Milestones

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lesser known names are very good too.

On the top line there's Mankunku - Winston 'Mankunku' Ngozi. Anything you find by him - Yakhal' incomo is very good - you'll probably find interesting.

Khaya Hayane Dlamini I don't know, but he looks pretty cool.

Bra Sello (on P5) is also very good.

Dennis Mpale is SAID to be very good, but I've got a K7 of his which makes the worst of Donald Byrd sound pretty damn good...

On p7

I like the Elite Swingsters a lot. Pretty old fashioned, however, so...

I've got 'Cool down' (2 long instrumentals) by Lulu Masilela and Thomas Phale and like it very much, but it's MUCH more Township Jive than modern jazz, so...

Zacks Nkosi (p8 & 10) was one of the great old masters of South African Jazz. I haven't got either one, but I've never heard anything I haven't liked by him.

Well, that's 10 pages looked at. Can you just buy this stuff or do you still have to be a subscriber?

MG

15 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Can you just buy this stuff or do you still have to be a subscriber?

Here's a page listing their plans: https://www.emusic.com/plans

20 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

On the top line there's Mankunku - Winston 'Mankunku' Ngozi. Anything you find by him - Yakhal' incomo is very good - you'll probably find interesting.

They have 3 albums by him, but none under Gallo; see: https://www.emusic.com/artist/rs_86678/Winston-Mankunku-Ngozi

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 11:07 AM, BFrank said:

I just realized there are quite a few MPS albums available: Don Ellis, Manglesdorff, Clark/Boland, Oscar Peterson, Geo Duke, etc

Some more MPS titles just appeared there; they're now up to 394.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what has changed at eMusic, or what it means.  They no longer carry SteepleChase, Uptown, Motema, Smoke Sessions, Fresh Sounds, Hat ART, Hatology, Storyville, MusicMasters, LRC/Groove Merchant, Venus, Progressive, Candid, Criss Cross, Capri, Clean Feed, Audiophile, Jazzology, Posi-Tone, HiFi, TCB, Firehouse 12, New World, Reservoir, Xanadu, Sharp Nine, Video Arts Music, Timeless.

23 hours ago, mjzee said:

Not sure what has changed at eMusic, or what it means.  They no longer carry SteepleChase, Uptown, Motema, Smoke Sessions, Fresh Sounds, Hat ART, Hatology, Storyville, MusicMasters, LRC/Groove Merchant, Venus, Progressive, Candid, Criss Cross, Capri, Clean Feed, Audiophile, Jazzology, Posi-Tone, HiFi, TCB, Firehouse 12, New World, Reservoir, Xanadu, Sharp Nine, Video Arts Music, Timeless.

Whoa - that sux! I had a lot of those albums on my "Wish List". There were some rock labels that disappeared recently, too.

• 1 year later...

Was incredibly annoyed to find that my account was suspended and they were supposed to notify me before restarting it, but they did not.  So I am a member again. :angry:

Took a look around and basically there are no labels of interest - Black Saint and Soul Note were dropped, as well as Hatology (as noted above).  I think ECM may have been on eMusic at one point, but definitely not now.  It looks like Rivebea is still there and ESP-Disk, but otherwise the rest of the jazz offerings are limited to pretty junky PD labels.  This time around I am going to quit and make it stick!

Yeah - the catalog has been decimated. I contacted them about that and threatened to cancel. They admitted the "problem" but said they hoped to have a better selection by the end of the year. Since my subscription ends then, they extended it by 3 months.

If things don't dramatically change, I'll probably cancel anyway. It's pretty worthless right now.