MLB 2013 Season

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The original Harper's Magazine story of "Pafko At The Wall" that would become the prologue for DeLillo's must read...Underworld. If you haven't read this....you really should.

DeLillo originally wrote it in 1992. I will be honest....I know about that game/HR from family members that to this day you don't want to get them started on it....but the only reason I knew Pafko was because of the amazing prologue of Underworld.

Be well....

http://dumpendebat.net/static-content/delillo/DeLillo-Pafko_At_The_Wall-Oct1992.pdf

Edited by Blue Train

Oakland had their chances.

But home field or not, my money is on those scrappy A's.

Now that's the Koji we came to know & love in Texas!

Tampa Bay don't stand a chance going forth, and Joe Maddon is getting into Mike Sciosa territory with that Look That Makes Me Want To Smack Him Some Kind Of Silly (as does Fernando Rodney's cap angle), but that was a fine game of good clean watching everybody you don't like have to suffer, if only for one night. Napoli's visibly frustrated having to make the out at first and let the tying run score was just collateral damage. We still love the Naps here (as we do the PADMY in LA). But the world is not perfect.

The Official World Series Narrative is likely to be Dodgers vs Red Sox - ONE YEAR LATER: WHO GOT THE BEST OF THE TRADE?!?!?!?!?!?! but I'm still hoping against reality for a Pirates/A's showdown. Where's the "narrative" there? Not one? Perfect!

Bite your tongue.

If the [hated] Dodgers get to the WS it will be a sad page in the history of the MLB. Buying your way in is NOT what baseball is supposed to be about.

I don't know why you like to pretend the Giants didn't buy their two....like the Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, etc....even the Diamondbacks bought theirs. The Giants only had any chance of winning once they started spending. Now, they're headed back to that land being relevant every so often unless they keep spending. They, like the Dodgers already have the advantage of being in the weakest division in the MLB....but only gets them so far.

It's like the Niners didn't buy all those Super Bowls while DeBartolo, Jr. was throwing around all that DeBartolo Corporation money before the hard cap in 1994/1995 season, which was the last Super Bowl game for them until last year.

As in, glass houses and all.

The Phillies didn't buy their 2008 WS win. They won with home grown talent and a few low priced FA's. The only notable acquisition they made during the 2008 season was a trade w/ the A's for future Hall of Famer Joe Blanton which added about $1.8M to their payroll that year. In 2008 their team payroll was $98M which put them 13th highest. They didn't go crazy w/r/t spending until after they won. Now if you want to say they tried to buy a championship in 2010-13 you would get no argument from me.

Perfect world, Cleveland go to hell (sorry to their fans, but it's Cleveland.) early next year and they trade for Jason Kipnis. I don't see that happening.

It's fine for Yankee fans to desire young talent from smaller market teams. Join us in celebrating the great potential Kipnis displays! Given that he is nowhere near free agency, don't believe NYY obtains JK without giving up major assets (that display significantly higher upside than Kipnis). It doesn't matter if the Tribe loses 100 games next year. In fact, at this point I'd say JK is pretty close to untouchable. Arguably the most talented (and most popular) position player on the team. [...the Grady Sizemore posters have all been sent to recycling at this point.]

The talented Indian infielder that can be had via trade right now is Asdrubal Cabrera. Much like Shin-Soo Choo this past season, he is in the last year of his current deal and motivated. Everyone seems to think Cincy made a great trade for Choo. I think Tribe got back decent assets for a one year rental.

Perfect world, Cleveland go to hell (sorry to their fans, but it's Cleveland.) early next year and they trade for Jason Kipnis. I don't see that happening.

It's fine for Yankee fans to desire young talent from smaller market teams. Join us in celebrating the great potential Kipnis displays! Given that he is nowhere near free agency, don't believe NYY obtains JK without giving up major assets (that display significantly higher upside than Kipnis). It doesn't matter if the Tribe loses 100 games next year. In fact, at this point I'd say JK is pretty close to untouchable. Arguably the most talented (and most popular) position player on the team. [...the Grady Sizemore posters have all been sent to recycling at this point.]

The talented Indian infielder that can be had via trade right now is Asdrubal Cabrera. Much like Shin-Soo Choo this past season, he is in the last year of his current deal and motivated. Everyone seems to think Cincy made a great trade for Choo. I think Tribe got back decent assets for a one year rental.

I made sure to add in that I didn't think it wouldn't happen. ;)

Edited by Blue Train

Tampa Bay don't stand a chance going forth, and Joe Maddon is getting into Mike Sciosa territory with that Look That Makes Me Want To Smack Him Some Kind Of Silly (as does Fernando Rodney's cap angle), but that was a fine game of good clean watching everybody you don't like have to suffer, if only for one night. Napoli's visibly frustrated having to make the out at first and let the tying run score was just collateral damage. We still love the Naps here (as we do the PADMY in LA). But the world is not perfect.

The Official World Series Narrative is likely to be Dodgers vs Red Sox - ONE YEAR LATER: WHO GOT THE BEST OF THE TRADE?!?!?!?!?!?! but I'm still hoping against reality for a Pirates/A's showdown. Where's the "narrative" there? Not one? Perfect!

Bite your tongue.

If the [hated] Dodgers get to the WS it will be a sad page in the history of the MLB. Buying your way in is NOT what baseball is supposed to be about.

I don't know why you like to pretend the Giants didn't buy their two....like the Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, etc....even the Diamondbacks bought theirs. The Giants only had any chance of winning once they started spending. Now, they're headed back to that land being relevant every so often unless they keep spending. They, like the Dodgers already have the advantage of being in the weakest division in the MLB....but only gets them so far.

It's like the Niners didn't buy all those Super Bowls while DeBartolo, Jr. was throwing around all that DeBartolo Corporation money before the hard cap in 1994/1995 season, which was the last Super Bowl game for them until last year.

The Phillies didn't buy their 2008 WS win. They won with home grown talent and a few low priced FA's. The only notable acquisition they made during the 2008 season was a trade w/ the A's for future Hall of Famer Joe Blanton which added about $1.8M to their payroll that year. In 2008 their team payroll was $98M which put them 13th highest. They didn't go crazy w/r/t spending until after they won. Now if you want to say they tried to buy a championship in 2010-13 you would get no argument from me.

So did the Giants.

Those big contracts [excepting that Zito mistake] were awarded to players already on the team and who came up through Triple-A ball in Fresno. They were Cain, Lincecum, Posey, Bumgarner, Crawford, Sandoval and Belt. Pagan, Scuturo and a handful of others came in trades or their contracts were purchased by the Giants.

Hunter Pence was the only additional player the Giants got in a 2012 trade with Philly. That's legit baseball. The Dodgers are just dumping suitcases full of money on guys never associated with the team ala New York Yankees.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Bite your tongue.

So did the Giants.

Those big contracts [excepting that Zito mistake] were awarded to players already on the team and who came up through Triple-A ball in Fresno. They were Cain, Lincecum, Posey, Bumgarner, Crawford, Sandoval and Belt. Pagan, Scuturo and a handful of others came in trades or their contracts were purchased by the Giants.

Hunter Pence was the only additional player the Giants got in a 2012 trade with Philly. That's legit baseball. The Dodgers are just dumping suitcases full of money on guys never associated with the team ala New York Yankees.

Alzheimer's by homers is always amazing. Forgetting Barroid and all the rest just

2008 through 2012. Amazing just how many free agents throughout it all beside Zito.

1. 2008 $75.8 4th place. No free agents on this team. ;)

2. 2009 $82.56 million. Won 16 more games but still finished 3rd in the minor division. Just to name one of a the many of a free agents galore lineup....as in, I completely forgot about Randy Johnson who everyone knows like all the other free agents started out in SF's farm system. They were not trying to buy anything by signing Randy Johnson for $8 million. :w

3. 2010 $97 million and first WS in San Francisco. No former free agents signed for big money involved beside Zito. :rofl:

4. 2011 $118 million and they drop to 2nd in the minor league. Still all no major money for free agents beside Zito is the story, I guess. :crazy:

5. 2012 $131 million and 2nd WS in San Francisco. They even had a free agent who was an All-Star that year who was having his best year as a player....but unlike Barroid....he was officially suspended for steroids. How far would they even gotten without Melky "SF Farm system" Cabrera?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2008&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2009&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2010&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2011&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2012&team=SFN&pos=

Edited by Blue Train

Bite your tongue.

So did the Giants.

Alzheimer's by homers is always amazing. Forgetting Barroid and all the rest just

2008 through 2012. Amazing just how many free agents throughout it all beside Zito.

1. 2008 $75.8 4th place. No free agents on this team. ;)

2. 2009 $82.56 million. Won 16 more games but still finished 3rd in the minor division. Just to name one of a the many of a free agents galore lineup....as in, I completely forgot about Randy Johnson who everyone knows like all the other free agents started out in SF's farm system. They were not trying to buy anything by signing Randy Johnson for $8 million. :w

3. 2010 $97 million and first WS in San Francisco. No former free agents signed for big money involved beside Zito. :rofl:

4. 2011 $118 million and they drop to 2nd in the minor league. Still all no major money for free agents beside Zito is the story, I guess. :crazy:

5. 2012 $131 million and 2nd WS in San Francisco. They even had a free agent who was an All-Star that year who was having his best year as a player....but unlike Barroid....he was officially suspended for steroids. How far would they even gotten without Melky "SF Farm system" Cabrera?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2008&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2009&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2010&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2011&team=SFN&pos=

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/?cyear=2012&team=SFN&pos=

So, um, all those guys I mentioned didn't come up through the Minors? Baseball-Reference.com will be very surprised to learn that.

Barry Bonds played in the 2002 WS. I was speaking of the 2010 and 2012 WS. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Tell you what: Please do not engage with me in any way, shape or form. I have had enough of your troll behavior.

Thank you.

[Moderators: Please note.]

Edited by GoodSpeak

My saying they bought both their WS wasn't even clearer....since they only won 2 in SF.

All the payrolls I provided (so, it's not like I am making this up.) proving they did attempt to, or did buy WS, etc.. As in, I said what I said, and proceeded to provide actual proof to back it up. Y
our response is to pretend those payrolls and all the free agents not named Zito that they threw money @ for 2008-2012 didn't happen.

I just provided facts to back up my earlier post that they're no different than "the hated" Dodgers, Yankees, and all the rest who have done it. Last I read....that wasn't against any rules, or considered trolling.

​I am not breaking any rules. I will engage whomever I want. It's up to you, or anyone else to not respond. Yes, I used a good deal of sarcasm in that post, but if sarcasm is against the rules, or is considered trolling....very few including the moderators, or owner would be around.

Edited by Blue Train

I checked and have to admit I was wrong. I was thinking of the post WS stuff.

Edited by Blue Train

The things I find fascinating about this. He's 4-years older than Puig. He's supposedly slower and nowhere the fielder, but he's going to get almost $30 million more. Yoenis Cespedes would be the closest comparison and he's allegedly getting $34 million more than Cespedes.

Next thing....how did the Astros even make the cut? Have to laugh about the part involving the Giants.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/10/17/jose-abreu-astros-red-sox-white-sox/

Edited by Blue Train

Why is Tim McCarver employed?

If it makes you feel better. It's allegedly his last season of how even had a job in the first place. Joe Buck @ least has nepotism as an explanation.

P.S. I take it this is what you're referencing this time with him?

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/october/tim-mccarver-teaches-us-about-golf-s-unwritten-rules-wait-what.html

So long, Nolan. Ya' done good.

Honestly....retiring, or they finally pushed him out?

Edited by Blue Train

Organizational evolution.

"I had committed to charities and things and made some commitments," Ryan said. "I felt like I wanted to see how things worked out. I can't say just because we changed titles on some people that it drove me to this decision because that's not what it is."

- Nolan Ryan

Anyone want to guess how much they paid to the charities and things for him to put it off a year?