors igniting from a fuel tank (or maybe it was oxygen?)

Most likely explanation I believe was flammable fuel vapours in one of the tanks, exacerbated by hot conditions on the tarmac and ignition by a short-circuit fault (fuel probe?).

Edited by sidewinder

Most likely explanation I believe was flammable fuel vapours in one of the tanks, exacerbated by hot conditions on the tarmac and ignition by a short-circuit fault (fuel probe?).

And "eyewitness" testimony (remember people seeing a "missle"?) is notoriously unreliable to psychologists.

• 2 weeks later...

the emperor has no clothes. Paradoxically, though I listened to it, I find it unlistenable.

I'm glad that someone else had this reaction. I listened to it on NPR and was bored. The track with the wind ensemble was downright annoying. I cancelled my order on Amazon. I was astonished to see the article in NYT today. But I often find the NYT jazz folks unreliable.

I'll always remember listening to Shorter's group back in 2002 or 2003, at the Kennedy Center. There were a lot of folks who came expecting to hear him play like he did in the 60's or even the 70's, and of course, got something completely different. Many were pissed and left before the second performance. Just read the NYT article, and I do have issues with some things the author says, in particular about improvised music. But emperor has no clothes? Not in the least. I find it great that he is still reading the latest sci fi fiction, and he's even checking out what the current music scene is, abhorrent it might be to most of us. I'll pick up this cd ASAP.

I listened to some of the album on NPR and thought it sounded great. Emperor has no clothes, fuck no. Obviously it's not everybody's cup of tea. No one is obliged to like it, and of course some might only pretend to like it because the New York Times told them to (not much chance of that in this room, I'd say). But if it were just fashionable and empty, it wouldn't rub some people the wrong way as much as it seems to. If it annoys you that much, it's that there is something there to annoy you.