MLB 2013 Season

WTF happens if Cleveland Tampa and Texas are tied after tomorrow?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/playoff-tiebreaker-rules?ymd=20130904&content_id=59527184&vkey=news_mlb

Three teams remained in the hunt for the two American League Wild Card berths heading into the final weekend of the season. On Friday, Major League Baseball revealed what will occur should all three finish in a tie, which would require two tiebreaker games -- one on Monday and one on Tuesday -- ahead of Wednesday's AL Wild Card Game.

The bottom line is this: The Indians would host the Rays on Monday, with the winner earning one of the berths. The loser would play at Texas on Tuesday for the final spot.

That schedule is the result of the Indians having the best combined record (7-5) against the Rays and Rangers and therefore having the right to choose to host the first game. The Rays' combined record is second (7-6) and they chose to go on the road on Monday rather than host a game on Tuesday. The Rangers (5-8) were left with only that option.

Which is...nuts. The teams with the two best "combined records" are looking at playing two games, at least one on the road, while the team with the worst gets a day off and plays their game at home.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But you're missing the fact that the Rays and the Indians get two chances to win one and be in the post-season, while the Rangers would only get one chance. I didn't realize why the Rangers would be in that position, but my assumption was that getting the second game at home was consolation for the fact that they only get one chance to win and move on.

I'm probably over thinking it but my preference is for that three-games-in-three days scenario, each of which would be treated like an elimination game for giving starters the hook and using everybody out of the bullpen ... then the 'winner' can come to Fenway on Friday, take their whoopin' like men.

Edited by Dan Gould

Well, if you want to look at it as two chances to win one instead of having to win two to advance instead of having to win just one, then ok, it's a privilege.

But then the Wild Card teams in the NFL playoff system get the "privilege" of not getting a bye week.

Truthfully, I think that Wild Cards in general are at best a mathematical "necessity" to accommodate a three division set-up. But having two WC teams is just...gimmickry whoredom, not like that's frowned upon these days in anything. But still...

If the records going into tomorrow were even just a little different, I'd be quite ok with the Rangers finishing what would have been second in the WC race and not getting in because there was only one WC spot. Quite ok with it.

Rewarding second-best as if it was THE Best is slippery slope enough. But rewarding third-best the same way?

Not a fan of that, not at all.

If not Rangers, then Tribe. And if it takes some goofyass Rays vs Rangers to see who's got the 5th best record to see who will play the team that already has the fourth best record to see who will enter into competition with the teams that already have the three best records, I'm mighty tempted to say go Tribe no matter what.

Massive over-pay.

... this is probably the high point for Pence, and he’s still a borderline All-Star. Pence has never finished in the top 10 of his league in on-base percentage, slugging or OPS. His only top 10 in average came in 2011. His 26 homers this year are a career high. He’s reached 100 RBI once, accomplishing that last year. He’s never scored 100 runs.

Among active outfielders with 1,000 career plate appearances, Pence ranks 28th with an .814 OPS. Fellow free agents-to-be Shin-Soo Choo, Carlos Beltran, Curtis Granderson, Nelson Cruz and Corey Hart all have higher marks.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/28/giants-overcommit-to-hunter-pence/

If Pence is going to be your main bat, your pitching better be extraordinary.

Otherwise, you've put your hopes into a solid but far from anything remotely resembling a 'special' player.

Edit to add: Who'll also be on the wrong side of 30 for the entire length of his contract.

Edited by Dan Gould

David Price faces the Rangers & finally pitches like David Price (and then some). Death with dignity.

Although, really, is this two Wild Card teams thing necessary? World gone wrong, that is. Tacos at Burger King are more necessary than two Wild Card teams.

Glad it's over.

And oh yeah, one last time - FUCK YOU Lance Berkman. Now And Forever More.

AJ Purrrrzynski would get some too for his free-swinging indifferent-yet-exceptionally-attitudinal ass, but Lance Berkman trumps all for Rot In Hell, Bitch-dom.

Matt Garza as well, because no, everybody doesn't love a clown.

And to Jon Daniels - ok, you get a pass on this one, because everybody fucks up, and the young guys slowly but surely grew this year. But don't ever do something(s) like that ever again. Ever.

But if there is any justice (and even if there isn't), Lance Berkman...eat shit and die (as the feisty people say), Lance Berkman. In what order, I really don't care, as long as both happen before it's over and done. Preferably in my lifetime, but I'm not gonna be all that particular about that.

I'm a little annoyed with the Cleveland media. They act like the Tribe is going to waltz right into Boston. They've won 10 straight. Not to curse anything but streaks always come to an end. At best this "one and done" game against Tampa is up for grabs. Go Tribe!

Beautiful moment when Joe Girardi sent Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte out to remove Mo Rivera from his final game:

http://wapc.mlb.com/nyy/play/?content_id=30965689&topic_id=vtp_best_moments&game_pk=undefined

Three future Hall of Famers right there, and three of the best who ever put on a Yankee uniform. Thanks, guys... 18 years went by all too quickly.

Detroit and Oakland will have been idle from Sunday to Friday. If I were them, I would protest this disadvantage to their rhythm. MLB could have scheduled them for Thursday, could have scheduled two wild card games yesterday. It's a cynical TV ratings move.

ETA: Also Boston

Edited by Neal Pomea

Get it while you can: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9759942/vin-scully-los-angeles-dodgers-broadcaster-air-return-2014

I no longer care for the Dodgers, have not for some time, actually, but I will listen to Vin Scully call a game, especially on radio. The MLB At Bat app is good for that, and if you watch MLB TV, they drop in often enough.

Not that there aren't/haven't been others. But there will never be another.

n its own way, it's like catching Sinatra live, or Miles live - unless you have ready opportunity to take advantage, you hope to be able to experience it at least once in your lifetime, so do it when you can do it, because if you don't, you never will. And then, too late and oh well.

Don't be too late and oh well.

I've settled on who to root for in the playoffs: the visitors! So far the Pittsburgh and Cleveland fans have been so off putting, and I imagine all the rest of the home crowds will be too. Maybe I will watch LA and Atlanta without the sound. Nothing against the Indians but I was so glad that Tampa took the crowd out of last night's game. When the crowd is so loud that the home plate umpire cannot hear when a pitched ball hits the ground, that is a problem. Sound calls on runners at the bases suffer too.

Edited by Neal Pomea

I've settled on who to root for in the playoffs: the visitors! So far the Pittsburgh and Cleveland fans have been so off putting, and I imagine all the rest of the home crowds will be too. Maybe I will watch LA and Atlanta without the sound. Nothing against the Indians but I was so glad that Tampa took the crowd out of last night's game. When the crowd is so loud that the home plate umpire cannot hear when a pitched ball hits the ground, that is a problem. Sound calls on runners at the bases suffer too.

Of course baseball isn't and shouldn't be like golf when it comes to fan participation. As a Tribe fan it was refreshing and, unfortunately, unusual to have that kind of attendance and enthusiasm. But, as expected for the Cleveland sports fan, it ends with disappointment.