MLB 2013 Season

[Off topic, but: Golf should not allow fan participation. It ruins the game and unfairly scrutinizes the star players.]

I agree with Neal. This lay-off nonsense is just a rating booster and hurts the teams involved. A's have been red hot and a long lay-off will definitely affect their play on the field, IMHO.

I, too, will watch the game with the sound off; that "chop" garbage is as annoying as hell.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, sorry Cleveland fans. :( I HATE this one game WC game. might as well make it a best of 3 thing. I know, they are waiting too long to get series going as it is. But one game. It clearly does give teams hope that would not normally...and I want towns like Cleveland, Pittsburg, , KC to be excited and have something to look forward to in Sept. But one game...

Well, the Braves have a really uphill battle trying to best the Dodgers. Clayton Kershaw is the best starter in baseball. So, unless someone gets lucky and pops a homer off him early, it's likely going to be that the braves have to win 3 of 4 to advance, and that's asking a lot. Puig has more than a little Manny in him, so I expect him to have a huge series unless the braves pitchers bounce every pitch.

Dan Uggla is off the roster, which kinda sucks cuz he busts his butt out there. He walks a ton, but just can't hit. Hopefully it's wrapped up in his eyes and next year the lasik will have made more of a difference....

meanwhile, the highest paid Braves...ever made the post season roster...and can you blame the braves for wanting such a talent out there?

Jayson Stark explains how very bad BJ has been….

“It would make perfect baseball sense if B.J. Upton goes out there this October and hits like .700, with 12 homers, 18 steals and 25 Web Gems — because one of these days, or weeks, or centuries, a guy with this much talent has to do something productive. Right? But so far? Wow. One season into a five-year, $75.25 million contract, all the highest-paid player in Braves history has done is put himself in contention to become the biggest free-agent debacle of all time.

I don’t use words like “debacle” lightly, either. But boy, do they apply to a fellow who has (got the Advil handy?) … a .184 batting average, the second-lowest average in the entire sport among players with at least 400 plate appearances (beating out only his own teammate, that .181-hitting Dan Uggla) … a .289 slugging percentage, a lower percentage than — no kidding — Juan Pierre, Adeiny Hechavarria and Ben (Still Homerless in my 1,304-AB Career) Revere … gone 0 for the entire season (0-for-28, 18 strikeouts) with runners on third base … hit .157/.227/.222 against left-handed pitching … a mind-boggling .108 batting average (10-for-93, with 42 strikeouts) with runners in scoring position … gone an even more mind-boggling 4-for-54 (.074), with 27 strikeouts and no homers, with two outs and runners in scoring position … and has hit .106 so far in September, including 1 for his last 36, with 19 whiffs.”

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9727380/end-season-mlb-awards-honoring-very-best-worst

It should be nice and quiet in Tampa during the playoffs...perhaps they will give away free tickets and will come close to filling the stadium

So, with James Loney hitting .299 for the Rays, and BJ Upton hitting in the .180s for the braves, can we finally agree that the NL is clearly the better league? :g

Nice season for the Tribe. Definitely overachieved. Didn't get quite as much as hoped for from overpaid FAs Swisher and Bourn. Nice to see Ubaldo finally regain form (...just in time for free agency...). Kipnis and Salazar give reasons to smile. Nice bench contributions from Aviles, Gomes, and esp Raburn. Santana and Brantley really turning into solid ballplayers. What is Casey Blake up to these days?

Kind of ridiculous to be complaining that hometown fans are too loud, in an outdoor park in October! Is the complaint that the PA routine has too much canned music/chop etc? Would you honestly feel the same way at Nats Park if they had actually lived up to predictions/hype?

Random thoughts...

I would hate for my team to be in a 1 game playoff but it sure is fun watching them when your team isn't playing.

If it's too loud then you're too old.

Giants overpaid for Pence. But if he had gone to the FA market some idiot like Ruben Amaro, Jr. would have paid him even more.

Wow did A-Rod just raise the stakes.

And I read earlier this week that his arbitration defense is "I never knew they were illegal substances". :rolleyes:

Interesting that he files suit a week into the arbitration process - is this an indication that they know its not going well, so they need to go pursue monetary damages through the courts?

Random thoughts...

I would hate for my team to be in a 1 game playoff but it sure is fun watching them when your team isn't playing.

If it's too loud then you're too old.

Giants overpaid for Pence. But if he had gone to the FA market some idiot like Ruben Amaro, Jr. would have paid him even more.

I agree; $90 million is a bit pricey.

However, if he keeps playing the way he has the past two years and it gets the Giants back into the playoff/WS, it will be more than worth it, IMHO.

I've settled on who to root for in the playoffs: the visitors! So far the Pittsburgh and Cleveland fans have been so off putting, and I imagine all the rest of the home crowds will be too. Maybe I will watch LA and Atlanta without the sound. Nothing against the Indians but I was so glad that Tampa took the crowd out of last night's game. When the crowd is so loud that the home plate umpire cannot hear when a pitched ball hits the ground, that is a problem. Sound calls on runners at the bases suffer too.

Not sure what the Cleveland fans did to irritate you.... but I want to relate a little story.

A few years back while in Cleveland I decided to go to Progressive Field and watch them take on the Yankees. About a half hour before game time about 20 buses rolled up outside the stadium and those buses disgorged probably a couple thousand Yankees fans.

There were so many Yankee fans in Cleveland for that game that when the Indians scored or had a good defensive play the boos were louder than the cheers. THe loudest cheers at Progressive that day were when the Yankees scored.... talk about obnoxius fans... you had to wonder which effin' city you were watching the game in.

I've settled on who to root for in the playoffs: the visitors! So far the Pittsburgh and Cleveland fans have been so off putting, and I imagine all the rest of the home crowds will be too. Maybe I will watch LA and Atlanta without the sound. Nothing against the Indians but I was so glad that Tampa took the crowd out of last night's game. When the crowd is so loud that the home plate umpire cannot hear when a pitched ball hits the ground, that is a problem. Sound calls on runners at the bases suffer too.

Not sure what the Cleveland fans did to irritate you.... but I want to relate a little story.

A few years back while in Cleveland I decided to go to Progressive Field and watch them take on the Yankees. About a half hour before game time about 20 buses rolled up outside the stadium and those buses disgorged probably a couple thousand Yankees fans.

There were so many Yankee fans in Cleveland for that game that when the Indians scored or had a good defensive play the boos were louder than the cheers. THe loudest cheers at Progressive that day were when the Yankees scored.... talk about obnoxius fans... you had to wonder which effin' city you were watching the game in.

Yeah, this was happening in Washington too. Phillies fans were descending on Nationals Park. It was promoted by the Nationals' front office as a way to sell a lot of tickets, and it turned off home fans so much it's been discontinued in the last few years.

It Cleveland the other night It was impossible for umpires down on the field to make bang-bang calls that rely on sound. It was not rudeness by the fans. I think they have good fans. And yes, I would complain if Nationals fans interrupted the game to such a degree with their noise. Nothing ridiculous about that at all.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Mr. April is in full lawsuit mode. Now he's suing the Yankees' team Dr. and New York-Presbyterian Hospital....how long before he tries to sue his own Union?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/sports/baseball/a-frustrated-rodriguez-turns-on-the-players-union.html

Interestingly, he's still hasn't sued the Yankees.

Edited by Blue Train

"Can't hit" Braves bullpen not exactly holding it close tonight against Los A. (10-4 in 4th inning). Still think they will take 3 out of 5, in this series.

With Freddie Garcia on the mound in Game 4 and facing Kershaw if they make it to a Game 5? Braves are in deep trouble.

Liking the character of the A's last night & the Pirates today. My kind of baseball! That would make for a good Series, although a ratings disaster, probably.

That would be a fun WS to watch.

I figure it wouldn't be any worse ratings-wise than a Cincy vs BoSox WS or an A's vs Pirates deal.

Now that's the Koji we came to know & love in Texas!

Tampa Bay don't stand a chance going forth, and Joe Maddon is getting into Mike Sciosa territory with that Look That Makes Me Want To Smack Him Some Kind Of Silly (as does Fernando Rodney's cap angle), but that was a fine game of good clean watching everybody you don't like have to suffer, if only for one night. Napoli's visibly frustrated having to make the out at first and let the tying run score was just collateral damage. We still love the Naps here (as we do the PADMY in LA). But the world is not perfect.

The Official World Series Narrative is likely to be Dodgers vs Red Sox - ONE YEAR LATER: WHO GOT THE BEST OF THE TRADE?!?!?!?!?!?! but I'm still hoping against reality for a Pirates/A's showdown. Where's the "narrative" there? Not one? Perfect!

Oakland had their chances.

But home field or not, my money is on those scrappy A's.

Tampa Bay don't stand a chance going forth, and Joe Maddon is getting into Mike Sciosa territory with that Look That Makes Me Want To Smack Him Some Kind Of Silly (as does Fernando Rodney's cap angle), but that was a fine game of good clean watching everybody you don't like have to suffer, if only for one night. Napoli's visibly frustrated having to make the out at first and let the tying run score was just collateral damage. We still love the Naps here (as we do the PADMY in LA). But the world is not perfect.

The Official World Series Narrative is likely to be Dodgers vs Red Sox - ONE YEAR LATER: WHO GOT THE BEST OF THE TRADE?!?!?!?!?!?! but I'm still hoping against reality for a Pirates/A's showdown. Where's the "narrative" there? Not one? Perfect!

Bite your tongue.

If the [hated] Dodgers get to the WS it will be a sad page in the history of the MLB. Buying your way in is NOT what baseball is supposed to be about.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Oakland had their chances.

But home field or not, my money is on those scrappy A's.

Bite your tongue.

If the [hated] Dodgers get to the WS it will be a sad page in the history of the MLB. Buying your way in is NOT what baseball is supposed to be about.

I don't know why you like to pretend the Giants didn't buy their two....like the Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, etc....even the Diamondbacks bought theirs. The Giants only had any chance of winning once they started spending. Now, they're headed back to that land being relevant every so often unless they keep spending. They, like the Dodgers already have the advantage of being in the weakest division in the MLB....but only gets them so far.

It's like the Niners didn't buy all those Super Bowls while DeBartolo, Jr. was throwing around all that DeBartolo Corporation money before the hard cap in 1994/1995 season, which was the last Super Bowl game for them until last year.

As in, glass houses and all.

Edited by Blue Train

Didn't take long for the Yankees to resign Girardi to another 4-years. Now, it's Cano coming to reality after "testing the market". The Dodgers already made it clear they're not interested. Considering his age and he's a 2nd baseman and the history of the position....5-6-years really is the most, but the Yankees will probably give him 7-8-years like Pedroia, which I think the Red Sox & Yankees will end up regretting.

Of course, Cano might end up playing 3rd if Mr. April is suspended and they don't trade for anyone.

Edited by Blue Train

Didn't take long for the Yankees to resign Girardi to another 4-years. Now, it's Cano coming to reality after "testing the market". The Dodgers already made it clear they're not interested. Considering his age and he's a 2nd baseman and the history of the position....5-6-years really is the most, but the Yankees will probably give him 7-8-years like Pedroia, which I think the Red Sox & Yankees will end up regretting.

Of course, Cano might end up playing 3rd if Mr. April is suspended and they don't trade for anyone.

I think Nunez at third, despite his penchant for costly errors. $189mil or less!

I think Nunez at third, despite his penchant for costly errors. $189mil or less!

I think Cano @ 3rd helps his career in the long run more than staying @ 2nd. Another possibility is resigning Ryan and moving him to 3rd. Perfect world, Cleveland go to hell (sorry to their fans, but it's Cleveland.) early next year and they trade for Jason Kipnis. I don't see that happening.

Honestly, I see next year as rebuilding/positioning for the future. Granderson is probably gone, Rivera, Pettitte, who knows about Jeter, Mr. April (lawsuit, or not....no way to get around the CBA if the arbitrator rules against him. It would be a precedent setting case.)...then there is Teixeira will be 34 next April.

Edited by Blue Train