The ISRC only contains Artist, Title Owner and Time as far as I know. I believe this was built to track internet traffic of downloads and streams.

Thanks Chuck. So, if there are other tags attached, it wasn't ISRC data.

OK, I just decided to listen to 'Mordido' off this box. WMP said it couldn't find a playable file. I looked in the folder and, sure enough, the file wasn't there. All of the other folders with my amended tags from Monday were empty, too. And they'd been put into folders in 'My music' with their original tags replaced. What on earth is going on?

Fortunately, the backups on my external hard drive were still there, so I'm listening to 'Mordido' off the EHD. But does anyone have any idea of how this can happen? I don't believe it was the fairies - they wouldn't be bothered to reverse all the changes, so it must be the system :)

MG

The ISRC only contains Artist, Title Owner and Time as far as I know. I believe this was built to track internet traffic of downloads and streams.

Thanks Chuck. So, if there are other tags attached, it wasn't ISRC data.

OK, I just decided to listen to 'Mordido' off this box. WMP said it couldn't find a playable file. I looked in the folder and, sure enough, the file wasn't there. All of the other folders with my amended tags from Monday were empty, too. And they'd been put into folders in 'My music' with their original tags replaced. What on earth is going on?

Fortunately, the backups on my external hard drive were still there, so I'm listening to 'Mordido' off the EHD. But does anyone have any idea of how this can happen? I don't believe it was the fairies - they wouldn't be bothered to reverse all the changes, so it must be the system :)

MG

Here's a possible answer, based on my own experience: When you rip, do you have your software save directly to an EHD? My setup is I use iTunes, have iTunes save to an EHD, and then I have a second EHD for a daily automatic backup. There have been times when, unbeknownst to me, my primary EHD isn't online (most probably the cat dislodged the power cord). When that occurs, iTunes, without telling me, starts using the backup drive. So if I then rip a disc, iTunes will rip it directly to the backup EHD, again without my being aware of it. When my computer again references the primary EHD (usually after a reboot), iTunes can no longer find those ripped tunes, because they weren't saved to the primary EHD. But it will have a record of the track names because it had once saved them; that's why it can't "find a playable file." Could it be that something like this happened to you?

I think this is something to do with a new version of WMP. I'm running version 12.0.7601.17514 and I suspect that was only downloaded by MS a few weeks ago. I think the new version of WMP tries to keep a music library for me. I looked at the library and found that the only items in it are ones I have ripped or downloaded or played in the last few weeks. I suspect that, when WMP rips something, and puts it into the My music folder, it keeps a record of that somewhere and tries to reconstruct it if you fuck about with the filenames, artist or album titles. I ripped a bunch of Gene Ammons CDs a couple of weeks ago, one of which was the twofer Up tight''. This album has been treated the same as the Membran stuff. The library contains one album which is the CD of 'Up tight', with all the tracks from the CD and the CD artwork. It also contains one other album which is the original album of 'Up tight' with the original art work. But no album of 'Boss soul', the other album forming part of the 'Up tight' CD, which I created at the same time.

This is fucking OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

Does anyone know how I can turn this library function off?

MG

I think this is something to do with a new version of WMP. I'm running version 12.0.7601.17514 and I suspect that was only downloaded by MS a few weeks ago. I think the new version of WMP tries to keep a music library for me. I looked at the library and found that the only items in it are ones I have ripped or downloaded or played in the last few weeks. I suspect that, when WMP rips something, and puts it into the My music folder, it keeps a record of that somewhere and tries to reconstruct it if you fuck about with the filenames, artist or album titles. I ripped a bunch of Gene Ammons CDs a couple of weeks ago, one of which was the twofer Up tight''. This album has been treated the same as the Membran stuff. The library contains one album which is the CD of 'Up tight', with all the tracks from the CD and the CD artwork. It also contains one other album which is the original album of 'Up tight' with the original art work. But no album of 'Boss soul', the other album forming part of the 'Up tight' CD, which I created at the same time.

MG

I've been pretty unhappy with this (and I'll see if David's fix works for me). I basically only rip contemporary CDs using WMP when I won't be splitting sessions. If I know I'll be reordering and splitting the tracks (like Prestige 2-fers or something), I just use a different ripper, since I am so sick of WMP undoing my changes. This has been particularly a problem with classical CDs, where I usually want each composition in its own folder (ultimately sorted by conductor, which is a little perverse, but it does help with folder management).

Tools>Options>Library> ta-da

Thanks. Now set all WMP library settings to blank.

Funny thing is, there's a setting that seems to do what it has been doing, but that was blank anyway. Still.

MG

MG

I've been pretty unhappy with this (and I'll see if David's fix works for me). I basically only rip contemporary CDs using WMP when I won't be splitting sessions. If I know I'll be reordering and splitting the tracks (like Prestige 2-fers or something), I just use a different ripper, since I am so sick of WMP undoing my changes. This has been particularly a problem with classical CDs, where I usually want each composition in its own folder (ultimately sorted by conductor, which is a little perverse, but it does help with folder management).

Oh, I thought is was just me. What alternative ripper do you use? - just in case David's fix doesn't do it for me.

MG

Well, I mostly rip to mp3 not flac (yeah, yeah, I know).

I use freerip, which is fine for mp3s. There are a bunch of comparable programs floating out there. Usually the slightly older build versions are better, as they don't have as much bloat and feature creep.

Edited by ejp626

I use freerip, which is fine for mp3s. There are a bunch of comparable programs floating out there. Usually the slightly older build versions are better, as they don't have as much bloat and feature creep.

Thanks, but I don't understand most of those expressions.

MG

Software programs, particularly freeware programs, pick up all these extra features (called bloat) and they get a bit larger and slower. Since you really only want the software to rip CDs, sometimes it is better to go for an older version when you go to download it. (Often for freeware software, they will have the last 10 or so working versions of the program.)

MG

Software programs, particularly freeware programs, pick up all these extra features (called bloat) and they get a bit larger and slower. Since you really only want the software to rip CDs, sometimes it is better to go for an older version when you go to download it. (Often for freeware software, they will have the last 10 or so working versions of the program.)

MG

Thanks - I may PM you tomorrow for a bit more help.

MG

I use Exact Audio Copy: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

There are a lot of useful guides on configuring this properly:

See, e.g.,

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/exact_audio_copy_installation_and_configuration.cfm

http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html

Once you have it configured to your liking, you shouldn't have any of the maddening problems that WMP causes.

I ripped that box a couple of months ago using iTunes, which uses Gracenote and the tracks were all correct

GRRRRR!!!!

:D

MG

Thanks for that, Dave.

MG

I use Exact Audio Copy: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

There are a lot of useful guides on configuring this properly:

See, e.g.,

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/exact_audio_copy_installation_and_configuration.cfm

http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html

Once you have it configured to your liking, you shouldn't have any of the maddening problems that WMP causes.

MG, once you have done that, when you put in a CD you can right click on 'find album info' and see what it give you. You can either accept that information ('Finish') or press 'Search' in which case it offers you alternatives if there are any. You can then take a look at what it is offering.

If the intention is to do FLAC for archiving/backup purposes, I'd strongly recommend using EAC, with the "secure mode" set up properly. You'll get WAV that way, which can then be converted to FLAC of course.

No, I don't intend to do flac stuff. But thanks.

MG

MG, once you have done that, when you put in a CD you can right click on 'find album info' and see what it give you. You can either accept that information ('Finish') or press 'Search' in which case it offers you alternatives if there are any. You can then take a look at what it is offering.

Thanks - seems a helpful little bugger, don't it?

:g

If it's possible for freeware programmes to be this helpful and useful, why the hell aren't MS programmes? (Or iTunes. for that matter.)

MG