Mark Stryker

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not sure this is a greatest album, but it is frustrating - The Fourmost Guitars compiles three different guitar-led sessions: Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Raney and then Joe Puma/Dick Garcia (a 2 guitar session).  The Raney and Puma/Garcia tracks have come out in various other formats, including on CD, I think.

But not the 3 Chuck Wayne tracks.  Since Dave Schildkraut plays alto on 2 of them, this is particularly tantalizing.

Apparently the whole album was even on iTunes, but no longer.  :(

It may still be on Amazon music (in the US only) and Spotify (listed under Jimmy Raney only), but it is still a bit odd this never came out on CD as a single unit.

Edited by ejp626

• 1 month later...
On 12.10.2019 at 3:45 AM, ejp626 said:

Not sure this is a greatest album, but it is frustrating - The Fourmost Guitars compiles three different guitar-led sessions: Chuck Wayne, Jimmy Raney and then Joe Puma/Dick Garcia (a 2 guitar session).  The Raney and Puma/Garcia tracks have come out in various other formats, including on CD, I think.

But not the 3 Chuck Wayne tracks.  Since Dave Schildkraut plays alto on 2 of them, this is particularly tantalizing.

Apparently the whole album was even on iTunes, but no longer.  :(

It may still be on Amazon music (in the US only) and Spotify (listed under Jimmy Raney only), but it is still a bit odd this never came out on CD as a single unit.

Yes you are correct. Have a Jasmin vinyl reissue myself which has very good playback sound.

Have also looked up at Discogs but they do list only LP's. Here is my copy.

37353791ox.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
additions

On 3/8/2018 at 0:06 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

I have Applause CDs of Always Something There and Look of Love, I really don't think the're that f'ing bad.  Criminally, these and Grant's Visions have never been out on revived BN CDs.   But then there's still unissued BN (not 'rejected') that's never been out anywhere.

I'm surprised no one corrected this misstatement. Visions has been reissued on CD three times, and the two Turrentine titles were reissued on CD in 2014.

Ok, I am SHOCKED that this LP never made it to an OJC, especially since a later, lesser record by this same front-line band did.

R-2445856-1284482313.jpeg.jpg

R-2445856-1399126097-8880.jpeg.jpg

Not at all "outside", just "modern", not unlike an early Woody Shaw record. Pete Robinson + Juni(e) Booth make this one kick in and stay kicked in. Should have been on CD a looooooong time ago.

I really dig this one -- Mike Richmond's Dream Waves:

R-2727572-1337168778-3063.jpeg.jpg

Originally recorded for Sonet in Norway in 1977 and then issued on Inner City vinyl in the U.S. But never on CD. LaVerne, Richmond, and Hart were Stan Getz's rhythm section at the time. You can tell they've been playing together. They are LOCKED IN. Before hearing this, I had a false impression that Richmond was competent but not especially forceful or memorable. This LP disabused me of that notion.

This same trio released Another World on SteepleChase under Andy LaVerne's leadership. Recorded around the same time, it's also outstanding.

On 1/25/2013 at 4:27 PM, felser said:

That Jackie McLean desecration caused Bob Rusch to explode into the greatest record review in the history of Cadence magazine. If my memory serves me correctly, the entire review was in bold capitol letters, and basically told the record industry to go ahead and ruin all the young players they want (I believe they named Azar Lawrence, who had just put out the horrid 'People Moving" sellout on Prestige), but that Jackie McLean was an institution, a national treasure, and they had no right to mess with him. Anyone else remember that review?

felser, I would LOVE to see the review that you mentioned here, referring to JackieMac's Monuments.  Anyone have access to it???

Edited by HutchFan

On 3/8/2018 at 0:21 PM, mikeweil said:

Has this Jack McDuff LP been mentioned? I always enjoyed it a lot and would love to have a CD as one of the LPs of my copy is warped at the beginning.

R-6116992-1411482475-3487.jpeg.jpg

p.s. just saw there was a Japanese CD in 2007 ...

On 7/6/2018 at 10:35 PM, JSngry said:

It was blogged at one point, it's good. Don Myrick and David Young!

So strange that this has never been reissued. It's one of McDuff's best ever, IMO.

Along with Myrick & Young, don't forget Frederick "Derf" Walker on congas! :) 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

If there was a Mosaic-type company that did Soul Jazz (or whatever you want to call it), there would be a good set to be made of Jack McDuff's & Shirley Scott's Cadet sides. It wouldn't be perfect by any stretch, but it sure would be good.

I'd be on that like white on rice. :tup 

21 hours ago, BFrank said:

Yes it is!

Someone (unfortunately I don't remember who) was nice enough to send me a needle-drop copy of it along with its companion, "Music From the Source".

Hi BFrank, It was I that sent you those copies. Still a dang shame that Cecil McBee's "Compassion" hasn't been released as a CD and that "Music From The Source" hasn't been reissued on CD. In addition, I'd love to see Cecil's "Flying Out' LP on India Navigation issued for the first time as a CD as well. I have that on LP and it's a good one.

Edited by JohnT

sonnymax -  I should have said/meant to say, as far as I know they (the 2 ST & GG's Visions) aren't on domestic BN CDs, I have the STs on Applause and I know Visions has been on CD in Japan, what are the other issues of this material?  Genuinely curious, not trying to be argumentative.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

• 8 months later...