Keith Jarrett: Somewhere

CJ Shearn

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a John Cage composition?

It's what you get when you suffer from compulsory coughing disorder and Keef stops playing and leaves the stage ... but then I guess the beautiful micro-tonal-audience-participation-music would again be drowned out by the booing of the audience ... too bad really. Seems we'll never get to actually hear it!

LOL. He does have a good sense of humor on the "Live at the Open Theater East" DVD, I wish they released that as a CD b/c it's one of the best releases of that Trio, IMO. I could just turn the TV off and listen though. Does anyone do that with concert discs or Blu Ray's that play continuously?

If he'd just get on with it and start banging away, no one would notice a sniffle.

I'd love to see his reaction if you told him in person to start "banging away". :)

I think we would quickly come to a mutual agreement that he should keep his distance.

Put the album cover under a black light, the light blue and orange font makes it turn electric LOL. Anyway yeah, that's always been a favorite of mine, lots of nice medium up grooving, and I think the title track vamp rivals "Autumn Leaves" on the Blue Note box. "Up For It" was reissued in Japan as an SHM CD, but I don't see the need, the original release sounds great. Also, "Yesterdays" I think is a lot better than when I first got it. Anyway, I did decide to grab "At the Deer Head Inn" and that should be here soon.

I have a sizable chunk of the trio's albums and all the DVD's but I still gotta grab "Standards Live", "Standards in Norway", "Tribute", "The Cure" and "Bye Bye Blackbird" at some point. I gave a few albums to a student in the jazz class I TA'ed who was a Jarrett freak, and then there was one time I had so much stuff the Complete Live at the BN box had to go but I'll get that second hand sometime. Great music. I think certain Jarrett trio albums fit my mood at a certain time, if I want something firey, I put on "Still Live", "Whisper Not", the first two albums or the "Open Theater East" and "Standards I/II" DVD's. For more introspective playing I think the "Tokyo '96" DVD, and "Yesterdays" fill the bill. "Up For It" and "My Foolish Heart" share a kinship in balanced playing, between hot and medium simmer. "Changes" and "Changeless" is my go to for the free side of the trio, though I felt "Inside Out" is more focused than "Always Let Me Go".