Heavenly Sweetness

.:.impossible

I have two of their reissues. I picked up the LPs when they were on sale and I can't really complain about the sound, I wouldn't be surprised if minty originals were better, but these were under $20 each. The vinyl is quiet and pressed on center.

Edited by Deepak

I have two of their reissues. I picked up the LPs when they were on sale and I can't really complain about the sound, I wouldn't be surprised if minty originals were better, but these were under $20 each. The vinyl is quiet and pressed on center.

Under $20? Where? I'd buy several of these if they were under $20. Most places have them for $27-35 plus shipping. At these prices, I'll stick to the CDs.

Under $20? Where? I'd buy several of these if they were under $20. Most places have them for $27-35 plus shipping. At these prices, I'll stick to the CDs.

A few titles were on sale at Soundstage Direct a while ago.

Edited by Deepak

Which two? Great price Deepak.

I picked up Breaking Point and Stick-Up. If you search for Heavenly Sweetness on their site a few of them are on sale though they were a bit cheaper when I bought them. I was hoping to get Contours and A New Conception.

I recommend this label. They did a great job reissuing some of the more unusual/adventurous Blue Note/Pacific Jazz titles. My only quibble is the reissue of Curtis Amy's Katanga!—it sounds great, but the cover is a really bad scan job. Other covers in the series look fine, however.

From http://robertmusic.blogspot.ca/2011/02/heavenly-sweetness-blue-note-vinyl-sam.html?q=heavenly+sweetness :

"Heavenly Sweetness Blue Note LP's are analog sourced. Now...today, analog sourced does not necessarily mean all the way through to the cutting head - there is often a last digital step there. And...being analog sourced does not necessarily mean that the lacquers were cut ditectly from the analog tape, often, a 24 bit copy of the analog master is sent for vinyl mastering - we live in the FLAC age, after all. Older guys on Hoffman get very hung up over this, but it's their loss..."

Where have you read of their source?

Sorry to take so long. I've been away from the board. I emailed the label and the owner told me the sources were digital copies. I think he said the digital copies were from the master tapes but I can't be sompletely sure of that. If that makes a big difference to you, you might want to email him yourself. He was very straight forward with me. No fuzzy labeling at all so I'm sure you'd get a definitive answer. I wish I could be more certain for you but my brain has memory lapses these days. What I am certain of though is that they aren't from the masters. However the two albums I have sound very good so I have no issues with the label. I was very complimentary about his label and he was very nice about answering the questions I had.

Duh! I should have read the above post before I answered. Oh well. Looks like you got your answer.

Edited by six string

• 2 weeks later...

Mosaic might have digital steps in the lineage, too? I think I read this at least on some early Mosaic vinyl releases (not sure what early means though and if the Rivers might be one of them).

I just snatched up the John Betsch LP very cheaply when it was on sale quickly @ amazon.fr but haven't played it yet. Vinyl is pretty heavy, cover flimsy and somewhat battered (maybe that's why it was on sale, I won't complain anyway) and made of rather thin cardboard, but I've seen that with other releases (the reissue of Noah Howard's "The Black Ark" on Bo'Weavil must be the worst, the cover feels only marginally thicker than toilet paper ... but the music obviously ain't for the crapper!).

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken my first punt on these reissues with this one

8918571.jpg

I'm intrigued

Did you get it yet? How does it sound?

I've seen mixed reviews on this series, i.e. some titles are said to sound very good, others not so much. I only have the Blue Mitchell which sounds good to me. Thinking of checking out this McLean and perhaps an Andrew Hill title or two.

Yes i have. I'm no audiophile and appreciate the release mostly to hear the session. It sounded fine. However what was interesting was that immediately after playing it I played a Liberty blue/black of Moncur's 'Some Other stuff' and it was noticeably louder and punchier with a deeper, well-rounded sound than the Heavenly Sweetness.

Just taken my first punt on these reissues with this one

8918571.jpg

I'm intrigued

Did you get it yet? How does it sound?

I've seen mixed reviews on this series, i.e. some titles are said to sound very good, others not so much. I only have the Blue Mitchell which sounds good to me. Thinking of checking out this McLean and perhaps an Andrew Hill title or two.