MLB 2013 Season

He wasn't a free agent Tim, the Sox traded Anthony Rizzo - now starting 1B for the Cubs - and a well-regarded minor league pitcher whose name escapes me for Gonzalez. I think the kid may have needed surgery but I could be wrong. Pretty sure he got a chance with San Diego but hasn't stuck in the majors yet.

Then the Red Sox gave A-Gon all that money, believing he was going to be the cornerstone of the offense for years to come.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He wasn't a free agent Tim, the Sox traded Anthony Rizzo - now starting 1B for the Cubs - and a well-regarded minor league pitcher whose name escapes me for Gonzalez. I think the kid may have needed surgery but I could be wrong. Pretty sure he got a chance with San Diego but hasn't stuck in the majors yet.

Then the Red Sox gave A-Gon all that money, believing he was going to be the cornerstone of the offense for years to come.

Once again 7 games above replacement....and even though most of that is Gonzalez....they paid $21 million for those 7 games.

Beckett is coming off a surgery were they removed a rib....I have never heard of that for a pitcher. Crawford woke up during the playoffs, but it's Crawford.

P.S. Jed Hoyer actually traded twice for Rizzo, which is how he ended up on the Cubs. Kelly ended up having Tommy John surgery.

Edited by Blue Train

Thanks for the correction, Dan.

I should have said "when he was available."

Still, it would have been nice to have his bat in the Giants' line-up.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Thanks for the correction, Dan.

I should have said "when he was available."

Still, it would have been nice to have his bat in the Giants' line-up.

1. That wouldn't have qualified as the Giants once again trying to buy a WS?

2. The Giants would have had to give him an extension to keep him. It was his penultimate year when the Padres traded him.

3. There is a reason they traded him after only 1.5-years. He wasn't worth the money and he didn't want to be there. In fact they only had to pay a part of the first year of that absurd 7-year $154 million extension. He was still under the Padres contract for $6+ million the first year with them. @ that price he was worth having.

Edited by Blue Train

The Dodgers and Cubs appear to be two of the teams interested in Masahiro Tanka. The posting money alone just to be able to sign him is going to be crazy. $70-$90 million just to be able to sign him to a contract for who knows how much more on top of that....and @ best he becomes their #3 starter.

Edited by Blue Train

When is Big Poppy going to be enshrined in the PED HOF?

38 year old guy making a mockery of the best pitchers in the game; absolutely raking in the playoffs turning around 95+ heat like it was nuthin'

He's been the darling of both the fans & the press, and has gotten a pass for the shit he's done beyond practically anyone else with a big name by far!

Maybe he's just that good.

Or is PEDs the only answer?

Yankees jealous hate knows no bounds, apparently.

Sad.

Last I heard he's a Giants' fan, but not a homer that defends juicers.

FWIW, which isn't much, I'm a Yankees fan above all and do root for both the Giants & A's too because baseball is much more enjoyable & interesting to me when the local teams are playing well. I also follow the NY area football, basketball, & hockey teams some, and have become an avid Sharks (going to the game tonight) & Warrior fan.

According to another poster who recently chipped in and is on ignore, I'll wager that my level of fandom breaks several unwritten rules :P

When is Big Poppy going to be enshrined in the PED HOF?

38 year old guy making a mockery of the best pitchers in the game; absolutely raking in the playoffs turning around 95+ heat like it was nuthin'

He's been the darling of both the fans & the press, and has gotten a pass for the shit he's done beyond practically anyone else with a big name by far!

Maybe he's just that good.

Or is PEDs the only answer?

Yankees jealous hate knows no bounds, apparently.

Sad.

Last I heard he's a Giants' fan, but not a homer that defends juicers.

FWIW, which isn't much, I'm a Yankees fan above all and do root for both the Giants & A's too because baseball is much more enjoyable & interesting to me when the local teams are playing well. I also follow the NY area football, basketball, & hockey teams some, and have become an avid Sharks (going to the game tonight) & Warrior fan.

According to another poster who recently chipped in and is on ignore, I'll wager that my level of fandom breaks several unwritten rules :P

I stand corrected on your fandom...

But you, like me, are not homers....or forget the B.S. by the person that pretends to have us on ignore. He stalks my posts like you won't believe (doesn't respond to all of them, bu still checks them)....and now is doing the passive-aggressive thing like no one notices it

P.S. You have to appreciate the checkmate!

Edited by Blue Train

Speaking of the Giants, they should take a serious run at Ellsbury.

He'll lead the planet in triples, drive in plenty of runs, play a great center field, and eliminate the stupid Punch & Judy hitting non-productive platoons that they've had for years.

That guy is built for their ballpark. Move Pagan to left. The Dodgers are going to run away from the pack. They're out from under the Zito contract.....a bold move worth taking.

He'll lead the planet in triples, drive in plenty of runs, play a great center field, and eliminate the stupid Punch & Judy hitting non-productive platoons that they've had for years.

That guy is built for their ballpark. Move Pagan to left. The Dodgers are going to run away from the pack. They're out from under the Zito contract.....a bold move worth taking.

The Evil Emire made a qualifying offer of $14.1 to him, Drew and Napoli. For those math confused....$42.3 million for just one year. Meaning the Giants are not only going to have to give up a draft pick for Ellsbury....they're going to have to give him a whole lot more and a lot of years to go from a team that might have a chance to get into the WS to the Giants who have no chance @ all.

P.S. Of course, no buying of WS in all of that.

Edited by Blue Train

The Evil Emire made a qualifying offer of $14.1 to him, Drew and Napoli. For those math confused....$42.3 million for just one year. Meaning the Giants are not only going to have to give up a draft pick for Ellsbury....they're going to have to give him a whole lot more to go from a team that might have a chance to get in the WS to the Giants.

P.S. Of course, no buying of WS in all of that.

I'm fully expecting them to offer quite a bit more than the Sox. Given his age and like all signings hoping for good health still think it's a good move. If Pagan is a 16 mil player and Pence signed 90 mil for 5 years then Ellsbury should get paid and come to Norcal.

That would be a really decent plug in OF.

Then your utility guys do what they're supposed to do....fill in on days off and cover occasionally and NOT be starters.

Edited by Mike Schwartz

You forgot Posey's idiotic contract....and no other team even wanted Lincecum....and 2 for $35 million for the later. And even without Zito.....they have only one pitcher that didn't suck last year.

I am all for Ellsbury to the Giants. Weakens the Evil Empire and continues to prove a point with the Giants.

Edited by Blue Train

Yet, another first time manager hired to go against baseball history and it's the Cubs!.....the Cubs are hiring the bench coach of the Padres to be their manager.

Not a single family member, or friend from Chicago likes this choice.

The Ricketts family is about to drop $500 million (of their own money) on renovating Wrigley.....after hiring Sveum as a first time manager from KC of all teams....it's now the Padres....if this doesn't work Epstein and/or Hoyer are gone. The Curse of the Goat looks like it's not ending anytime soon.

P.S. A 2nd cousin of Pops had a brother who played Little League with Torey Lovullo and won their league championship with him....his father was a producer on Hee Haw. I think everyone but the Evil Empire contingent were hoping he would get hired. Apparently, the Cubs didn't even call Lovullo....the bench coach that just helped a team go from last to winning the WS in one season....and is also used to dealing high profile players with huge salaries....and all that comes with being in a major market. Instead the bench coach from the Padres after the 3rd base coach from KC.

You can't make that up!

Edited by Blue Train

Jeffrey Loria sold a painting for about $6.4 million less than the Marlins entire payroll this year. Taxpayers on the hook over the next 40-years in the boondoggling of the new stadium.... $2.4 billion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-06/giacometti-s-diego-portrait-fetches-record-32-6-million.html

Edited by Blue Train

Just want to say....Ron Santo was long before my time....but a complete crime it happened after he died.

This year's list.

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-releases/twelve-finalists-comprise-expansion-era-ballot-hall-fame-consideration-2014

The list of those for the regular vote. Only person for sure is Maddux. I don't see any of the PED's ever getting in.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2014.shtml

Edited by Blue Train

BT, Leo Durocher in his book was really down on Ron Santo, saying that he only hit his homers in late innings when the game was already decided.

http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Guys-Finish-Last-Durocher/dp/B000OM7MEG/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383792165&sr=1-2&keywords=leo+durocher+nice+guys

Leo the Lip said a lot of shit about a lot of people....he wasn't even there for the first year Jackie Robinson played (he was suspended)....but cashed in on that. The great thing about today is that stats/game logs don't lie like those trying to cash in when people can't check them as easily as now.

Forgetting that. He played most of his career @ 3rd before they lowered the mound to make it easier for hitters.

He's the last 3rd baseman in the Hall that played before they lowered the mound. Beside all his hitting stats outside of the HR....he could field. He wasn't Brooks Robinson @ 3rd (even though he's 7th in Gold Gloves for a 3rd baseman)....but BR wasn't Santo @ the plate.

Several 3rd baseman that made the Hall don't compare to him @ the plate....many of them also were not as good with the glove.

Now add in he did it all while having and hiding he had type 1 diabetes....and pretty much self medicated with food by how he felt during games. All the while....in 11 straight years he played in 154+ games. 160+ games in seven assorted years.

P.S. I think most of it is because the Cubs just sucked and they just don't let in that many 3rd basemen (hell, it took Eddie Matthews 5 times to get in.).....even Ernie "Mr Cub" Banks....another Cub the Lip badmouthed....even he didn't get into the HOF until the 2nd time.

P.P.S. It actually would be interesting to see just how many players like Santo that made the HOF....played before and after they lowered the mound.....and I bet he's also the very last one it will happen with.

Edited by Blue Train

Braves are building a new $700+ million stadium outside of Atlanta in Cobb county. With interest you have to figure the real cost of the bonds.....will be around $2 billion+. Turner field was built in 1996.

P.S. Twins doing what they should have a few years ago and moving Maur permanently to 1st.

Edited by Blue Train

Will Myers becomes the 3rd Tampa Bay player in 6-years to win ROY in the A.L. Can anyone imagine TB if they kept their players.

Second was Jose Iglesias who the Evil Empire traded to Detroit as part of the Jake Peavy trade. He would have been the first player traded @ that point to win the ROY.

Peavy was 4-1 (4 wins they didn't really need) out of 10 games in the regular season and was 0-1 in 3 postseason games. ERA 4.04 in the regular season and 4.5 in the post.

Iglesias (he was only with Detroit for 46 regular season games and he came 2nd in ROY), Xander Bogaerts (who looks like the front-runner for ROY next year), and Dustin Pedroia....and their ages. That's an infield for how many years to come and two of them @ what cost?

Drew declined the $14.1. They could have sat on Iglesias another year, but really glad that trade happened!

Jose Fernandez beats Yasiel Puig for the NL ROY. I think Puig should have won (but too much anti-Puig reporting made it obvious)....Fernandez had an absurd ERA for a rookie....considering it's the Marlins....how long before he's traded, or signed by another team?

Either one would have been the first person to be born in Cuba to win the ROY.

Edited by Blue Train

Braves are building a new $700+ million stadium outside of Atlanta in Cobb county. With interest you have to figure the real cost of the bonds.....will be around $2 billion+. Turner field was built in 1996.

Cobb County tax payers are getting royally screwed so some billionaires can collect more corporate welfare. Funny how Cobb County can't find enough money for their public schools but they have an extra $450 million for the Braves.

This caught everyone here totally off-guard. I haven't been a big baseball fan since the mid-90s strike, but I've been to a few games at Turner Field, most recently late this past season. It's great stadium, and to me, who saw many games at the old Atlanta Stadium, it seemed like the paint was still fresh.

None of the Braves' stated reasons for the move - traffic, ease of access, lack of parking, needed renovations at Turner Field - hold up to much scrutiny. (For one thing, while rush-hour traffic is bad in downtown Atlanta, it's a real nightmare at the I-75/I-285 interchange where the new stadium will be located.) It seems to come down to two things - money and scared white people. The new stadium will be partly owned by the Braves, so they'll get money from the naming rights and more from the concessions and parking. And the new stadium will be smaller, presumably driving up the price of premium seats.

Most of the people commenting on the online articles I've read think this move is ridiculous, but among the folks who think it's a good thing, the word "ghetto" shows up a lot in their comments. I wouldn't walk in the neighborhoods around Turner Field alone after midnight, but the notion that attending a Braves game there is scary or dangerous is ridiculous. I've walked with friends from "The Ted" to their condo a mile to the east after games.

And J.H. Deeley just brought up the issue of the cost to Cobb County taxpayers. Cobb County is extremely conservative - they hate taxes - and nobody ran this by them. There have been no public hearings. This was presented today as a done deal.

I know that we live in a "disposable" society, but throwing away an expensive stadium at the 20-year mark makes my jaw drop.