The really great R&B saxophonists

I thought it would be nice to spare a thread for the great R&B saxmen, particularly (but not exclusively) of the 40s & 50s.

So let's start with the 80s :g just because I'm listening to Gil Scott-Heron's 'From South Africa to South Carolina' which features one Bilal Sunni Ali taking a quite advanced, Pharoah Sanders-style, tenor solo on the track 'Essex'. So who is this guy, when he's not using his Islamic name? Anyone know him?

And, since I've mentioned him, don't forget about Pharoah in this context...

But OK, back to the old timers. And omigod weren't there a lot of them? In the order I thought of them...

Paul Williams

Wild Bill Moore

Jimmy Forrest

Jimmy Coe

Hal Singer

Red Prysock

Sil Austin

Maxwell Davis

Big Jim Wynn

Morris Lane

Jack McVea

Illinois Jacquet (I should have put him first)

Weasel Parker

Harold 'Geezil' Minerve

Willis 'Gator Tail' Jackson

Eddie Chamblee

Bubba Broooks

Little Willie Jackson

Bullmoose Jackson

Clyde 'Blowtop' Lynn

Lynn Hope

Big John Greer

Joe Houston

Earl Effin' Bostic (should have started with him, too :))

Frank 'Floorshow' Culley

Lee Allen

Alvin Tyler

Herb Hardesty

Big Jay McNeely

Sam 'The Man' Taylor

Ray Abrams

James Von Streeter

Lorenzo Holden

Preston Love

Jackie Kelso

Buddy Floyd

William Gaither

Benjamin Waters

Eddie Taylor

Big Al Sears

Plas Johnson (he should be in big letters)

Paul Bascomb

Fred Jackson

Jimmy Wright

Jesse Powell

Buddy Lucas

David 'Fathead' Newman

King Curtis

Hank Crawford

Fred Ford

Red Holloway

Maceo Parker

Pee Wee Ellis

Nearly forgot Clifford Scott!!!

Gene 'Daddy G' Barge

Arthur 'Fats' Theus

Omigod forgot Louis Jordan!!!

Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson

Don Wilkerson

Bumps Myers

Holley Dismukes

Bloody 'ell! Not one of these could Sanborn cut.

MG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois Jacquet (I should have put him first)

Definitely. Saw him just the once - towards the end of his life, in NYC Town Hall no less - and was hugely impressed with his big tenor sound. What a great showman he was.

The big band he had for that gig was damn good too.

Edited by sidewinder

So I'll start with tenor player Buddy Banks.

Buddy ran a little R&B band on the west coast in the forties, recording for a variety of labels including: Specialty, Sterling, United Artist, Melodisc & Modern. Only hit was 'Voo-it, voo-it' on Specialty, featuring Marion 'Blues Woman' Abernathy.

What was different about Buddy's band was that he had a trombonist (mostly Wiley Huff, who later spent quite a time with Johnny Otis' band) instead of a trumpet. This gave the band a nice mellow sound.

Official issued an LP compiling most of the band's material in the 80s: 'Happy home blues'.

HHBfront.jpg

I see there's a CD out on Blue Moon.

51fvHMGyb8L._SS135_SL160_.jpg

MG

I couldn't add anything beyond what's already been established elsewhere, but it is worth mentioning -- again -- that Dallas gave us, via Ray Charles, Fathead and Cooper.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/article/ray-charles-style-formed-in-south-dallas-home/

Outside of dates with Ray and his fellow Charles bandmates, Cooper can be heard to advantage on the Buster Smith LP that Atlantic issued in the late 50s.

Legendary_Buster_Smith.jpg

IIRC, there are some good anecdotes re: King Curtis in Ornette Coleman's section of Spellman's 4 LIVES IN THE BEBOP BUSINESS.

Jim will know more about the under-documented guys of a later generation. And, while he's not R & B -- call it "gospel," but carefully -- if you not yet heard Fort Worth's Brother Vernard Johnson... do!

383.jpg

Edited by Joe

I couldn't add anything beyond what's already been established elsewhere, but it is worth mentioning -- again -- that Dallas gave us, via Ray Charles, Fathead and Cooper.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/article/ray-charles-style-formed-in-south-dallas-home/

Outside of dates with Ray and his fellow Charles bandmates, Cooper can be heard to advantage on the Buster Smith LP that Atlantic issued in the late 50s.

Legendary_Buster_Smith.jpg

IIRC, there are some good anecdotes re: King Curtis in Ornette Coleman's section of Spellman's 4 LIVES IN THE BEBOP BUSINESS.

Jim will know more about the under-documented guys of a later generation. And, while he's not R & B -- call it "gospel," but carefully -- if you not yet heard Fort Worth's Brother Vernard Johnson... do!

383.jpg

Didn't realise Vernard came from Ft Worth. When I got that album, I thought there was a lot of King Curtis in his style. But JeffCrom has some of his earlier Savoy albums and I think he said Vernard wasn't playing like that, then.

MG

Paul Williams was playing baritone sax in Detroit who was discovered in 1948 when Teddy Reig visited the town to check out King Porter's band. He decided he didn't want the rest of the band - just Williams. A contract with Savoy followed and Williams produced 8 R&B hit singles for the label:

35-30 (#8)

The twister pts 1 & 2 (#15)

Waxie Maxie (#11)

Walkin' around (#6)

The hucklebuck (#1 for 14 weeks - the biggest R&B hit of 1949)

House rocker (#12)

He knows how to Hucklebuck (#13)

Pop corn (#13)

A nice compilation of his stuff is

6123GgkJrQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's a 48 track download from Amazon UK.

If you've seen the video material of 'Showtime at the Apollo', the Paul Williams band provides all or most of the backings in that.

MG

Herb Hardesty next

DominoEffect.JPG

I love this photo of Herb rolling on the floor and honking with the Fats Domino band. Here's a recent photo.

no3.jpg

Herb was born in 1925 and is still around. Here's his website.

http://www.herbert-hardesty.com/bioe.htm

The world would be a less wonderful place without Herb's stripped down and gutrending baritone solo on Fats' recording of 'Blue Monday'.

MG

They're listed above, too. Not doing a piece on every one all at once. You can do them, if you like. :D I know you like Red. Don't forget to mention his work with Jack McDuff.

MG

Cozy Eggleston - a great one

Warren Lucky

Johnny Board

Fats Noel

Al King

Tab Smith

I don't know Warren Lucky or Al King, Paul. Please tell us about them.

MG

Great lists, MG! (And great aditions, particularly those by Paul Secor)

What more to add?

Just some thoughts:

You mentioned BIg Jay McNeely and Joe Houstons among the typical honkers. In the same vein, no appreciation for Chuck Higgins?

Along with Gene Ammons and Arnett Cobb (whose R&B output would have qualified them), how about Jimmy Forrest in his early "Night Train" years?

And Leo Parker straddled the fence towards R&B at times too.

And how about Sam Butera (though he was white)?

Then ....

Charlie Singleton

Charlie Ferguson

Marvin Johnson

Lem Johnson

Haywood Henry

and ...

Sax Mallard!!

Warren Lucky

Johnny Board

Fats Noel

Al King

Tab Smith

MG

Check out this: They're on it. Fierce!!

http://bebopwinorip.blogspot.de/2008/03/warren-lucky-al-king-and-haywood-henry_12.html

Word! :tup;)

Paul Williams was playing baritone sax in Detroit who was discovered in 1948 when Teddy Reig visited the town to check out King Porter's band. He decided he didn't want the rest of the band - just Williams. A contract with Savoy followed and Williams produced 8 R&B hit singles for the label:

35-30 (#8)

The twister pts 1 & 2 (#15)

Waxie Maxie (#11)

Walkin' around (#6)

The hucklebuck (#1 for 14 weeks - the biggest R&B hit of 1949)

House rocker (#12)

He knows how to Hucklebuck (#13)

Pop corn (#13)

A nice compilation of his stuff is

6123GgkJrQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's a 48 track download from Amazon UK.

If you've seen the video material of 'Showtime at the Apollo', the Paul Williams band provides all or most of the backings in that.

MG

Tenor saxist Noble Watts recorded with Paul Williams on Vee Jay (and according to one discography, possibly on Groove).

Great lists, MG! (And great aditions, particularly those by Paul Secor)

What more to add?

Just some thoughts:

You mentioned BIg Jay McNeely and Joe Houstons among the typical honkers. In the same vein, no appreciation for Chuck Higgins?

Along with Gene Ammons and Arnett Cobb (whose R&B output would have qualified them), how about Jimmy Forrest in his early "Night Train" years?

And Leo Parker straddled the fence towards R&B at times too.

And how about Sam Butera (though he was white)?

Then ....

Charlie Singleton

Charlie Ferguson

Marvin Johnson

Lem Johnson

Haywood Henry

and ...

Sax Mallard!!

Warren Lucky

Johnny Board

Fats Noel

Al King

Tab Smith

MG

Check out this: They're on it. Fierce!!

http://bebopwinorip.blogspot.de/2008/03/warren-lucky-al-king-and-haywood-henry_12.html

Word! :tup;)

Warren Lucky and Al King are also on this Flyright CD:

thunderbolt-r-b-sax-instrumentals-variou

It's a reissue of the LP that was listed above with some changes. Available here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=thunderbolt+r%26b+sax+instrumentals+flyright

According to the liner notes, Warren Lucky played with Ernie Fields c. 1944-45 and played and recorded with Dizzy's big band - 1945-1946. The selections on the Flyright CD were recorded in 1956 for Joe Davis' Jay-Dee label.

The Al King titles on the Flyright CD were recorded for MGM in 1952 and Davis in 1956. There is little information included in the notes except for the fact that when the certificates for registration for the MGM sides came through, "he was playing at The Hurricane on Center Avenue in Pittsburgh." Joe Davis produced the MGM sides and must have thought highly of Al King to record him over three years later.

Edited by paul secor