emusic.com

Milestones

Can any current (or former user) shed some light on the bit rate used by emusic? I know at one time it was a measly 128kbs. I assume they have increased it to 256k or 320k, but I can't find any information on the site to know for sure. Some of their prices on Smoke/Sharp Nine/Criss Cross/MaxJazz have me thinking that some sort of limited subscription may still be worth it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any current (or former user) shed some light on the bit rate used by emusic? I know at one time it was a measly 128kbs. I assume they have increased it to 256k or 320k, but I can't find any information on the site to know for sure. Some of their prices on Smoke/Sharp Nine/Criss Cross/MaxJazz have me thinking that some sort of limited subscription may still be worth it.

ALA pretty much nailed it. I'm not sure I had any as low as 228 kbps, but their sample rate is normally right up there with iTunes.

• 2 years later...

Many of their regulars have been trying out the beta site since February
and I've been reading their 7 pages of opinions on a forum that has
broken off from it. It is coming along slowly but surely.

Edited by rostasi

4 hours ago, rostasi said:

Many of their regulars have been trying out the beta site since February
and I've been reading their 7 pages of opinions on a forum that has
broken off from it. It is coming along slowly but surely.

I'd be curious to read the forum.  Can you post the URL?

• 4 weeks later...

I actually have gotten the albums in my wish list to a small number, and I have planned to quit soon.  I noticed that the site is quite revamped and now you download as a zip file rather than through the download manager. 

What is very interesting is that it used to be (years and years ago) you could download multiple times, but they stopped that.  It seems to have come back now, so music I downloaded a long time ago is now available again.  I will do a search to see if anything was lost (due to losing an external hard drive) and download again. 

And then I'll quit.

There seem to be a lot of older SteepleChase recordings that have been added recently.  Yesterday was my first encounter with the new site.  The zip file download seemed problematic as my computer would freeze up trying to C&P all the songs out of the Zip drive to a regular music folder, so I was reduced to downloading song by song - individual files from whole albums - which was kind of cumbersome and time consuming.  I'll give 'em time to get things worked out.

The now have a mobile app that supposedly gives you access to all the music you've bought.  Not sure whether it has music you bought that they used to carry but no longer do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I see that they just lost the rights to carry Pi Recordings, which is a shame, as I had a few half downloaded albums that I can't finish up now.  Way, way back they lost Prestige/Riverside/etc.  I'm kind of losing interest at this point and think I'll cancel my subscription, though I'll take one last look to see about any Steeplechase and Black Lion (listed under 1201 Music) titles I am missing.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:21 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Have you considered streaming? Not sure if the titles you're referencing are available, but they could be. 

I can check for them on Apple Music if you'd like. 

I do stream from time to time, though I mostly use Hoopla.  It's only relatively recently that Spotify came to Canada.  It does appear that most Pi Recording albums are on Apple Music.  I will try the 3 month free trial and see how it goes, namely making sure that I'm not blocked from using the service.

• 2 months later...