AAJ forums

7/4

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HutchFan, awesome to see you here! A couple of us had tried to contact you via the contact email address on your Bobby Hutcherson site, but the email address seems to be out of date :) I found your site to be most useful recently when i went on a bit of a BH bender (among others picked up the recent japanese reissues of Patterns, Spiral, Medina with the original 70's covers = fantastic stuff!).

Anyway, happy posting!

So the AAJ forums are officially gone?

That's unfortunate, but the trend of message boards going extinct has been moving along at a rapid pace the last few years.

This one seems to have lasting power, but it's certainly part of the exception and not the rule.

I wonder why this is, because I think message boards have some very big advantages over the more popular social media.

The depth of discussion on boards like this, is not something I come across very often on Facebook for example, and furthermore the wealth of information you can find in the archives of message boards is something unknown to social media.

I wonder why this is, because I think message boards have some very big advantages over the more popular social media.

The depth of discussion on boards like this, is not something I come across very often on Facebook for example, and furthermore the wealth of information you can find in the archives of message boards is something unknown to social media.

I couldn't agree more.

Something I've personally observed, especially on Facebook, is that individuals have much more control over what they do and don't read/tolerate. In other words, you have the power to control the conversation. Someone says something you do not like or agree with, you've got the power to send them packing. To be perfectly honest, I find it to be anti-intellectual. That said, I am also ashamed to admit that I've been on both sides of that. It's one of the reasons why I barely use my FB account anymore. It has essentially turned us back into a global high school.

Deeper discussions can be had, and I've participated in many with very good friends, but for the most part it's fast food for the soul. And funny pictures of cats.

The online bulletin board is still my cyber social drug of choice, but folks like us are a dying breed, I'm afraid. Many folks these days want to read headlines and move on...

The one thing I'm not really keen on is everyone agreeing with me. I like to be challenged, and I like to challenge others. Speaking only for myself, it makes me think. Makes me do my homework. That can only serve to make me more informed.

Something a quick little blurb, and an equally quick little response on FB will never be able to accomplish.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Welcome to the AAJ refugees.

The way to help maintain a vibrant community is to attract new members and to utilize social media to help drive traffic over here. So don't forget to use the social media buttons that are at the bottom of every thread to share threads you deem worthwhile on your own social media pages. Encourage folks over there to join the discussion here.

I didn't see this thread, sorry guys!

Yes, I came here from AAJ - I got an invite via PM, and decided to come try the place out.

To mixed results. :D

Is AAJ never coming back, or what?!?

ps: My username at AAJ wasn't Ligeti.... but hey, you know that already or you wouldn't have known to PM me out of the blue. ;)

Edited by Ligeti

Hello Everyone,

Since I'm another AAJ refugee, I thought I'd introduce myself in this thread.

I'm happy to join y'all over here. I've really missed having the opportunity to chat with fellow jazz-lovers about the music.

I look forward to listening in, learning, and occasionally joining the conversation. :)

Great to see you here! I've attempted to contact you also via the Hutch website, but have failed. Please stick around. You'll make a great addition especially in the listening section.

So the AAJ forums are officially gone?

That's unfortunate, but the trend of message boards going extinct has been moving along at a rapid pace the last few years.

This one seems to have lasting power, but it's certainly part of the exception and not the rule.I wonder why this is, because I think message boards have some very big advantages over the more popular social media.

Damn straight there!

Edited by Tom 1960

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome! :)

Hey, welcome Hutch.

And do check out the classical music threads here. Lots of good stuff.

And a hearty welcome to all other AAJ refugees. I myself am a refugee from some time ago. There are lots of members here who have a real depth of experience and understanding of music, I find. Anyways, welcome all!

There is an explanation here: http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?59613-What-Happened&p=651746#post651746

I had been spending less and less time there and I'm looking forward to spending more and more time here. The recent Jackie McLean threads have been great!

I've enjoyed the content of your website for years. I'm glad you're finding something of value here.