AAJ forums

7/4

Thing is that boards or forums are so 2003...

I tend to agree with you on that point. It is my theory that with so many people, especially younger people, now accessing the internet on smartphones, often while they are on the run or doing something else at the same time, that forums or boards are more difficult to use, and thus less popular.

I access the internet sometimes on my smartphone, and sometimes on my desktop PC. It is in fact more difficult for me to read a forum on a smartphone. The type is so small on the screen, and it is often more difficult to view artwork within a post, or to access and read links within a post.

It is also much more difficult to type out a post of any length on a smartphone.

So the smartphone generation turns to Twitter, where the messages are all very short and easy to type into a phone.

It takes a certain amount of attention, focus and ability to easily read on the device you are using, to participate in a forum, and it is not that easy to do all that when you are on the run with a smartphone.

Exactly, the Facebook and the Twitters have taken over in terms of communication which makes these boards moot for certain types of communication,, especially short brief ones, logically it should mean for boards like ours less action and less postings but hopefully deeper ones.

Also as you mentionned the new tools we use to communicate nowadays don't work that well with "old school ways" of communicating such as a forum.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, the Facebook and the Twitters have taken over in terms of communication which makes these boards moot for certain types of communication,, especially short brief ones, logically it should mean for boards like ours less action and less postings but hopefully deeper ones.

Deeper posts? Aside from the "What are you listening to now?" thread, the other "discussion" that gets the most attention here (with 10,480 replies and 485,129 views) is . . . drumroll.gif "sexiest album covers". Sad.

I think the structure of a bulletin board is very conducive to what we discuss. Most of our posts would just get lost in a continuous feed a la Facebook. The one thing we lack is an index of musician threads.

FB sucks for discussions. It's not really set up for serious discussion.

Deeper posts? Aside from the "What are you listening to now?" thread, the other "discussion" that gets the most attention here (with 10,480 replies and 485,129 views) is . . . drumroll.gif "sexiest album covers". Sad.

I guess the (slightly flawed) analogy would be a motorcycle club. The club forms around people's mutual love of motorcycles, but a lot of the time when they gather they just have a beer and shoot the shit about random stuff. Every now and again some one will ride in their new bike and then that'll spark an in depth discussion about the merits of this type of wheel or that brand of muffler etc. Or there'll be a controversial article in Motorcycle Monthly... i guess it would be the same on a bulletin board dedicated to motorcycles as it is here... the 'album cover/what are you listening to' threads/posts keep the embers burning...

The way i think that facebook and twitter have affected bulletin boards is that there are people that really just want a bit of interaction online... they might realise that their love of jazz has been keeping them coming here, but really they hardly actually ever discuss jazz. They realise that they are perfectly happy scratching that 'online interaction itch' via their facebook friends and quietly withdraw from showing up at the 'jazz club' regularly.

Hello all. I am (was) a member of AAJ's forum, but have finally found my way here. I used to post there every now and again, and thought it was odd that is just switched off. Surely they could have sent out an email blast to members about the extended time off? A little strange, no?

Still, I'm sure it's a lot of work for them. To be honest I have never used the rest of their site, so getting updates has been impossible. I don't have a facebook account, and don't use Twitter. On the other hand, I'm on the net 24/7, seven days a week.

So - hello again!

Hi Ligeti, as a newbie myself it's probably not my place to welcome you here but welcome anyway! I also used to post on AAJ, funnily enough joined here not long before the AAJ BB went down. They had mentioned that changes were coming at some point in the future but there was no warning that the board would be going down when it did. Would've been nice if only to have the opportunity to PM a few regulars... i guess most would know that Organissimo exists and will hopefully make their way over here too (thinking about it they may already be here under different handles). Cheers.

Thing is that boards or forums are so 2003...

That is true and it's something I've been thinking lots of times. But the thing is they're still there, because they offer a good way of communicating around a topic. And the very social networks come from here... There was another forum I followed and around 2006/2007 it had the same thought and went Twitter. Since then I don't follow it any more.

Well, AAJ forum is still down...odd. Hadn't signed in there in years.

Perhaps forums will become cool down the road . Records aren't what people under 30 grew up on, same thing with forums. Someday in the near future, hipsters will overload the servers posting thousands of deep and insightful posts on jazz! :Nod:

I asked AAJ about the forums and all they said was there is a big problem that is also expensive to so at this point no idea when forums will be back.

Sad they were great place for discussing Jazz both improv and approaches as well as Jazz in general.

Somebody's missing the boat by not opening a dedicated political board with a jazz sub-forum available for a nominal fee...

Maybe I'll register and start a jazz thread at politicalforum.com. Don't seem to be too many jazz fans there, though.

Edited by Jerry_L