Small group jazz with tuba?

bogdan101

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the tuba is not really among the first five instruments I think about when picking up a band for a gig and wouldn´t be in further time, but I think I had heard some tuba in some Mingus workshops, maybe on the TownHall concert or another larger band , maybe "Let´s my Children hear music"......I think there was some tuba also on "Black Saint and Sinner Lady". 

A few that come to mind are Wadada Leo Smith's "Golden Hearts Remembrance" which features some beautiful tuba playing in a sort of comping role courtesy of William Roper, Joe Daley's "The Tuba Trio Chronicles," and Bill Cole's albums with The Untempered Ensemble usually feature Joe Daley on tuba or some other low brass as well. My favorite of the Bill Cole albums I've heard are Greenfield Massachusetts 1999, Proverbs for Sam, and Music for Yoruba Proverbs, beautiful free jazz with very prominent use of non-western instrumentation and interplay that resembles Sam Rivers' 70s small group work.

On 12/8/2022 at 2:24 AM, Д.Д. said:

Yes, and European Tuba Quartet releases too: https://www.discogs.com/artist/2014401-European-Tuba-Quartet

On 12/8/2022 at 10:22 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Do you like these? I always thought they were a bit of a missed opportunity.

The only thing about them I remember is that I enjoyed them a lot. Will need to relisten to refresh my memory.