Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

much as i love the grant green titles, i have to draw the line. after all, they're all (save 'matador') on the complete quartets two disc set. i'm in for 'matador', 'two bones', 'tippin the scales' (that cover is awful...), and, strangely enough, 'drums around the corner'. everything else i already have.

it's a shame 'remembering grant green' isn't in this batch. it was my first ever japanese blue note some decades ago that i have a soft spot for.

3427.jpg

Wow, what a beautifull cover :tup:tup:tup ....i`m full of envy ;) !!!

Until I saw the cover on CDJapan, I didn't realize what album Hank Mobley's Faraway Lands was.The last time i looked up this one, it was $30 or $40 on Amazon. Although the price has now dropped on the previous edition, you can get the SHM for about the same. Mobley, Donald Byrd, Cedar Walton, Ron Carter and Billy Higgins is too irresistible of a lineup for me to pass up.

much as i love the grant green titles, i have to draw the line. after all, they're all (save 'matador') on the complete quartets two disc set. i'm in for 'matador', 'two bones', 'tippin the scales' (that cover is awful...), and, strangely enough, 'drums around the corner'. everything else i already have.

Hey, I have all those titles already too, but I like the sound on these new ones a lot better than earlier editions of material I have, I'm betting on similar improvement and enjoyment with these Green titles. I've been buying big from Japan this year, what with all the Bethlehem, Prestige, CTI, Sony and Blue Note reissues. Gulp. You can't take it with you.

And, *luckily* two of the three Turrentine titles are part of the Mosaic Turrentine Quintets/Sextets set.

UCCQ-5006.jpg?v=1

UCCQ-5003.jpg?v=1

The third title is Z.T.'s Blues with Grant Green which is not included in the Mosaic set. Any ideas about this one (awful sleeve)?

UCCQ-5021.jpg?v=1

Edited by Alexandros

• 2 weeks later...

Oleo has such a great cover, I hope they use the original!

It would be interesting to compare the Tina Brooks title in both XRCD24 and SHM-CD. I have the former and it sounds very good, though I believe the "house signature" of both masterings will make them sound significantly different. There will be a more traditional sound to the former and a more high resoltuion digital sound to the latter is my guess having listened to a number of releases in both series. My guesstimate: the XRCD24 will sound a bit more lp like in tonal balance, image density and soundstage, the SHM-CD will have a deeper soundstage and a bit more of an "edge" to the tonal balance, and a bit more distinctly perceived separation between and space about the instruments.

@jazzbo : thnx for your input !!

I have the SHM and XRCD24 of Art Blakey's A Night In Tunisia. The XRCD24 has (more) extreme stereo separation, Wayne's tenor is really only audible through the right channel. Both series indeed have a signature sound. I'm happy with both.

Frustrating that the CDJapan listings still don't show song titles.

Yes, that is frustrating, because when a listing indicates that it includes bonus tracks, that doesn't necessarily mean that the tracks were previously unreleased (i.e., Frank Foster's Manhattan Fever had the same bonus tracks as the Connoisseur, I believe). I am assuming that Tina Brooks' Back to the Tracks' 2 bonus tracks will be previously unreleased tracks, unless they arbitrarily throw in other tracks from the session that yielded 'Street Singer', which was released on Jackie Mac's Jackie's Bag and was apparently used on Back to the Tracks as a space-filler. I'm a big fan of the album, so I'd gladly pick up an expanded reissue.

Did anyone else notice that the latest series is listed on CDJapan as being limited edition? The earlier entries in the series weren't.

Heads up - Blue John will have several extra tracks.

That's very interesting. There are seven unissued tracks from the same sessions - could have been another album!

Tommy Turrentine (tp-1) George Braith (sop,stritch) Big John Patton (org) Grant Green (g) Ben Dixon (d)

Englewood Cliffs, N.J., July 11, 1963

tk 3 Blue John Blue Note BST84143

tk 14 Nicety (1) -

tk 15 Jean de Fleur (1) (unissued)

tk 27 Extension (1) -

tk 32 I need you so (gb out) -

George Braith (sop) Big John Patton (org) Grant Green (g) Ben Dixon (d)

Englewood Cliffs, N.J., August 2, 1963

tk 16 Hot sauce Blue Note BST84143

tk 20 Bermuda Clay house -

tk 26 Chunky cheeks (unissued)

tk 34 Dem dirty blues Blue Note BST84143

tk 36 Country girl -

tk 45 untitled Patton tune (unissued)

tk 49 Davene -

tk 62 Kinda slick -

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the original Patton discs, but now with those bonus tracks I'm gonna have to pick them up.

Also, I've regretted selling my copies of the TOCJs of Curtain Call and Poppin' for years now. It'll be good to have them back sounding better than ever.