Update from Mosaic about Clifford Jordan and other new releases

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news and no great suprise - about 6/7 years ago I asked Charles Tolliver at a panel session before his big band concert held in London if there were any more Mosaic Selects planned of the Strata-East material. He said at the time he was hoping that a Select of the Clifford Jordan sessions would be arranged. A bit of a delay but looks like they've gone one better than that.

And hell yes, this set most certainly is the dog's bollocks! I can't wait to hear it.

Plus the cats whiskers, squared... Something tells me this set will sell well, too.

Edited by sidewinder

I'm thrilled by this release, but even more shocked by it. Are they really gonna be able to find 5000 people willing to plunk down $102 each for it? I hope so, because it could really open up some amazing possibilities if this sort of thing proves to be economically viable. What a great jazz era, and I know there's still a lot of worthy material out there from those days that has never seen CD release.

Edited by felser

That's half the reason that I would buy something like this to encourage more releases like it!

Granted, I am fairly interested anyway, but all I know is that I want more 1970s releases, especially if they involve multiple different leader dates within the same release - assuming the material is worthy.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

yeah, that's the bulldog's ox, or whatever the phrase is.

JS, the phrase I think you're looking for is "the dog's bollocks."

And hell yes, this set most certainly is the dog's bollocks! I can't wait to hear it.

Ah yes, that's it. I never was good with provincial dialects, sorry.

I think the guy's name is Jim Neumann, the original owner. He's a doctor or something, doesn't need the money, and looks at Beehive as his personal labor of love.

That's the picture I've gotten, anyway.

Dusty Groove regularly has BeeHive inventory on hand until they sell it, then they get some more. People wanting to explore the catalog should check there at periodic intervals.

I think the guy's name is Jim Neumann, the original owner. He's a doctor or something, doesn't need the money, and looks at Beehive as his personal labor of love.

That's the picture I've gotten, anyway.

Dusty Groove regularly has BeeHive inventory on hand until they sell it, then they get some more. People wanting to explore the catalog should check there at periodic intervals.

Thanks. I knew Jim Neumann founded the label, but didn't know he still owns it.

Albums on the set: Clifford Jordan’s In The World and Glass Bead Game, Cecil Payne’sZodiac, Charles Brackeen’s Rhythm X, Wilbur Ware’s Super Bass, Pharoah Sanders’ Izipho Zam, and Ed Blackwell’s Shades of Edward Blackwell (with Don Cherry and Wilbur Ware, previously unreleased).

Oh Yeah!! sounds great - I'll definitely be in for this

• 2 weeks later...

I will spring for this set even though I have most of it. Glass Bead Games is one of my desert island dates, I had Jordan sign my copy around 1981 or 82. The side with Alias Buster Henry and One For Amos is probably the most played album side I own. I wish the set also included Reasons in Tonality, maybe there will be a Keno Duke release. I was underwhelmed by the Sanders and Payne Dolphy series releases but haven't heard them in quite some time. Never heard the Brackeen.