MLB 2013 Season

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Way to go A's, sweeping the Tigers...you guys were supposed to lose at least one of those...grrrrrrrrr.....

Oakland not going away, not at all...didn't I see this movie last year?

Oh great - it's a four game series with a day game today, and it looks like it will be a four game sweep instead of a three.

Thanks for being on such a roll, Tigers.

Last Sunday's paper reported that the Tigers' Max Scherzer joined Rube Marquard in 1912 and Roger Clemons in 2001 as the only pitchers to win 19 of their first 20 decisions in a season.

My first thought was that Elroy Face also did it in 1959, but Wikipedia says that Face was 18-1 that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Face

Last Sunday's paper reported that the Tigers' Max Scherzer joined Rube Marquard in 1912 and Roger Clemons in 2001 as the only pitchers to win 19 of their first 20 decisions in a season.

My first thought was that Elroy Face also did it in 1959, but Wikipedia says that Face was 18-1 that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Face

So two pitchers did it clean! :)

And Pittsburgh has ended the streak of sub-.500 seasons and may even win the division. With their history of futility I gotta be rooting for them in October if they make it.

And thanks to the Rays recent struggles the Sox have an excellent chance to go worst-to-first which would be pretty darn impressive. Now they just need to avoid losing streaks of any length and they can run out the clock. I'm still not sure they are well situated to compete against the A's/Rangers/Tigers but whatever happens in October is gravy after coming in last in 2012.

And I gotta take note of how the schedule may help the Yankees slip into the playoffs. They are 2.5 behind the Rays right now, and they finish the season with three at the appalling Blue Jays, three hosting the appalling defending champions, three hosting the Rays, and three at the worst of the worst, the Astros. The Rays? They finish with Texas, Baltimore, the Yanks and Blue Jays. Three potential playoff teams. Yanks couldn't ask for a better schedule.

And Pittsburgh has ended the streak of sub-.500 seasons and may even win the division. With their history of futility I gotta be rooting for them in October if they make it.

Tim Kurkjian mentioned the fact yesterday that Pirates last had a winning season in 1992. In 1992, Derek Jeter was in Rookie ball. Andrew McCutchen was 6 years old, and Bryce Harper wasn't even born(well, turns out he was, but after the 1992 seaon ended). Also the Yankees have had 22 losing seasons in their 111 year history....

Edited by BERIGAN

Painful weekend for Yank fans, starting Thursday with an epic comeback, then pffft! Blown in the 9th, lose in the 10th, then Friday, up 8-3 late, then pffft! Bullpen implosion. Today was a just a good old-fashioned butt-kicking. Bosox lookin' very strong, I hope they sent a thank you card to the Dodgers for this season:)

Painful weekend for Yank fans, starting Thursday with an epic comeback, then pffft! Blown in the 9th, lose in the 10th, then Friday, up 8-3 late, then pffft! Bullpen implosion. Today was a just a good old-fashioned butt-kicking. Bosox lookin' very strong, I hope they sent a thank you card to the Dodgers for this season:)

Unless your theory is purely addition by subtraction, I think that's premature. There's plenty of time for thank you cards in the coming season(s) when the prospects they picked up actually contribute. Credit should go to Cherrington for some pretty shrewd use (to date) of the salary that was freed up though.

Meantime with Ellsbury in a walking boot and possibly out with a broken foot, I do worry that this is their high water mark. I guess the Jackie Bradley era starts early in Boston. Come to think of it, a young, highly touted centerfielder was called up at the end of the 2007 season, became a starter and helped bring a championship home, so maybe Bradley can do the same.

Unless your theory is purely addition by subtraction, I think that's premature. There's plenty of time for thank you cards in the coming season(s) when the prospects they picked up actually contribute. Credit should go to Cherrington for some pretty shrewd use (to date) of the salary that was freed up though.

Meantime with Ellsbury in a walking boot and possibly out with a broken foot, I do worry that this is their high water mark. I guess the Jackie Bradley era starts early in Boston. Come to think of it, a young, highly touted centerfielder was called up at the end of the 2007 season, became a starter and helped bring a championship home, so maybe Bradley can do the same.

The Dodgers did take a lot of $$ off the Bosox payroll, and Boston did get rid of Crawford & Beckett, a definite addition by subtraction both in payroll and performance.