emusic.com

Milestones

I haven't belonged for a few years now, but I do look at their listings.  Agreed that it's always been semi-amateurish and frustrating, and agreed that their quality listings continue to drop off.  I do still think about rejoining, because they do have some crucial labels.  Foremost is Steeplechase; I could probably go through a few years of membership just concentrating on that catalog.  Also enticing are Uptown (they don't carry the whole catalog, but do have a lot, albeit without their great booklets), Resonance (ditto), Chet Baker Estate, Motema, Smoke Sessions, and Fresh Sounds.  The latter is a special case, as they list every release at the same price, $6.99, which makes for crazy bargains for their multi-disc sets (such as Lucky Thompson Complete Parisian Small Group Sessions).  So I'm still looking, but for all I know they'll go out of business next week.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Steeplechase selections were surprising to find. Unfortunately, they screwed up the cataloging and a lot of them list the 'Artist' as "Various" for no reason at all. I contacted them and they acknowledged the problem, but couldn't tell me how long it would take to fix. So for now you have to search on "Label" and then Save for Later the albums you're interested in.

4 hours ago, BFrank said:

Whoa ... Inner City! That's YUUUUUUUUGE! :o

There are some interesting things on that label.  I have the Abbey Lincoln (with Archie Shepp), and am very curious about the Tommy Flanagan, Tal Farlow, Ted Curson, Lew Tabackin, Al Haig, and Roland Hanna, to name a few.

12 hours ago, mjzee said:

There are some interesting things on that label.  I have the Abbey Lincoln (with Archie Shepp), and am very curious about the Tommy Flanagan, Tal Farlow, Ted Curson, Lew Tabackin, Al Haig, and Roland Hanna, to name a few.

After looking through the list, I realized that a lot of stuff from the 70s is missing. I don't remember specifically what, but Ritchie Cole, Cecil McBee as well as more Eddie Jefferson and Archie Shepp albums.

Edited by BFrank

20 minutes ago, BFrank said:

After looking through the list, I realized that a lot of stuff from the 70s is missing. I don't remember specifically what, but Ritchie Cole, Cecil McBee as well as more Eddie Jefferson and Archie Shepp albums.

No doubt.  Two I don't see are Jeff Lorber (perhaps their biggest selling album) and Sun Ra Live at Montreux.  

A lot of the 70s Inner City stuff was licensed from other labels, Steeplechase, and what was the Japanese Label...East Wind.

The Lorber stuff has been reissued by Wounded Bird, right? So maybe he owns those now?

Inner City was part of Music Minus One, so, who knows?

Looks like the Ra thing was originally issued on Saturn?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

A lot of the 70s Inner City stuff was licensed from other labels, Steeplechase, and what was the Japanese Label...East Wind.

The Lorber stuff has been reissued by Wounded Bird, right? So maybe he owns those now?

Inner City was part of Music Minus One, so, who knows?

Looks like the Ra thing was originally issued on Saturn?

Their 1000 series were their own originals (but maybe the artists owned the masters).

Their 2000 series was, I think, Enja.

Their 3000 series was Steeplechase.

Their 6000 series was East Wind.

This produced some weird situations where an artist on their label might have different titles in different series.

They had a sister label, Classic Jazz, that released a lot of Black & Blue titles.

It's interesting to see the titles they're still offering.  The older recordings (Clifford Brown and such) are Vogue/Jazz In Paris recordings. Some are Herb Abramson (?) titles, like the Elmo Hope.  

Oh, one more they're not offering, but I'd like to see, is the Pony Poindexter. 

Prior discussion on Inner City: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/31336-inner-city-label/

That's right - I forgot that a lot of those titles were licensed from other labels. I'm sure that explains the eMusic selection.

But they DO have almost 600 Steeplechase albums! The problem is they F-d up the Artist labeling, and a bunch of them are listed as "Various Artists" when there's clearly a leader. So searching sux. I notified them and they acknowledged the problem, but couldn't tell me how long it would take to fix.

Edited by BFrank

The Jeff Hamilton Trio is a very nice group and the recording with Scott Hamilton is topnotch. Fans of Scott shouldn't hesitate on that one.

Had no idea Wilford Brimley ... sings? Hell I had no idea the dude was still alive. He does have a good group backing him.