The electric piano

ghost of miles

My all time favourite Rhodes playing is on Herbie Hancock's three Warner Bros. albums

Boy, you ain't kiddin' I've been loving Fat Albert Rotunda recently. And I like Herbie's playing on Red Clay too.

I used to completely avoid anything with electric piano, but I've learned to appreciate it, to an extent, for the color and texture it brings. I like that late 60s early 70s era, too bad it devolved into fusion-- the Full Cleveland of jazz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I like Herbie's playing on Red Clay too.

I like Herbie's playing on this record, but the tone of the Rhodes sounds odd on this album, as if the tines are muted or something. Same thing on "Straight Life". Was this an early Rhodes model or modified in some way?

I own a Mark I myself (and I love playing it, to be honest) but it sounds very different.

Edited by DatDere

Clare Fischer is great on electric piano. You can hear more of this on another Tjader twofer CD Here and There on Fantasy - the live material comes from the same concert as that on Cuban Fantasy.

There was a rare solo LP on Revelation Great White Hope! with two tracks on Rhodes, the remainder on organ. And he played electric on his two MPS latin jazz LPs.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a pretty interesting segment, ain't it? How do you like the That Jones "arrangement" of "Tuxedo Junction"? Totally a stock arrangement except for the sax soli, which is totally Thad (and worth the cost of admission in itself!). You gotta wonder how much he got paid for that chart. Nice work if you can get it!