Dave Douglas Quintet - Time Travel

colinmce

I've a ton of DD releases but stopped buying new ones around the Keystone Moonshine release as I felt I'd reached saturation level. it wasn't that he was producing any less notable music I'm sure just that my ears were no longer hearing it. The vocal element of Be Still nearly tempted me back and I received the release notification for Time Travel today and thought "mmmm...shall I?".

I suspect the killer new postal rates from US to UK will make the decisiion for me. I'll listen to any samples with interest though

By the by, he's now a visiting prof at the Royal Academy of Music in London which has got to be a good thing for the students

I'll be interested to hear what you and other folk make of the new release

Definitely looking forward to this. Be Still has been on constant rotation in this household.

I find myself more drawn to his work of the past decade rather than his earlier material on Soul Note and the like, though that is probably due in part to my own leanings for more "inside" music.

I've a ton of DD releases but stopped buying new ones around the Keystone Moonshine release as I felt I'd reached saturation level. it wasn't that he was producing any less notable music I'm sure just that my ears were no longer hearing it. The vocal element of Be Still nearly tempted me back and I received the release notification for Time Travel today and thought "mmmm...shall I?".

I suspect the killer new postal rates from US to UK will make the decisiion for me. I'll listen to any samples with interest though

By the by, he's now a visiting prof at the Royal Academy of Music in London which has got to be a good thing for the students

I'll be interested to hear what you and other folk make of the new release

His newer albums are available as lossless downloads from the Greenleaf Music website. You can get "Time Travel" here for $10....tempting!

http://music.davedouglas.com/album/time-travel

Liked the music on Be Still, but not the singing. Glad to hear Aoife O'Donovan isn't involved.

@ mjazzg

Have you heard Live at the Jazz Standard? He plays cornet throughout it.

yes Blue Train I have the 2CD comp of Jazz Standard. I enjoyed it initially and should revisit it