Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

Flurin - I still see the (2007?) release on amazon uk for an affordable price. Maybe it's a ghost - ?

Should read here more often, I guess ... UK has fairly pricey offers by now only, but there was one lone copy around on the continental sites, sold by amazon itself ... snatched it up at a more than acceptable price - not shipped yet, but I'm optimistic!

Thanks for alerting me, David!

Good luck!

It is being processed, so I guess I'm safe! (Provided the post won't freak up ... glad I'm not in Germany, as far as that is concerned.)

When I arrived home this morning after playing tennis I found a box had arrived from CD Japan.

The following SHM-CDs were in the box.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers At Cafe Bohemia, Vol.1

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Mosaic

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Free For All

Clifford Brown Memorial Album

Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay

Horace Silver - Song For My Father

Ike Quebec - Easy Living

JJ Johnson - The Eminent, Vol.1

Jackie McLean Quintet

Larry Young - Unity

Milt Jackson

Sonny Clark - Mt Conception

Sonny Clark - Leapin' and Lopin'

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Jazz, Vol.1

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Jazz, Vol.2

Tina Brooks - True Blue

I'd appreciate any feedback re Cafe Bohemia disc and how it compares to the RVG. I'd a Kenny D nut.

Still have the old McMasters of those ... anyone with any insight into specifics there? The Van Gelders look lovely and I often thought of finally getting them, but then there's still piles of stuff I don't have and want to explore, rather than re-buy things. But it's a slippery slope and I've bought a few of those SHM discs and they're a fine bunch for sure! (So far, I restricted myself to ones adding previously unreleased takes though, even if it's just a second alternate as on "Workout".)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have Cafe Bohemia Vol.1 and it is excellent, but do not own the RVG. I did own the RVG of Ornette's Golden Circle Vol. 1, and while that album was very good, the SHM is even better. There's just the question of Vol.2 ever being made available on SHM for both titles.

Perhaps this April Fool's Day a new batch of SHMs will be announced, but within the time zone Japan is in it's probably 2 April by now.

I think some of these masterings are showing up on HDTracks. I can't be certain but I have a hunch the Shorter's are the same masterings as the SHM's. The titles I already have on CD I don't want to upgrade again. I've spent like every one else, hundreds of dollars on BN's over the years, I don't wanna do that again. Like Lon, I enjoy the RVG series, it helped me get a lot of music that was hard to find previously and IMO only a handful really sucked and I since replaced them.

Have listened to these from the new batch so far:

UCCQ 5098 Donald Byrd: A New Perspective

UCCQ 5102 Herbie Hancock: Inventions & Dimensions +2

UCCQ 5108 Wayne Shorter: Night Dreamer +1

UCCQ 5111 Donald Byrd: I’m Tryin’ To Get Home

UCCQ 5114 Bobby Hutcherson: Dialogue +1

UCCQ 5118 Andrew Hill: Compulsion

UCCQ 5119 Don Cherry: Complete Communion

I'm glad I got each one. Each sounds very very nice.

Have listened to these from the new batch so far:

UCCQ 5111 Donald Byrd: I’m Tryin’ To Get Home

I'm glad I got each one. Each sounds very very nice.

Glad to hear it on this one - I may purchase. Kind of an old favorite.

I like this date a lot too. It screams "Church" to me, brings back sounds of the Philadelphia church I grew up in in the late 'fifties and first half of the 'sixties. It does not sound like most other Blue Notes, so I honestly think that the sound is meant to be different, to give this "I'm sitting in the congregation and this is playing out before me" feel to the sound. I have the TOCJ of this as well, and this SHM-CD offers a bit more clarity and a bit more dynamic contrast. It's never going to be an audiophile sounding session, but it is "transporting" for me.

Interesting to note that Byrd and Pearson are listed as producers (each producing three tracks) in one entry of discogs.com. Alfred Lion of course is listed as producer elsewhere.

Edited by jazzbo

Just that it's not as thick and heavy sounding as the RVG, it seems to let the sound out quicker with no overhang. Just a way that I personally think about reproduced music.

I really like the RVG series, I can turn my treble cut circuit down a little and most sound really good on my system. They have a beefiness to the sound that I prefer to the thin sound of McMasters of any vintage and a vividness and energy that I prefer to the Blue Note Works versions. These new 75th anniversary remasters lack the beefy meatiness of many RVGs, they seem lighter on their feet, quicker. (I guess that's a silly way to talk about music reproduction but I'm silly). They have a very good depth to the sound and there are little details better presented than the RVGs. I'd distill down to one copy of all these dates I now have in the 75th series. . . but I have every US RVG, many Japanese ones, and the entire US Prestige RVG series. Nice to keep whole series that you collected with interest, so I am keeping them. But realistically, I think each of these new remasters that I have are for me the definitive digital version now (I don't do downloads.) Even when a few don't sound that great (Demon's Dance or I'm Trying to Get Back Home for example, not audiophile pleasing recordings) they still sound improved over earlier versions, to me on my systems.

Edited by jazzbo

Cool, thanks for the tip. You are right the RVG's generally have a beefy quality, I remember someone describing them as "electric". I don't have anywhere near what you do system wise (I mainly use headphones-which you don't Audio Technica's which are totally flat, an Onkyo amp, Technics speakers and all my CD's ripped losslessly on my laptop), thank you always for your astute listening and comparisons, it really helps :)

Any news on new alternate takes/bonus tracks?

So far we have:

Lou Donaldson - Here 'Tis

The Three Sounds - Hey There

Joe Henderson - Mode For Joe

Any other titles with unreleased tracks discovered now that the March 2015 batch has been released?

Oh, I guess I'll need to buy "Here 'Tis" again then ... any new Baby Face is great news!

Yes, I'm aware of what has been released, but I think we would have seen them by now from this series mastering if Universal were interested in doing so. We haven't seen them, I suspect we won't. It's fine with me if they issue them, I probably wont' buy them or many of them, but if others want them I'll hope they come out. But I don't expect them to.

Edited by jazzbo